PinkDancerstranger
11 posts

Posted:
I really want to learn fire fans so:

a) what's the difference between fixed and folding fans?
b) which are easier to use?
c) as I like the fact you can 'flick' folding fans open but I like the spinning hole on the static ones (can you still do that on the folding ones)
d) which ones would be best for me - I'm 5"4 and quite petite but I'm a trained dancer so quite strong and I'm ok at poi
finally e) anyone in the chester/cheshire/north west area who wants to teach me? (I also want to learn stilt walking and aerial silks if anyone can help?)

Thank You!! biggrin

Whoever said 'Nothing's Impossible' never tried to nail jelly to a tree

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i dont know about fans but heres some info

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/7_35_120

[Old link]

[Old link]

[Old link]

try those and if you still have questions do a search for fan differences or something like that. A lot of info is on these boards and searching is easy. good luck

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hey, glad to hear your having a go at fans.

I'll warn you now they are completely different to poi!

I've only ever used static fans so unfortuantely can't advise you on that. I'm also small, pretty much the same height as you, but do a lot of dancing and I find the HoP large fans that are in the shop fine for weight etc. THey feel quite awkward at first, but like everything else, its just a case of getting used to it really.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I'd like to echo what pricklyleaf has said: Fans, at least the static HoP ones, feel awkward at first, but you will acclimatise to them.

I have tried both fixed and folding fire fans, and I feel better using fixed fans for their versatility and durability. My style of dance tends to be more aggressive and martial and I'm reliant on throws and fingerspins - difficult to accomplish with folding fans. Folding Fans may be more appropriate for slow, geisha-like dancing which may or may not suited to your desire. I however can speak highly of the fans available on HoP if you wish to go the static route smile

Best of luck on your fans journey hug

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brenn

Folding Fans may be more appropriate for slow, geisha-like dancing which may or may not suited to your desire.

Or for a Tai-Chi style of fan-work. I've noticed a lot of folding and opening within that.

Who wants to see a monkey on fire?

PinkDancerstranger
11 posts

Posted:
Cool - thank you. I don't really know what style of dance I want to do yet, I guess it's a matter of trying it out! Generally I do Ballet, Jazz, Breakdance and Poledance so I can't really say which.

Thank you! biggrin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Collapsible fans are mostly very uncomfi for (between) the fingers, steady ones are usually pretty hard to travel with (size).

Depending on the layout of the collapsible fans, spins are also possible, as is (club) swinging.

As for the rest: come to Goa and we'll teach ya' wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

PinkDancerstranger
11 posts

Posted:
Goa! wow - pay for me to come and I'll be on the next plane out there wink heehee

Yeah, this is the conundrum (awesome word) i'm facing - I do like the look of folding fans, I'm just worried I'll slice my fingers off! I am leaning more towards those tho, because of the ease of transporting them - can you reccomend any?

Thanks for everyone's help btw smile

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
OOO a fellow pole dancer biggrin

I really need to get some more practice with my fans, but unfortunately I need to concentrate on my hoop now. (I say unfortuately but I love it).

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

PinkDancerstranger
11 posts

Posted:
hoop? as in hula hoop?
yeah I do pole dancing and I'm starting learning static trapeeze as of next week! Very exciting! Then as soon as the lovely lady who teaches me gets insurance, she's going to teach me aerial silks as well! biggrin

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
You know, thats really, really weird, I just did my first ever static trapeeze and aerial skills workshop today!

It was amazing, I'm going to have to start going to classes. If you do pole (as in doing more of the chinese pole moves with climbing etc), then you'll probably find trapeeze quite easy to get into, as it feels quite similar.

I had such a great time, I'm buzzing today!

And yes, as in hula hoop.

P.S., sorry everyone going completly off topic, so er, fire fans, yeah.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PinkDancer

Goa! wow - pay for me to come and I'll be on the next plane out there wink heehee

(...) I am leaning more towards those tho, because of the ease of transporting them - can you reccomend any?

Thanks for everyone's help btw smile

You're welcome smile

Goa pays for itself and all you need is the time and courage to take the plunge in the first place. Leaving all expectations and letting go is usually the hardest of all topics (but quite essential).

You won't "slice" your fingers off with rounded spikes assembling the fan. Can I recommend any? Maybe the ones I'm due to have made shortcoming (my metal worker is busy with a months work, so unfortunately not before end of the year) wink . Apart from that: unfortunately not, as fans only resemble a quite recent part of my repertoire, but others can be of more help in that - like _Clare_ for example. Just PM her and (I guess) she'll fix you up right

Enjoy biggrin

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

PinkDancerstranger
11 posts

Posted:
Yay! fans have arrived and they're fab! Heavy, but fab!
Are there any more videos of moves apart from the ones on the lessons page? I've kind of got them and I'm working on them but I want more!!!!! biggrin heehee

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
See this thread...

[Old link]

Ralph Waldo Emerson

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PinkDancer

Yay! fans have arrived and they're fab! Heavy, but fab!
Are there any more videos of moves apart from the ones on the lessons page? I've kind of got them and I'm working on them but I want more!!!!! biggrin heehee

More will be coming once the following is fulfilled at once:

*it's a nice day for filming
*uninterrupted time for filmage
*not being sick
*not being busy

biggrin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

PinkDancerstranger
11 posts

Posted:
don't be sick Brenn, that's a rubbish idea!

Thank you! biggrin