Page:
Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
Someone mentioned this on another topic, and I thought it sounded worth its own post.

It sounded like poi battles were like MC battles or break battles, but at raves. Can someone give more details? Do you have poi battles in your area?

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i'm just confused about this glow and fire business.

we use socks with balls in round these here parts, mister

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i caught me a fishy!

myst, dude, chill!

consider the earlier statement "I don't think I'm better than anyone, But I'm definatly Not Worse!"

there's of load stuff we spin over here that you can't spin with fire - don't be so quick to assume that the little you've seen on video is the sum total of our abilities - i've haven't even been on one yet!
mind you, there's probably a good reason for that

i personally only manage to spin fire once a week or so, the rest of the time i use practice poi (orange sock poi or nets with a juggling ball in on the end of a string) or aerotech balls (or if you'd prefer 'heavier, more complex, rechargable, two-colour spherical glowsticks').

now i'm thinking how good catches and contact stalls would look with fire...

*...scampers off to check out prices of kevlar gloves...*

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
now pay attention...I AM a fire twirler, i ALSO twirl glowsticks, which i prefer. I dont tell people moves because yes they ARE mine they are what gives me MY style, if someone else were to learn them from me then it would go on and on through different people and everyone would string alike. thats why i dont tell people moves. cause i believe everyone should have their OWN style and not be a bunch of clones. When i say YOU WOULDNT UNDERSTAND, its cause you really wouldnt, i would have to sit with you and show you certain things. now as i was saying, fire poi v.s glowstick poi, fire OWNS, but fire poi v.s glowstringing apples and oranges. now glass when did i say id beat your ass, or that you were inferior to glowstringers??? now stop acting like an ass. its like this, you're not stupid for not understanding the differences, its just no ones done anything to prove to you that there were. dont take me stating this as an attack on fire performers, cause its far from it. now may we drop this here? if not just AIM me at MistykOne or IM me on my AOL sn JustCause21m shyt send me an email to MistykOne@juno.com

-Myst

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

MiSsFrOgmember
187 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
@myst

Non-Https Image Link

Its not easy being green....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am suddenly having tremendous flashbacks! Shouldn't this be in the nastalgia (Old vs. New) thread?
Does this mean I get to say my old fav statement again (from before the "Do a Search" chant became popularized).

Chill guys or else I'll have to open a can of whoop arse (or bite as Myst would have it)!

And Myst, if you don't like it being called "poi" then why are you on Home of Poi???
Fact of the matter is, speaking in terms of poi spinning, what we do with fire is not poi spinning either, what I have seen people do with flags, comets, yo-yo's, strange tethered toys is not poi. It has become a generic term that we all must deal with.

And for the "newbies"...Myst is one of our favorite instigators from waaaaaay back...I think he is just being all nastalgic and giving us a hard time for shytes and giggles! Just think of him as that old cute man around the corner who shoots his mouth off cause his sanity left him ages ago!

Love ya Myst!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
love ya too pele. but i dont have a problem with it being called POI, there really is a difference between spinning glowsticks like poi and glowstringing. glowstick poi is doing all the poi moves you know dancing with them around you. glowstringing however, is a mix of that but more about wraping combos. EX: wrapping as many body parts as you can on after another after another. glowstringing is more about how technical your wraps are and how many you do, glowstick poi is about what poi moves you can transition with and how well you dance and have a good time. so I may STILL to this day come accross as earger to argue but i assure you im not. anytime i see someone write somehting thats not true, like "you have a problem with it being called poi" or anyhting else, i wont hesitate to explain whats on my mind. MUAH no worries pele.

-Myst

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I think you have done a good job makeing my point. Thanks.

BTW have you even watched any of the recent videos? Take a look in the video forum.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
still

not saying that pois dont wrap..... but they move more with the 'motion of poi'.....

strings wrap more......

hold on, you are using a weight on the end of a string? Isnt this just a style debate?

I wanna do it all, and I share it all to get there.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
speaking from the veeeery rare (he he jokes) NON-cocky raver point of view i loooooooove fire, maybe more than glowsticks sometimes but it doesnt really matter coz round my parts we throw our own raves where the fire spinning is more predominant than the glowsticking.

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
glowstringers: wrap combos
fire poi: poi moves,dance movement
can you compare those? neither is better its just a preferance. its as simple as that.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
weights on strings = everything.

T

-><- Kallisti

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Back on topic:

I've tried the poi battle style where the two people try to not hit eachother's poi. It doesn't work to good for freestyle spinning, as most of my crew has a wide variety of combos, our style (freeform) doesn't work with that type of battle.

The break dance circle is great though. I've participated in them (but with poi) right in between two breakers. They don't mind a bit, especialy if you throw in a lot of beakdance steping (capoiera style) it just drives em wild, they love seeing a glowstringer do their style while stringing (a little gratuitouse kung fu doesn't hurt either). I have seen glowstring battles become break battles and via versa, and I've seen them become one. Lets face it, you have a circle of people wanting to watch cool moves, be they glowy or break, it's all good, and if you can combine the two well, ......you da man!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Myst, you are wrong in regards to fire poi. you said "wrap combos" are what defines glowstringing. However, I must dissagree with this statement.

The truth is, the only REAL difference is speed. Glowstring wrap combos are faster than fire wrap combos. That is truely the only difference. (this coming from the artist formerly known as the "Wrap Master Funk"

The reason; is that fire poi are heavier and thus move slower. And fire is more dangerouse to do head wraps with.

With the proper protection, all wrap combos can be performed safely with fire.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I don't see any point in dividing shit up. You are putting glowstringing and fire poi in their own categories and defining them rather specifically based on a single aspect (wrapping combos) That totally stiffles creativity. I don't quite understand it. You can do anything with glowsticks that you can do with fire with a couple of exceptions, and with really light tubecore wicks you can't quite match the speed of glowsticks but you can approach it. But really it seems youre more interested in competing/showing off then learning. Otherwise you would share your moves. You can definatly have your own style even if everyone sle knows your moves (Ok maybe if your only style is highspeed wrap combos, there isn't much room for individual expression because you are limiting yourself so much)

I love the crazy high speed wrap combos ravers do with their glowsticks. Once I find a good sturdy set of glowsticks im going to spin them untill they go dim and use them for another set of practice poi so I can explore the possibilities of fire and glow poi.

Edit extra ranting:It seems typical that ravers want to classify poi styles so narrowly, I mean these are the same kids who so disgustingly over classified electronic music that they almost choked originality.

[ 19. June 2003, 08:37: Message edited by: Astar ]

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
It could also be argued that staff and poi are the same thing, because they both involve spinning objects.

Just because two things can be grouped together according to one definition doesn't mean that they're the same thing. Fire and glow are both weights on strings but the aesthetics and motions associated with both could not be more different.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
you could argue that tylenol and prozac are the same thing, but that would be a huge stretch. (staff and poi)

But you would be correct in grouping prozac and weekly time release prozac together in the same category. (poi and glow stringing)

884 posts

Posted:
Astar, that's true...I don't think I explained my point well enough...both your post and Dantana's came up while I was writing mine. I'm at work now, so I'll have to clarify later.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
wrap master funk...this turned to a fire poi v.s glowstick thread, and there are big differences between them. so my point is they cant be compared. a glowstringer cant go up and battle a poi'er, it just wouldnt work. My fire twirling style is a hybrid of fire poi and glowstringing. i KNOW whats possible with fire poi. im done argueing L8z

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
why not? It's not that much harder to speed up wrap combos, heh.

884 posts

Posted:
Okay here's what I wanted to write earlier. I now have a good example of what I was talking about, as well.

I remember a debate a while back about whether or not you were truly flagging if you had handles on your flags. The debate went on for a long time, but eventually, someone pointed out (I think it was Mike/Lightning) that there is a difference between *flagging* and *spinning flags* (ie. with handles). Everyone seemed to agree with this conclusion. I sure think it's a good one.

Basically, this shows how a small difference in apparatus can radically change how the apparatus is used and hence the style, even if you're technically doing the same thing with them. *Flagging*, with no handles, means you can't continuously spin a flag on one side without it wrapping up. This restriction would change the style of those who flag with respect to those who spin flags, despite the fact most would consider them the same.

The same thing applies to glow and fire. The different properties of each make certain kinds of moves condusive to each, thus causing the style of each to evolve in different directions, because the selective pressures are different. The weight of glowsticks and ability to wrap has its obvious influences on the style of glowstickers. The look of fire and inherent danger his its obvious influences on the style of firespinners. Yes, it is possible to do any with glow that you can do with fire, and vice versa. I don't doubt there is an underlying technical theory, because you *are* doing the same thing with different objects. But, with each you have a unique set of advantages, influences, aesthetics, and purposes.

Keep in mind that people here are very dedicated and openminded and like to play with everything, so style might appear universal, being applied to different sets of toys. But think of it this way...do you see the same spinning at a rave that you would see at burning man? No. The styles and cultures that surround them are entirely different.

What we have on this board is unique because these cultures blend and take from each other in many different ways. But because they blend, it doesn't mean they are the same. It just means that all spinners would fall in multidimensional continuum of influences. But remember, continuums need poles, such as those of the styles of fire and of glow and of flags and others. Without them, there would be homogony, and it's clear that everyone does not have the same roots.

Anyways, I think this is yet another one of those things that may just come down to opinion. Astar, your point about tylenol/prozac is a good one, and very valid, but it does come down to how you feel about it. I see glowsticking and firespinning as tylenol and prozac, not poi and staff.

Anyways, let's keep up the debate, this is interesting stuff.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
just so you know, MYST, I wasn't attacking you good buddy.

I just couldn't resist challenging your "over general" statement regarding glow/fire. Actually I sort of agree with your view on it. But not totaly.

I think everybody that has posted has a good point to make.

Anyways, what was the original topic?

884 posts

Posted:
There was an original topic?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I guess what im trying to do is break the percived distinction, party (well, mostly) cos I want to know what an earth myst can be hiding up his sleve (very self-assured dot you think?) but also cos if you want to do it all, then style, social or contextual convention and personal history ( ) kneed to be dropped.

they are definitions and as such are not helpfull for creativity, which needs to work outside the traditional, or known definitions.

T

p.s. Im not getting on at you myst, tho I do want to know thease fablouls moves that no-one else knows and you cant describe.

-><- Kallisti

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
LMAO the funny thing is DJ dantana, I in all likelyhood would OWN you with fire wraps. as i said i have a hybrid style of glowstringing and fire poi. to me dancing with the fire isnt enough i want to touch it, play with it, get as technical as i can with wraps. to me wraps are more important even when i twirl fire, but im always sure to throw a bunch of poi in aswell just to show my dynamics so people cant walk away saying, THAT GUY COULD WRAP but he sucked at poi. anyway, i grow tired of the glow vs fire argument. e mail me if you want to trade vids dj dantana. i got one from june 8th at 1:30 am. I also got one shirtless with wraps, though its not as good cause it was cold as shyt at that party. LOL. ohhh and i know neck wraps are possible with fire, I do those as well, also a few other things on my neck you prolly havent seen with fire so trade me vids. mine are WMV's unfortunatly cause the Mpegs are WAY to big to send out. so you wont see everymove in its clearest, but you'll deffinatly see why i laughed when you were saying wraps are possible with fire. hit me up.

-Myst

AIM: mistykone
AOL: justcause21m

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hey myst,

were you on the first CoL video? the one who didnt tidy his bedroom?

N

-><- Kallisti

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
ROFL...HELL NO, I was the one that filmed pozee's part in COL2. now now kids..behave.

-Myst

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
you probably WOULD own me on wraps. I have been focusing mostly on dance for the last year or so, letting my wraping just sort of remain stationary. I removed the "wrap master funk" nickname from my signature after watching some REAL wrap masters (chicago video). Maybe one day I will revive that passion...

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
myst, check you PM.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
also im not sure where this turned into a glowstring vs fire poi debate. I believe it was a
balanced happy individuals vs cocky kids debate.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
poi battles...lets talk about them some more?!?!?

Page: