flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
ok, i've read before that poi is good exercise, but to be honest i think that's kind of clutching at straws somewhat. That's like saying pub crawls are good exercise right?

When i went on easter holiday 5 weeks ago I decided to start using a set of chains almost 3 times the weight of what i was spinning before. At first I found them pretty hard to control, but having used them for maybe 30 mins everyday I now find them normal, and my old set stupidly light.

Tonight i went bowling for the first time since i went on holiday (i bowl between 3 and 6 games a week during term time) I found myself being able to effortlessly bowl a lot faster with heavier balls than ever before. My average tonight was also 20 points above normal.

Obviously poi isn't as good as working out in the gym, i'm not going to kid myself that i'm being super healthy by doing poi, but has anyone else noticed an increase in upper body strength?

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I started out doing poi alittle over a year ago and since than I've lost muscle mass. Than again a year ago I went to the rec and worked out 3 times a week, something I stopped after school ended last year and never started again these past two semesters, so thats most likely my problem. I do think, however, that doing poi has prevented me from loosing all my previous muscle build up, I mean I havn't reverted back to a twig yet and I've been lazy this whole academic year. So I thank my poi for what biceps and abbs I have left

good news though, in the fall semester I signed up for wieght lifting cause I need one more credit and it worked with my scedule. Kind of curious to see what the crowd will be like for the class, skinny computer nerds, big muscle guys, or both?

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I've noticed that my shoulders are getting larger and if I didn't have a layer of lard over them, the muscles in my back and arms would be much more defined than they used to be.
They're certainly larger too, you just can't tell that from looking at them.

Unfortunately, they all get very stiff very easily, so if I go even a week without spinning something or doing anything to loosen them up, they start getting really uncomfortable.
All the more reason to spin more regularly I suppose

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I am one of those skinny people with hardy any muscle.... in fact I find it harder to keep weight on than loose it.

I have quite heavy practice & fire chains which I have been using since late January. I have noticed a definate increase in upper body muscle.... particularly arms and shoulders.

So much fire, so little body hair...

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Do you stand still when you spin??? I dont! i bounce around like crazy, so I think i'm getting a full body work out when i spin. I find i dance and do moves that utilise alot of my back and stomach muscles. I'll move around alot and bounce and stretch and utilise most of my leg muscles.

its all about the way you move

Currently on the right side up of the world.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I also want to point out in addition to being an upper body strength workout (which was one of the original uses for the male Maori version) it is also a really great aerobic workout. It works the muscles across the front of the chest and really helps the lungs. I figured this out after my accident when my lungs weren't up to capacity and I spun for the first time...yeee-owwww...
Now, after work, it is building back up well. It has helped my strength, my stamina, heavy poi also help balance....realistically it is no Bally's Fitness Center or Trim Spa program, but it is nothing to shrug at either. Especially if you change up the moves often, including heights and directions.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Stand still!!! I normally run round like a man possesed with fire poi, but I do most my practicing inside(which would account for 70% of poi time), which limits how much I can run round.

So much fire, so little body hair...

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Well, I play with a staff too, fairly heavy one, and I have seen tremendous muscle building in the wrists and forearms, hand strangth and shoulders from that. Since I've been playing with my poi I have also seen a lot of bicep build and toughened abs...

I don't normally work out at all, so it took me like two weeks to be able to spin for a long time until my body built the muscle to do it.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning for about a year now, often with pretty heavy equipment. My endurance and ability to spin heavier stuff has improved, but i still look like a load of uncooked spaghetti tied together with elastic

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
I remain pretty convinced that exercise is something that happens to other people.

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

Toreador VampBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
Contray to your own beliefs you do do exercise Sheepy, I have seen it with my own eyes.

You just choose to call it something else

Vamp

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life
-- Terry Pratchett-Jingo

Reality is what refuses to go away when I stop believing in it.

leprechaunmember
9 posts

Posted:
i've been fencing for about 2 years, and that causes a lot of muscle build up on your dominant side. after i started swinging poi about 6 months ago, i've noticed my left arm trying to keep up with my right. (YAY, NOT LOPSIDED!!) i also do a lot of running around and jumping and leaning backwards and crazy stuff while swinging (as well as i can at this level), so i get a REAL workout.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Boo, they've got my name And what exercise?

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Well my first poi that I still have and only have are light... but my arms are stayin toned... helps the pectoral muscles... YEY FIRM BOOBIES! LOL

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Hehehe... has anyone found occasionally you learn a new trick but can only do it with your dominant hand, then found themselves adicted and doing that trick tons and suddenly- voila! an abnormally asymetric body!
Found that when i first started staff spinning, but has improved since the doubles...

Ben

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I've defo noticed a difference in tone. Not really bulk, well maybe a little, can be hard to tell though.

I'm devoping scar tissue on my shins, head and elbows from my beaming poi . I love 'em really.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
That settles it... My next set of poi will be heavier.

Magnus... pay it forward

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Maybe I will put more effort into learning staff using dominatly my left hand because the right side of my body is quite a bit stronger then my left. This is from spending a few months christmas tree shearing (Repeatedly swinging a 3 foot machete up and down all da long) I find poi works both sides equally for the most part. Another thing to consider about poi is it gives a lot of people an adrenaline rush when the spin lit. Any sort of phsical activity when you have adrenaline rushing through you burns more fat.

I can really see poi or club swinging makeing a comeback for excersize (wasn't club swinging developed for excersize because regular aerobics are to damn boreing?)

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
The big wicks and long chains on my fire poi really give the shoulders and arms a good workout. (also the burns last longer!)

Its an interesting compliment to the fencing, though I haven't told my coach about the spinning.

Raph

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I am in complete agreement, spinning for long periods will get you fitter and it is great for improving your strength/dexterity on your weaker side. I do Wing Chun Kung Fu and find the spinning aids my stamina. For example over winter when I don't spin as much my arms ache much more when I'm training compared to spring/summer.

Are we nearly there yet?

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Maybe it's good that I cackhanded (yorkshire term lol) ambidextrous to seriuos ppl... YEY!
Ensures boobies stay even. lol

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You know, I swim so much and my upper body is in such good shape that I can't get a decent workout from poi. Yeah, my heart rate can go up, but it comes back down after less than a minute of stopping.

Besides, poi works your wrists and your upper arms, but it doesn't do much for your pectorals, latissimus dorsii, or trunk muscles.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
mmm, I've found poi has toned my arms a bit, but not as much as devil sticking. It just seems to take more effort...or maybe that's cos I'm not as good at it as poi so I use more energy to keep the damn thing up in the air.

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
long double-staffs do a terrible (or really good depending on how you look at it) job for your arm muscles, I'm sure that much pain and them lying dropping off after a few minutes of spinning is not good! Does get the old muscles going though.

Ben

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Depends wot moves you do... u cud give ur body a full work ou if u span like mad and was amazingly flexible... coordinated etc etc.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
since i started poi i noticed a difference in my arm mucles and upper back mucles.
even if the poi in its self isnt that benifical it makes me feel like geeting up of my but and do ing some thing wich is better than nothing.
also if you dance around alot when you spin to the poing that when you stop you are a little out of breth that meens that you must have been to ing some cardio vascular exercise wich is all ways good

missie

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />