Forums > Help! > Cleaning white rubber stage balls

Login/Join to Participate

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
I thought I'd post some help rather than ask for it (for a change) smile

I have some 100mm rubber stage balls of the £5ish variety. If you have any of these you'll know that they love pick up anything they touch and, if they touch any thing that can stain, they WILL stain. In my case, I managed to get ink (biro type ink) on one and, I think, chocolate on another.

I tried various removal methods (including 70% ethanol and acetone) but they didn't work so I looked around and found an unusual solution on a stain removal forum.

Oxy 10 (a spot and acne treatment) (UK and, I think, US)

It'll take multiple applications but it will eventually bleach the stain (I don't know how well it'd work on coloured balls as it may well bleach the colour off them aswell as the stain). Apply some cream and leave it overnight, repeat until you're done.

Other things they recommend are 'rubbing alcohol', WD40 and hairspray but I didn't have them / couldn't get them / didn't want to try the others on my balls. They would all be cheaper solutions though.

Hope I've saved someone some trouble. There are probably better solutions out there and, if so, I'd like to hear them biggrin

Oh, and if you're going to try it, make sure you're not allergic to it / don't let the cream come into contact with your skin!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
humm, that's a new application for such cream... wow

You should maybe contact their PR department and let them know about it too... smile

Great help offered hug thankx

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
iso-pro-pul (?) alcahol... or pannel cleaner.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
Is that maybe isopropanol?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
*shug* dunno, daaaaaave!

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
That should be spelled 'isopropyl'...or basic rubbing alcohol...and yes, Oxy 10 is sold here in the States...very harsh stuff...!!!

You might try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser if it's not an absorbed stain...if it's just surface...those damn things are amazing...!!!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin