Forums > Technical Discussion > Making cyborgized spinning props

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
So as everybody upon everybody knows, (pobbles are happiest without their toes) some dude connect up a digital compass to a bunch of vibration packs on a belt. So that he would feel a vibration on the front of his tummy when facing north, on his back when facing south etc. He then wore it continuously for a few months.

After a while his brain began to ignore the vibration stimuli and became aware that it referenced the compass direction. He gained an 'instinctive' sense of where he was in his home city and obviously what direction he was pointed in. Just thanks to this belt.

Obviously there are other experiments with rewiring your senses to tell you dew information. Your tongue can be used as a visual sense for instance... or hearing as a visual sense also, thou that's pretty hard to do. Touch as well.

But I'm more interested in putting accelerometers in staff and poi, and gaining a sense of their rotation and movement through space. I don't really know what this would achieve but it would certainly be fun. I'm pretty sure blind balancing would become very easy.

Now, this thread is hopefully going to be about how to make a prop like this.

It might be the case that the easiest answer is to buy a couple of wii remotes and get them to talk to a belt which had vibration packs of some kind, mobile phone / childs toy / electronic component of some kind. Wiimotes are good cos they have all the tech in them already, and can communicate too, but I think it might require a lot of precessing power on the belt itself to talk to them.

The other plan is: 3 accelerometers... (thou I don't know if they measure rotation around the long axis of a staff.) and some kind of short range wireless communication to the belt. (along with a battery.)

On the belt you'd need some processor to sort out the signal from the accelerometers, as well as a way to receive it, and then route to one or a few of the vibration packs. And a battery obviously.

And then a comfy belt to wear it on, as well as a way to make sure it's always on the same place each day / practise session.

I think pic chips (or more advanced things) will come into it, but beyond that I don't know. And obviously, connecting it up to a display and making pretty pictures should be quite easy...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I was digging through some of my hyperlight experiments the other day and came across one of the accelerometer tests. Here's what a three beat weave looks like:

Non-Https Image Link

smile

Cake or Death?

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
That is so COOL in such a lame fashion!
*nerdgasm*

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

ugoAgogoBRONZE Member
112 posts

Posted:
I like this thread.

It is good. yup

Ive been thinking about this sorta thing for a while now.
Using bluetooth Wiimotes to trigger things in either Pois or staffs. However my plan is to connect to Synthesizers for a sorta audio/visual performance.

whatcha this space. . . im sure it will get sorted soon:)

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. . . . . . . . . . . . . ZAP

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
offtopic

Your name reminds me of Un'goro Crater

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

ugoAgogoBRONZE Member
112 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Poje

offtopic

Your name reminds me of Un'goro Crater

your off topic!! Not me!

Hguo

ugoAgogoBRONZE Member
112 posts

Posted:
warscraft. booo¬!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
hahah ubblol

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
I've been working with the Arduino hardware and Processing software environment for about a month now, and making the two work together. I love how the people in charge have made these tools SO easy for non-computer-science-geeks to use. Being a computer science geek just makes them all the more lovely to use wink

My idea is to ditch accelerometers completely, but simply place IR diodes on the tips of a staff, which should be detectable by a webcam. The image from the webcam can then be fed into Processing, and with the right code, the tips of the staff can be isolated from the rest of the image. It's only a 2D representation of what your spinning looks like, but meh, your planes should be up to the task anyway.

So once the computer has an image of just the tips of your staff, you can tell Processing to add effects and trails (think of iTunes music visualiser) to your "points" on the ends of your staff. (Processing is used primarily by artists to *code* art pieces together).

So ummm yeah smile I think I've just described what motion capture does, in a fairly budget fashion. If only we had one of those motion-capture suits with all the sensor-balls stuck on it ...

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: akgraphics

If only we had one of those motion-capture suits with all the sensor-balls stuck on it ...

is that very hard to do? couldnt you use the same technology your talking about sticking on the ends of the staff as on a suit

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

ugoAgogoBRONZE Member
112 posts

Posted:
this guy is the mutts

https://www.pjotro.com/site.php

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Keep an eye on Procrastinerring ...Johnny Chung Lee who runs the blog as some good stuff on using wii remotes and IR LEDs. Hiw next project involves using two remotes for 3D tracking smile

Cake or Death?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
these look interesting: https://gumstix.com

gps and wifi add on boards... Hmmmmmmm. Now if I knew how to connect up a 3 axis accelerometer to em, I'd be sorted...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Page: