Forums > Help! > 2003 Licensing Act - any stories? (UK)

Login/Join to Participate

Azinewbie
13 posts

Posted:
I've been having to research an issue concerning the Arts and I chose to look into the new Licensing Act and how it's affecting small circuses and Street Performers

So...I was wondering if any UK Street Performers out there have had any problems due to the introduction of the 2003 Licensing Laws and, if so, would you share some stories with me?

Thanks very much!

EDITED_BY: Azi (1180794852)

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hi Azi.

You'll get more reponses by putting "UK - 2003 Licensing Act - any stories?" or something similar as the title.

That way people do not have to open this thread to see if they can contribute...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Azinewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Advice taken.

Thanks.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
If you haven't done so already, I would suggest posting this query also on performers.net where more professional street performers hang out.

And I'm interested to see any responses that you get - I'm currently researching a thesis on the recognition of circus as an artform in Ireland and the UK, so there's a bit of an overlap in places.

You might also find this useful.

Best of luck smile

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
It might be worth contacting Ashton Court Festival (www.ashtoncourtfestival.com) as they nearly went bankrupt as the licensing act nearly crippled them.

They have spent this year trying to raise funds to ensure the festival's future. They are run by volunteers so might be up for helping out...

Gayle.....!

Azinewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Man, I had all but given up on this!
I've been trying to research this for months and not one person I've tried to contact has gotten back to me!

That's really helpful. Thanks very much!