Forums > Advanced Staff moves > advanced staff juggling ... let´s go mad !!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
I think its time to restart the staff juggling thread in the advanced forum.

Since quite a few ideas were mentioned in the old thread that don`t seem to really fit in a beginners section.

I would really appreciate if people would post there ideas.
But do me a favor and make a distinction between claiming
to really have a move and random ideas.
it will help reduce misunderstandings
wink
And it will give us a better over view where people are.

To get you started :
I was playing around with a lot of 531522 variations

one is (i think) quite interesting
you know the one throw were you throw a staff as a waist cross and catch it with the other hand on the opposite side of the waist
use it as the 3
it is fun biggrin

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
Big hug to all you guys at the BJC (Chris, Tim & Rob)hug hug hug

I really feel inspired at the moment and I'm feeling a lot better about where my staff juggling is going.

Thanks guys!

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it was good to meet ya, and you've inspired me to learn the antti cascade now, yey! Got 4 throws in yesterday before rain called a stop to it biggrin

Got any further with mikes mess?

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Rob showed me it again the next day and, now that I've figured out the catching position better, I can get much longer runs biggrin Hopefully solid soon with a bit more practice smile

hug

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
yo hello together,

i got a new trick "running" yesterday for the first time:
tataaaa
a "logic" done with (inside) backcrosses & (outside) flats, actually more half turns than flats smile

irinius: what catching position do you use for mikes mess ?
i tryied yesterday to use "snake-position-catches" in order to make the turn smoothers, but censored they are hard catches wink so what did you do ?

thats the only news i have got wink
hope to see you guys soon, for another jam hug

_told the fishfable to wes peden
_heard gloria gaynors "i will survive" 3 times live allready....in the same 20 min performance!

kevstaffjourneyman
51 posts

Posted:
In what pattern do you do your "backross-flat" stuff?
Is it like a shower, in which case I guess it goes "one backcross, one flat, one backross, etc..."
Or cascade, which would go "3 backcross, 3 flat, etc...".

Have you managed to do a "giant arm pirouette" under mike's mess yet? I think I am gonna try it tonight.

And I worked on the boston mess! Sweeet!

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
yo kevin, good to hear from you wink

i totally forgot about giant arm mikes mess...have to try wink

a "logic" is the name (named by mr. irinius) of an inside-outside cascade. so 3 times inside, 3 times outside. in that manner the staffs never have to change direction, and as such the pattern is a "logic" staff pattern smile

so yes i did the kaskade version you descriped. a flatback-logic ubbrollsmile

Written by :kevstaff

And I worked on the boston mess! Sweeet!

eek confused eek
allright, so in flats, or with staffs still turning ?
all same direction or different ?
i never found a way to keep a staff rotating in same direction by underarm throws & catches....
video ? wink

_heard gloria gaynors "i will survive" 3 times live allready....in the same 20 min performance!

kevstaffjourneyman
51 posts

Posted:
Oh ok I didn't know the term, but I do use "logic", I'll try your version of it!

About boston mess I think I'm mistaken... I'm talking about that move you showed me! Kinda like a mill's mess, but with another under-the-arm throw, then turn your hands, ands same think the ther side... argh juggling is hard to explain!

Okay : this, 4'14, but continuesly :

I also tried to do the insidethrows of my logic backcross, but the left side is still too weak...

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:

About boston mess I think I'm mistaken... I'm talking about that move you showed me! Kinda like a mill's mess, but with another under-the-arm throw, then turn your hands, ands same think the ther side... argh juggling is hard to explain!

yo the move i showed you is my version of a rubensteins revenge, i am still not sure if it actually is one...thomas dietz says yes, but other jugglers no...so whom to trust? wink

anyway, i like the pattern, to juggle and to watch..one of my favorites... smile
make video about all the tricks you got!!! how is your 531 going on ?

kevstaffjourneyman
51 posts

Posted:
Yeah I might make a video in about a month when I have more time... (and yes rubenstein's revenge sorry!)

I got the 531 we work on last time, but still having trouble to keep it for more than 3 times... I also work on a "logic" 531 (531 on the outside throws), and on a wicked "on the foot" 531 (I'll post it as soon as I have it!)

Same for you, your videos are always a pleasure to watch!

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:

I got the 531 we work on last time, but still having trouble to keep it for more than 3 times... I also work on a "logic" 531 (531 on the outside throws), and on a wicked "on the foot" 531 (I'll post it as soon as I have it!)

yo a logic 531 is a really good idea smile thank you! i have to try ubbrollsmile

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
hi everyone,
im getting a stiff neck from juggling,its on the back left side of my neck.i think it started from the shower(im left handed) but now training the casacade makes it worse as well.
if i have some time off training these tricks it goes away and when i start training them it comes back,
i warm up well before training and try and relax when juggling,i also dont do really long runs on each pattern.
any ideas?

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Made a pretty nice shower entry last night - out of the cascade throw 7411 with the 7 as a reverse and the 11 just a quick spin from hand to hand and back - they all line up nicely spinning in the same direction and drop into a shower biggrin

I'm pretty sure it could be done with a pirouette while spinning the 11 ubblove but that'll take more work.

Tim, if you're getting consistent problems I'd go see a physio and get some proffessional advice wink

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
 Written by :tim_marston

hi everyone,

im getting a stiff neck from juggling,its on the back left side of my neck....any ideas?

go to a therapist, honest, you have trained your skills for ages, now to loose them would be such a shame, so go and find a good therapist!!!!soon!!!

one exercise from sonja i really enjoy is saying yes&no at the same time wink

make a slow - big - yes (nodding you had) and loads of small gentle no´s (turning right left) at the same time.

BUT thats just a wicked warm up exercise. it won´t help you with allready existing injurys.

dude get help! you are needed to throws staffs for some more years wink hug

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
hey seb
ive been to a chiropracter and he has dome weird things to my muscles which is great and seem to cure the injury/pain,
ive also been to a massage woman who is also a thai chi guru and and ex olympic gymnast/coach she has worked on my posture and taught me lots of stretches to help,
ive got my should injury under control now,the neck thing is irritating,im trying to relax when juggling as im pretty sure its tension causinbg the pain,but its hard to relax when working on the four staffshower etc

ive spent a few hours on the cascade and its coming on well,i can qualify it easily now and have had some 1ups,2ups and a 3up(to a stop),im training it with lots of height and spin variations and really enjoying the fun of having a new a juggling pattern to play with(ive spent 3 years on the shower only)
thanks again for the advise hug hug hugand the inspiration,i drool when i think of the five staff cascade on fire at night in front of a crowd......................so i promise to look after myself and continue to juggle staffs for many years to come

rob im working on some megalight indoor staffs following your idea,i have some fibre glass tubing which im gonna run and ash or beech dowel through,
i am hoping they wont bend as much,
what did you weight your ends with and how do you stop the rod poking thru the tape after being dropped?

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
seb i didnt get to see your show reel in paris,can you send me a link plz

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
hello togehter

i can´t work it out, so how does it work??:

the 3 staff split (vertical!)
-just thrown from one hand,

beautifully executed by josh (min4.01) & tophe(?) (min 3.19)in the "staff juggling only" vid.

all test always end in a horizontal split, not vertical.
please give me a hint. -how do you hold the staffs to start, which end up?

cheerio
sebastian

AnotherCircleBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
Hand, not end, no ?

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Wooo, got a run of 20-odd catches of Mike's Mess over the weekend, and managed 2 connected 531s biggrin

Happy days

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
 Written by :AnotherCircle

Hand, not end, no ?

well hands & staff ends, there must be a way (package) of holding the 3 staffs...but which ?
cheerio, sebastian

PS wotruba is starting to grow wink

kevstaffjourneyman
51 posts

Posted:
hi Seb!

I'd say it's something like this...

Non-Https Image Link

[URL=https://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=410&i=photo311fs7.jpg]biggrin

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
yo kevin;
merci bequcoup wink

this is a difficult hold for my typ of throwing staffs (the ends have much more diametre) but i will try.

i am in paris till monday, working with a director (remi) on a new soloproject for circus ....yiheay (now i know what i will do the next 2 years wink

but monday i am free to juggle....etc; i have to be at orly at arround 18:00; you wanna throw some staffs together?
i am near pointe of serbe??? (end of line9)

well anyway; thank you again, and cya hug seb

AnotherCircleBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
Build throwing staves without cotton-stalks-like ends !

does someone worked 6 staves passing !?

started it with kev, need to try again !!!
EDITED_BY: AnotherCircle (1217262944)

kevstaffjourneyman
51 posts

Posted:
argh sorry seb I just read your post, I left like 30 minutes after I posted, and came back only today!

It would have been a pleasure though! Next time, hopefully!

See ya!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Maybe using 1.4 metres staffs is why tricks are eluding me at this point...

What size do most of you use at the moment...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Mine are only 90cm...

I can do a fair bit of stuff with 120s, not tried anything bigger though, and underarm stuff is still tricky.

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
yeah 900mm same

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

kevstaffjourneyman
51 posts

Posted:
1m for me

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
staff lenghts depends a lot onto your body size -arm length

personal guidlines for 3 staff juggling:

short staffs (90-100) make underarm throws/catches
(like mills mess, mikes mess, etc) a lot easier.

long staffs (100 - 120) make bigger pictures wink and you have to move much more with your body undernieve..
not only by walking arround, also by bending your body...for me it taught me a lot about the rhythm of the patterns.
when you swing / dance undernieve, your whole body knows how a shower mills feels...maybe thats just geeky wink

most important: weight! robs hyperlights (?) are inspiring in that way. a bit too light for my taste thou wink

oh and cosy grip & soft cover ends make life even more comftable wink

everybody at EJC ?

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Nah can't make the EJC frown Bristols the next one for me.

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:

argh sorry seb I just read your post, I left like 30 minutes after I posted, and came back only today!

It would have been a pleasure though! Next time, hopefully!

See ya!

yo next time for sure, i will be back in paris no worris wink

Page: ......