ishkadoodlesGOLD Member
journeyman
61 posts

Posted:
so I emailed my local fire chief to see if I'd need a permit to dance with fire in public areas. I explained poi and fans very well but the response I got wasn't very helpful... "You do not need a permit as long as you keep the fire 3x3x3 and it is
contained in some type of a pit or ring." so I'm tempted to get a very large hola hoop and just dance in the middle of that, since its a ring, I just don't really know how to explain the 3x3x3 bit...the fire itself is less than 3x3x3 but it moves in a greater area than 3x3x3...I'm confused...

thought i'd share it for amusement purposes and maybe someone has a better idea of what he ment. I want to avoid getting in trouble for this...I'm trying really hard but he's not helping!!! *sigh* weavesmiley

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I think he's being helpful enough smile

I expect he just means a space that's three metres wide, by three metres deep, with three metres of clearance... although, I'd give it 5x5x5 at least, if I were you.

As for the ring... just mark out your space using rope or barrier, so that no-one aimlessly wanders into you... you'd be surprised how many people don't actually see flaming balls of fire until it's too late.

smile

Getting to the other side smile

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Clare_

I think he's being helpful enough smile

I expect he just means a space that's three metres wide, by three metres deep, with three metres of clearance... although, I'd give it 5x5x5 at least, if I were you.
smile

seeing as its the US, I expect he means feet, not meters. That'd be my first reaction

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Oh... that's not much!

Make it metres... and double it smile

Getting to the other side smile

ishkadoodlesGOLD Member
journeyman
61 posts

Posted:
yeah I thought 3x3x3 feet was a bit small myself. i guess we'll have to play around a bit and see what happens? has anyone here ever gotten arrested for fire spinning? I know different areas have different laws regarding fire but it would still be interesting to know

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and take a wild ass guess that the minute your fire chief heard the words "open flame" he responded with the regulations written for campfires, or backyard burning...hence the dimensions of the "fire"

If Minneapolis is anything like here, then the officials have nothing in place to accommodate weirdos like us and hopefully they never will and just keep up a "we don't want to know, just go do whatever it is you do and don't bother us..or anybody else with it" attitude.

ishkadoodlesGOLD Member
journeyman
61 posts

Posted:
yeah, I'm guessing you're right. I did try to point out the differences between bonfire and fire dancing but *shrug* what they don't know won't hurt them... I'll just keep his card on me when I spin and if we get crap for it I'll say I've already talked to him!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Clare_

... you'd be surprised how many people don't actually see flaming balls of fire until it's too late.

smile

ubblol isnt that the truth, when you stand in one place at a festival spinning leds (i mean standing, not moving at all) and people walk up behind you, get hit, then scold you....retards ubblol

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
Im a firefighter in Wisconsin, and a fire spinner. When he is saying 3x3x3 I think you were just sent a standard fire info thing, about controlled burns. The 3x3x3 is in feet and means the size of the flame can be no larger than that, and has to be inside of a fire ring of some sort. He is not talking about how you can move around with it. This is a pretty standard city regulation. Outside of city limits you can have bonfires and whatnot in most areas. Fire prone areas may have restrictions on such things though, like no unattended open flames or large fires.

If this is just for spinning fire poi or staff or something I would not worry about it at all, as long as you are not chasing people around of course. I live in a large city and we go just outside of central downtown near a college campus (UW Madison) and spin fire there. We had a cop stop and watch us for a bit. As long as you look like you are in control of what you are doing you should be just fine.

"Runs with Scissors"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
eek performing in public spaces (eventually with crowds of people) and without a barrier umm ...

the formula 3x3x3 (METRES in Germany) would resemble the (minimal) space you have to nominate for yourself when performing with fire (whereas I understand that is not what he meant)...

A rope on the ground or a line drawn with chalk certainly isn't enough. You'd need tape (like that "police line" - so maybe "poi/ performance line - do not cross") or a solid barrier in at least 2-3 ft hight, so ppl can recognise it as what it is... a barrier - or a stage inside.

As long as nothing happens, you're fine (most of the time). If the ** hits the fan and you have had no dedicated area, no fire blanket, no fire-extinguisher.... none of that .... you'd be... let's say "in trouble".

The cops are cool (most of the times) - as ubersmack put it - but by the time something happens, that attitude can turn 180 in a split second.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

but by the time something happens, that attitude can turn 180 in a split second.

This is of course why we ALL practice our saftey techniques and set a good responsible example for everyone watching. smile

As far as the marking off an area, whenever we are spinning around any sort of crowd of people we will mark off a large circle on the ground and have your spotter stop anyone who starts walking through your circle and/or have you stop spinning to avoid putting a flaming poi in there face.

"Runs with Scissors"

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Just the other day I got an e-mail from the Chief Fire Marshall in East Lansing MI saying they are using HoP info and our Fire Safety DVD to draft their policy for using fire poi in their city!!! devil

I've asked them if we can help and help distribute the result around other cities so they'll be sensible and largely the same and we'll see what comes of that.

Isn't it exciting when "the officials" listen to you?!

George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well done!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
hey very cool, I should wander over there sometime

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

raetoonewbie
8 posts

Posted:
smile I want to live in a city that needs a policy for using fire poi. I say "fire poi" around here & people start edging away from me... ubbloco

Beware the mental parts when disassemble the yo-yo.

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
I would actually rather be in a place with no rules, they will limit what you are able to legally do.. not saying i would do anything bad but you get the point.

"Runs with Scissors"

3,556 posts

Posted:
play within rules and legal problems are less likely to ensue

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

play within rules and legal problems are less likely to ensue

exactly, you shouldnt have to be in a place were fire spinning is regulated b/c something happened that there is a need to do such. Kind of what i was attempting to say.. :P

"Runs with Scissors"

3,556 posts

Posted:
if there are no rules, there ar no limits
so if someone gets hurt and they decided sue there is no precedence either
if there are laws then you can say you did everything you could within the laws to prevent injury or damage

Faith

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
That's pretty awesome georgemc, I hope they do it right with regards to spinners then.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin