_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I've been working on doing kickups into contact moves (namely angel rolls and fishtails), and i'm looking for some tips on it:

1. what contact moves can be entered from a kickup?
2. how to control how high it goes?
3. moves that put the staff on the foot? there's one drew did from a steve that im working on, and theres stalling a fishtail onto your foot (i think i've seen antti do that, not sure)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
1) probably all of them.

2) don't try and control that, try and get it as high as possible, control of the spin is more important usually. I usually find the problem isn't that it's going too high, but not high enough. If it's too high, just pretend it's a throw into contact, rather than a kickup.

3) bodyrolls. go discover some. Or just throw it onto your foot...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
about 2, my problem is also that it doesnt go high enough and i have to lower my hand to catch it for an angel roll. any tips on getting it higher? or just practice practice practice?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
It's hard... I know, I have the same trouble. either throw it so you can carry it up in fishtail to the correct height for an angel roll. Or just find a way to throw it higher with your legs... experiment with different throws and different positions of your foot on the staff.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
you can kick up into juggling too wink I can normally get the staff up a good couple of metres. into fishtails is easy.so is kickup into saffon staff contact doubles

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
my fav is kickup to snes catching it on your shoulder, controlling the height is just practise, I found practising kicking it up onto the back on my hand allowed me to focus on how hard i needed to kick it to get it to land on my shoulder.

if your having trouble with height shift your foot further away from the center point, make sure that you have a good grip between your two points of contact and work on smoothly (but relatively quickly) kicking it up.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Also try horizontal kick ups. You dont add any vertical spin but make i spin horizontally instead. This is really good for kick ups to 360 halos and steves.
You can place the staff onto your foot from behind (opposite foot to hand) let it spin round one beat, stall and kick up. I think the move is on one of megs old tutorial videos somewhere. Ive been loving this one recently.

"Don't do it naked!"

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
what about a kick up intp a jesus, you have to toss it foot to halo....

or how about doing foot to halo to foot, then back....

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
hey Tankboy, arnt you on tribe?

like the idea of going into a jesus from kick up, im thinking if you could kick it up from behind you could catch it straight into the jesus (so front side) rather than going in via a halo. hmmm will have to try that later, cheers biggrin

"Don't do it naked!"

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
kick up to angel roll to drop to foot opposite side, repeat wink I think there are a lot of variants from a kick up pretty much like most moves. Almost anything you can enter from a throw you could probably do via a kickup.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I tend to like kicking up one staff from the floor onto another staff already in your hands into a staff-on-staff 'Paddle' (a variation on a conveyour belt pivot) and into a halo and assorted variations.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
yep, im me on tribe too :-P

i tried that kick up into a jesus....it was scary as hell, i didnt try it to the front side yet though, having that extra arm to soften to blow seems helpful