Forums > Advanced Staff moves > Antispin Staff? How the bloody..?

Login/Join to Participate

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
All right, well, I have no idea how to spin a staff antispin. I obviously understand the term, but does it involve finger twirls or wrist wraps or something? I just can't understand how it could be done. And yes, I have searched the threads. I would greatly appreciate the help. I also plead that MCP and Coleman don't confuse me with their big words to explain things tongue

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
wave

https://imakokode.org/Antispinenglish.doc

an amazingly good document by Imakokode

see the first diagram on page 5 for what you want

basically one end is going up and down in a verticle line, the other is going from side to side.

the end going up and down goe up in front of you, and down behind you.

the end going left and right travels in front of you.

to start with I find it's easier to have the staff at 45 degrees

that's how I do it anyway:

make sense? shrug

what I'm describing is a very basic form of antispin that traces a cross shape. For other ones, I suggest you examine the document provided smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

addict
567 posts

Posted:
I think I understand the frontal plane spinning antispin, but, I still don't get the sides.. I feel dumb sounding so "noobish" but, is there a possibility of seeing a short clip of antispins? Like, relatively zoomed in, so I could see the hand movements. Thank you very much, I appreciate the help.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

so;

first of all you want to engage your antispun nodes through sincere contemplation of the line and the cross. circular motion is not encouraged, though may be revisited after years of fasting.

antispun patterns are not for the faint of heart. Are you sure you want to commence this long journey of hardship and thwarted desire to the land few men, and even fewer women, and meg, have entered willingly?

Geometry must be your friend if you begin this arduous trek. please refer to Euclid, Wiles, Pythagorus and upon completion of your studies, patterns such as this will be your oyster:

Non-Https Image Link

Antispin is a part of geometry concerned with questions of size, shape, and relative position of staffs and with properties of space. Antispin is one of the oldest sciences. Initially a body of practical knowledge concerning rotations, central nodes and non-linear movement, in the third century B.C. antispin was put into an axiomatic form by Euclid, whose treatment set a standard for many spinners in centuries to follow. Astronomy served as an important source of geometric problems during the next one and a half millennia.

Introduction of box-planes by Descartes and the concurrent development of algebra marked a new stage for antispin, since geometric figures, such as plane curves, could now be represented analytically. This played a key role in the emergence of trammels in the seventeenth century. Furthermore, the theory of perspective showed that there is more to antispin than just the positional properties of planes. The subject of antispin was further enriched by the study of intrinsic structure of geometric objects that originated with Euler and Gauss and led to the creation of topology, atomic planes and differential geometry.

Since the nineteenth century discovery of hybridised geometry, the concept of antispin has undergone a spectacular transformation. Contemporary antispin considers manifolds, spaces that are considerably more abstract than the familiar Massonic Space, which they only approximately resemble at small scales. These spaces may be endowed with additional planes, allowing one to speak about negative space. Modern antispin has multiple strong bonds with physics, exemplified by the ties between hybridised antispin and general relativity. One of the youngest physical theories, string theory, is also very hybridised in flavour.

The visual nature of antispin makes it initially more accessible than other parts of spinning, such as wibbling or geek theory. However, the geometric language is also used in contexts that are far removed from its traditional, Euclidean provenance, for example, in fractal spinning, and especially in gradient and cone theory.

incidentally, and slightly off-topic, gradient spinning allows you to work with pattern matrices such as this one, leading to fantastic new concepts within spin and antispin:

Non-Https Image Link

here is a photo of meg spinning staff using this technique:

Non-Https Image Link

i hope this post has been clear and meaningful, and enables you to go forth and multiply your antispun patterns smile

enjoy.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol

Freeking geeks..

Getting to the other side smile

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
awesome rant, Rob ubbloco ubblol

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
To answer your question on a more serious note.. antispin is arm movement in one rotational direction with prop movement in the opposite rotational direction. This can be accomplished with finger rolls, wrist wraps, or just normal grip, and many of the folks that I know of use a combination of all of them to one degree or another.

The two simplest antispin patterns that I can think of do not require any more than a normal grip. The single staff antispin culminates in the previously mentioned pattern (diagram on page 5 of the linked doc). Start with a center grip arm in front of you. The outer wick will cross horizontally in front of you, the inner wick will cross vertically in front and behind you. I'd describe it more, but video saves me the trouble smile, check 00:38 on the following linked vid.

There's tons of antispin patterns in there, and as you see, some are done with finger rolls some without. Often it's a matter of one wick moving from one side of the body to the other so that odd finger/wrist contortion is not necessary. Illusion is a powerful tool.

Peace,
- Sui
(It's funny how antispin is sooo married to Geometry, eh BlueCat?)

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

addict
567 posts

Posted:
Thank you verrrrry much Bluecat and Suibom.

Suibom, that video was extremely helpful, aswell as your words. I'll continue studying it, but unfortunately, I don't have any staves right now.. xD

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
hahaha BlueCat, that was beautiful!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
(meg may or may not be partially responsible, sorry, raverepresent

shame on you, Sui, ubblol

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
Sui