Posted:
What do you think about flying poi?

Flying Poi on Youtube

HyperFlyz.com

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
honestly, not impressed. Not that you aren't good or anything, I personally can't tell from a bunch of pictures too close to you that simply fade colors. Make a video, zoom out a bit, show some actual movement and then we'll talk.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
well I had a look at youe site: A bit curious about this in the FAQ:

Q: Hyperplanes vs Poi are can they do the same tricks?

A: There are certain tricks that can only be done with HyperPlanes. And the planes can of course do all the regular poi tricks...

out of interest, what tricks can only be done with Hyperplanes? cos they look just like poi to me... confused

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I like the pose in the last picture!

"Take that, math!"

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'd like to ditto Lazy Angel's question smile

Also, why are the Fire Planes actually LED Planes, not fire at all...? wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FlyingPoiGuynewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Okay, i've added Jim's video. It was Jim's first time with flying poi, so you can see he's a bit over power by them.
Spring is almost here. And we'll be taking lots of videos soon.

[Quote] out of interest, what tricks can only be done with Hyperplanes? cos they look just like poi to me... [/Quote]

The differences between Flying Poi and regular Poi are:
1) Weight. Flyingpoi are very light so you won't get tired of spinning or even arm strain.
2) Speed. Flyingpoi are much faster in terms of RPM's.
3) They're planes. The planes can actually glide off to another direction, sort of float if you want them to.

So, you can do different things with the Hyperplanes, different maneuvers or tricks. They are esencially poi, but on steriods. eek

[Quote]why are the Fire Planes actually LED Planes, not fire at all...? [/Quote]

well they'll light a fire in your heart... actually we are working on some kervlar flying poi, which you could actually set a blaze. I'll keep you posted.

HyperFlyz.com

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FlyingPoiGuy

1) Weight. Flyingpoi are very light so you won't get tired of spinning or even arm strain.
3) They're planes. The planes can actually glide off to another direction, sort of float if you want them to.

So, you can do different things with the Hyperplanes, different maneuvers or tricks. They are esencially poi, but on steriods. eek

Er, but there's not actually any tricks you can do with them that can't be done with normal poi? Aside from a brief imitation of a paper aeroplane? ubblol

More speed isn't always a good thing. Can you spin them slowly and quickly?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Side point - Is that Palolem Beach in Goa?
I recognise the island at the end smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I fail to see how something with wings can change direction/plane on a dime.

Do you know what 'on a dime' means?

As for the weight thing... I get tired of spinning glowsticks. you have to put more effort into getting them to spin, and then you can't control the spin. Control is what we want.

The string/ripcord looks like it would snap easily.

They glide off into another direction.. you mean the wind takes them?

I don't like them. to me, they are another thing that sums up the phrase 'Where's the need?'

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Limits_To_Contest

I don't like them. to me, they are another thing that sums up the phrase 'Where's the need?'

To me they summed up the phrase "Making a quick buck"

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Well after looking at your website, I can't say these would be a product I'd be happy with. The cheesy marketing lingo aside, I really don't want a toy that has the potential to emulate an stunt plane because, I have enough issues controlling the planes using my regular poi as it is. I feel these would only make matters worse. I don't want my poi to "glide off to another direction"

LTC raises a good point on the weight and control issues , likewise Durbs mentions weight and speed of spin. As someone who regularly teaches newbies to these arts I've noticed that excess speed in spinning tends to lead to a lot of problems..heavier and slower is better for learning and if you do want to spin fast, it's hard to beat a pair of glowsticks on strings.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

To me they summed up the phrase "Making a quick buck"

ubblol

'The G-Force Accelerator*, adds a new dimension to Twirling. 0-60 in 1/4 second! Turn quicker, gives you more power when you need it. '

confused

what is a 'g-force accelerator'?

a small note, the planes appear to go backwards when being spun (from the photo video: the other one didn't seem to work), so I don't really see how they would glide or fly anywhere other than straight down.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:

Well the first two don't really make any difference to tricks only number 3 *brief imitation of a paper aeroplane* counts as a different trick really

Also, your FAQ section has a few grammatical mistakes in it

FlyingPoiGuynewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Wow! you guys sure a cynical bunch!

I'll try to answer your comments anyways. Let me first say that I have been spinning Poi for a number or years, and the Hyperplanes have gone through considerable testing. Everyone who has tried them has liked them more than regular Poi, this is a fact. When ever i try someone's old Poi, i laugh, they just aren't the same, it's what your grandmother would spin. Hyperplanes are way more fun!

"Do you know what 'on a dime' means?"

Yes, the plane provides aerodynamics, which accounts for the improved control. Also they high swivel insures turning on a dime. This means 180 turns - fast!

"Can you spin them slowly and quickly?"

Yes of course, this the point, they offer much more control than regular balls on rope.

"The string/ripcord looks like it would snap easily."

The rainbow cord is really cool and will not break, the planes on the other hand are made from foam rubber and will break if you abuse them.

"what is a 'g-force accelerator'?"

trade secret can't say much more right now.

"To me they summed up the phrase "Making a quick buck" "

I will let you know as soon as those quick bucks start flying in....

PS. yes it is Palolem!

HyperFlyz.com

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Ok. I do a lot of Poppin'. It's obvious to me that we have different meanings to 'on a dime'. When I stop on a dime, I stop dead. there's no evidence of coming to a halt, no dissipation of force, I just stop. therefore, to turn on a dime, is to turn without there being anything to influence the turn. (Sorry, yes I can be a geek)

These aerodynamics you speak of, are the exact reason that I believe it does not turn 'on a dime'. plus, the flex in the cord will not allow it. especially a 180 degree turn. As for the swivels allowing it to turn better... surely this would make it turn when you don't want it to, thus giving less control. and if anyone can turn spinning momentum (what do we call that nowadays, i can never remember) from forwards to backwards ON A DIME with anything on a string, I would be extremely surprised.

they sort of float if you want them to... so you can pretend they are a kite as well? I'm sold! umm

We're not so much cynical, we've just seen so many people try to imitate poi and fail, and come up with some cheap, tacky gimmick which is destined to be the new better thing. the thing that would make us never want to pick up poi again. this is how these appear.

your sales techniques are good, but I'm afraid they are useless on us poi 'connoiseurs' (for want of a better word)

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
well, i like the plane idea. i think they look neat. they do need to be very sturdy. if they aren't, we shall complain and tell others about our bad experience. there are many good products out there, it is hard to make a breakthrough as a vendor also because we are a tightknit community. if your product is really good, then it shall be passed along as a viable poi option
i wasn't really impressed with the spinning video, because it just looked like they just went fast and looked sort of out of control. if it was supposed "sell" your planes, i do not know that it accomplished it's goal
(yes we are cynical)
but good luck on you business venture and i hope it all comes together for you

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

rainbowgirlmember
70 posts

Posted:
I think they look nifty, but i am somewhat sceptical that they will be all they are cracked up to be - they do look flimsy and 'nothing special-ish'

I might try and nake some myself, they might not have the 'patented g force accelerator' (whatever that may be) but shaped foam on swivelling string cant be hard!

But good luck with the new thing - all styles of poi were new once, and now they are 'classic'

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars

"To alcohol, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems!"

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Ohhhhhh, we're a harsh bunch eh ubblol

But meh, we've been spinning poi for years most of us (which being more than "1-2 years" means we should've mastered them by now wink ) - and yep, seen various new takes on them.

But really, I'd say you're claim of "there are tricks you can do with hyperplanes which can't be done with poi" is er...wrong. Can you whip catch them? Can you do contact poi? Is there enough weight in them to hyperloop them continuously?

Yes, we're cynics, but you did (well, actually you didn't...) post about a new poi toy on the main poi spinning website where people have played with poi for years.
Think of it as "constructive criticism" wink

P.S. Palolem was cool (apart from the un-advertised rip-tides which claim many lives each year...). Beautiful place to spin as the sun was going down smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

FlyingPoiGuynewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Hi Durbs, I think there is some confusion about what is meant by regular poi. The type i was referring to is the one i see most often: a ball, usually a tennis ball with a tail streamer attached, cord, handles etc. This is a non-fire poi. I think beginners and intermediates spinner may use this one most.
The other type is the fire poi or practice fire poi. That is a heavier type with a small narrow weight at the end, maybe some black rubber around the end, chain, handles etc.
Would you agree that there are some tricks that can not be done with first type? Well the same goes for the FlyingPoi.
The tricks you mentioned can be done to a certain degree, but since they are planes they can easily get tangled up or crash. eek With the narrow poi you can spin closer together. An example is, twirling two poi in one hand going the opposite directions, Flyingpoi can do this, but if you try to flip them over you head too quickly they will get tangled up. This is an advanced trick. But most other tricks are certainly doable.
So, there are some tricks that CAN NOT be done Flyingpoi in comparison to the 2nd type mentioned. Are there trick (or moves) that can only be done with FlyingPoi? I would say yes. FlyingPoi are just different, they have a different visual effect and feel to them. For example you can spin one plane over head around in a circle and the plane would be flying! While regular poi would require more power to keep it in mid air. A regular poi is just dead weight in the air. Hyperplanes have different way to be controled.
The handles have some weight so you can throw the whole Hyperplane in the air and it will keep turning, and then catch it again.
I think Hyperplanes are especially more fun for beginners. The light weight foam makes them safe for kids. They also can fit in you pocket, so travelers like them.
If you a fire poi performer you many not like that you can not do certain tricks the same way, but on the other hand i think you will enjoy something new. Sort of like a snowboard vs. regular skis, same same but different.
I do appreciate all you comments and criticisms etc. After all this is cyberspace and i did just pop in out of no where! hehe
I agree the videos do not really show off the Flyingpoi, some thing to work on, if spring ever arrives here in Toronto that is.

peace!

HyperFlyz.com

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:

Hi Durbs, I think there is some confusion about what is meant by regular poi. The type i was referring to is the one i see most often: a ball, usually a tennis ball with a tail streamer attached, cord, handles etc. This is a non-fire poi. I think beginners and intermediates spinner may use this one most.
The other type is the fire poi or practice fire poi. That is a heavier type with a small narrow weight at the end, maybe some black rubber around the end, chain, handles etc.
Would you agree that there are some tricks that can not be done with first type? Well the same goes for the FlyingPoi.
The tricks you mentioned can be done to a certain degree, but since they are planes they can easily get tangled up or crash. eek With the narrow poi you can spin closer together. An example is, twirling two poi in one hand going the opposite directions, Flyingpoi can do this, but if you try to flip them over you head too quickly they will get tangled up. This is an advanced trick. But most other tricks are certainly doable.
So, there are some tricks that CAN NOT be done Flyingpoi in comparison to the 2nd type mentioned. Are there trick (or moves) that can only be done with FlyingPoi? I would say yes. FlyingPoi are just different, they have a different visual effect and feel to them. For example you can spin one plane over head around in a circle and the plane would be flying! While regular poi would require more power to keep it in mid air. A regular poi is just dead weight in the air. Hyperplanes have different way to be controled.

sorry to be finicky but I was hoping for specific examples. Also I think a lot of people on here use sock poi, which are a very different animal to tailed poi or fire poi. Also I don't think visual effect or feel really qualifies something for not being poi: if you have a look around here, you'll find people poi with anything (and everything) they can get their hands on: so I'm not really sure about calling it 'hyperplanes' as opposed to 'hyperplane poi'

The handles have some weight so you can throw the whole Hyperplane in the air and it will keep turning, and then catch it again.

well that's interesting, there are some people who like counterweighted handles. I think video demonstration is needed though. Any chance you can get video clip 1 working?

I think Hyperplanes are especially more fun for beginners. The light weight foam makes them safe for kids. They also can fit in you pocket, so travelers like them.

sorry to pick you up on something you said earlier, but you did suggest the planes were a little flimsy and would not stand up to abuse (which they would likely be subjected by beginners/kids/ being carted about in someone's pocket). SO my next question would be: how much are the replacement parts? I paid 15 pounds for my first set of tail poi and they have lasted me about 2 and a half years to date. And in that time, I have replaced a split ring, once: cost about 15 pence

and sorry, but I'm still a bit cynical about the 'g-force accelerator' that appears to be a piece of plastic until you can explain it a little

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:

Hmmm - the first are known as "Tail Poi" (as opposed to "regular poi"), and are generally disliked (by most spinners I know) as they can limit what you can do. I would say also the 90% (If not more!) of the spinners I know, use sock/cone poi. For the exact opposite reason - they're easiest to learn with, make most tricks easier, and open up lots of concepts (throws, wibbles etc) that aren't possible with tails.

Written by:

Again, there are lots more types of poi than tail or fire poi...
Just out of interest, how long have you been spinning poi and where have you seen it? Because, being honest, as a UK-based spinner who's also met alot of Aussies spinners and traveller-types in SE Asia, i'd say the majority by far don't use tails smile

Hmmm, this all comes across as rather negative...sorry hug smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:

Ok. I do a lot of Poppin'. It's obvious to me that we have different meanings to 'on a dime'. When I stop on a dime, I stop dead. there's no evidence of coming to a halt, no dissipation of force, I just stop. therefore, to turn on a dime, is to turn without there being anything to influence the turn. (Sorry, yes I can be a geek)

And an incorrect one too tongue
The phrase "to turn on a dime" means to be able to turn in a very small space (relative to the thing turning). E.g a small city car can "turn on a dime" and do a 180 in a road in one go, where as a Ford Mondeo, probably can't wink
"Dime stopping" is something completely different and nothing to do with "turning on a dime"
tongue

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Ah, but dime stopping IS Stopping on a dime... tongue

Hence "It's obvious to me that we have different meanings to 'on a dime'...

tongue

get a job.

hug

Be Water My Friend.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
But he says "turning on a dime", not stopping tongue

Get a job yerself hippy *slap*
And SUFFS wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
FlyingPoiGuy...still wondering about your claim that "There are certain tricks that can only be done with HyperPlanes. And the planes can of course do all the regular poi tricks..." What tricks ?? Spinning a circle above ones head is hardly good enough to back up a claim like that.

You wonder why we're so cynical...maybe it's the fantastical claims that you're making about these things, like the one above or the fact that the "g force accelerator" is something more than a knot with a piece of plastic wrapped around it. Or the statement that 'Jim" was "over power" my the hyperplanes poi...when, if you look through the mtv style editing and sfx...it's obvious that Jim is new to these arts..not the hyperplanes.

Keep in mind..you're among a crowd of people who know "twirling" and toys inside and out.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
oh wow he can do a 3bt weave...really fast.... eek wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
hey durbs that is unfair about the tails...i like my tails better than my socks

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Well I like and applaude a rigorous analysis of new or even old versions of kit - but please people - give this guy abit of a break.
He's obviously worked hard developing this 'advance' in Poi design - whilst we may well be helping with a healthy cynicism (after all it seems mostly UK based observation and/or critique!)
I have yet to read of anyone who has actually spun/swung/g-force accellerated (OK - that is pretty funny!!) these things and lets face it without an actual try out its hard to quantify the good or bad of anything
Well theres my 2 dimes worth (366 degree turn executed)
Peas and fairgo-ness to all

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I honestly don't understand!!..

what's the point, why bother... not even a quick buck in it! ... poor website to market with with failing links, bad graphics, design, code, and market researching on HoP! ubbidea beware of the criticism, were your critics! hug

This was all too obvious to me!.

1: posted thread on a Guru in India in Social... noticed Avatar with a web address, which surly breaks HoP Rules rolleyes

2: link to website from user profile... taken to bad website.

3: back to User profile on HoP, listing users posts..

4: Ended up here where I don't normally look to find market researching and HoP's critics on the case.

oooh i love the obvious. ubbrollsmile

My thoughts!... bad idea... bad, bad, bad... as bad as Kiwido... Kiwido make good firepoi, but they tend to be the single use type because after the first burn is finished they've burnt away ubblol

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
I checked the site via a google check and I wholeheartedly......dont stand by my remarkes!!
They look tacky, flimsy, Chinese (blind child) made pieces of useless rubbish - whats the point?
Having said that - I still wager that no-ones tried them - mainly cuz no-one here would be silly enough to buy one!!
So until hen I wont pass judgement....oh - I think I just did
OOpps - oh well thre you go just my opinion based on a bad photo

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Notice how the link to the section "fireplane" is just instruction on how to attach your crappy photon clones to the string?

But below that it has pictures of people spinning real poi on fire!
If that isn't false advertising I dont know what is!

God help yhe poor bugger who sets these foam pieces of shiz on fire.....flamey melted badness anyone?
Who wants 3rd degree crotch burns then....what , no one?
Odd that......

Page: