Forums > Technical Discussion > Kevlar Rope in South Africa? (Joburg)

Login/Join to Participate

xxCassxxBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know of anywhere in Joburg that sells kevlar rope? I really want to make myself a set of snake poi.... Or does anyone know of any other material i could use or anywhere that would ship to SA... I'm dying here! Please help

** FlOoPy wHirLyGiGs oF tRaNcYnEsS AnD ChOcOlAtE cOaTeD iNsAniTy **

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
The shop here sells several sizes of kevlar rope and other wicking suitable for making fire-snakes.

I believe they ship to almost anywhere except for a few countries such as Nigeria which we all know to avoid doing business with... :-)

Have you ever made snakes before?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
I come from SA. Order your stuff from HOP, it's better quality than anything you'll get out there, well as far as I could find anyway.

smile

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

xxCassxxBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
No never...but a few of my friends have them....any tips though? Also i tried odering a dvd a while back from HOP and it hasn't arrived yet or is lost so i'm a bit sceptical....

xxCassxxBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Thanks, i'll go have a look.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
 Written by: xxCassxx

No never...but a few of my friends have them....any tips though? Also i tried odering a dvd a while back from HOP and it hasn't arrived yet or is lost so i'm a bit sceptical....

I think that will probably have more to do with the South African postal service than anything else. I've posted 3 packages to SA. One got through fine, one showed up 8 MONTHS after I sent it (covered in tape as customs or someone must have hade a nose) and the third has gone AWOL.

*shrug* Otherwise PM Zenooph or lost83spy (both on HOP). Both are spinners in the Joburg area and probably haven't noticed this post yet. smile

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

xxCassxxBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
confusion....i think i meant to send that reply to charles....i really need to get the hang of the forums here... Anyway i think that is to do with the SA post service. they're useless. Employees will nick anything that looks interesting. Thanks for the help though. I'll get in touch with the people you mentioned.

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
If you really really want it bad, you can use courier or tracking option for shipping - more expensive of course, but less likely to go missing when we can track it.
And for your other order that's gone missing - PM or send a message to me or support at homeofpoi dot com and we'll look into it tomorrow at work.

cheers
George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Hey cass!

I'm in Cape Town. I ordered a DVD from HOP - It took about 6 weeks! Oh, and take cash when you collect it from the post office - It was a surprise when they billed me with import tax (should have seen it coming!).

As for your ropes, go to www.firetribe.co.za. Only the poi are listed as products, but I have staff, poi and ropes from firetribe. I have been to the UK and played with HOP toys. I can safely say that firetribe make very good quality toys with very good quality materials.

Send me a PM if you need help with anything else.

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
this is un related to the kevlar rope issue but when my Cousin lived in mexico we had alot of trouble sending her birthday pressies and stuff.

One trick we did fined though was that if we made the package look as boring as posible it would usually get through. for example if we said that it containted office supplies and paper, or some thing like that it would usually get thorough.

Granted you should be carefull doing this you don't want to get in trouble or anything like that. So we just bent the truth a little to make what ever was in the package sounds as boring as posible.

For example Poi DVD = Educational Training video

Just thought it might be of some help. : )
Jane

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

xxCassxxBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
aahhh. I like the way you think lady. Very good idea.