Stressed Ericmember
15 posts

Posted:
lo all this is my first post so plese be easy with mei first picked up a pair of poi about 7 hrs ago(brother in law just come back fron australia)ive just finished making some training poi from tennis balls and stringwell my questionpoi has cicular movemts and so does thai chi so would i be correct in beliving that this could raise you level of fitness as well as upper body suppleness ?

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Yup!

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hi there Eric,Welcome to our world of fire smile Well I don't know about raising your Level of fitness, But I get worked durring a show! I can hardly talk let alone hold a conversation right after. It is a mental work out as well.You can work your Thai Chi in your tecnique. we all have diffrent ways and forms. Its also a Big Stress Relief, spinning and not thinking about any thing. This may be good for you "Stressed Eric" Good Luck! Ski

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
You know that's an interesting connection. I've studied a little tai chi (very little) and have tried to work it into my fire performance. Now that you bring it up, if I look at something like an altering sweep (front hip circle to an back shoulder circle) that feels a lot like "wave hands like clouds". Poi and fire work is definitely something I've focused on as a chi-raising exercise. Like when performing with fire fingers, I focus on raising the chi through my chakras, up my spine, as I raise the fire in front of my body. I'm sure there are deeper connections there that you're tapping into. Please let me know what you find. Thanks,Diana

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
And even from a simple regular fitness thing, I know that if I do poi full speed for a while that my heart starts going. I would guess that it has some aerobic benefits if you keep up a certain pace for a certain amount of time.Besides that, it does seem to work a lot of arm, wrist, upper back, etc. type muscles. And makes you more flexible...

Stressed Ericmember
15 posts

Posted:
thanx for the relpies( and so promply as well)i dont actually do thai chi but my auntie karen does and it has made a significant difference to her lifei dont get as much exercise as i used too and that is why i asked the question.i must say that this here poi is a lot easyer than i first thought as i can do a weave allready( still struggling with the butterfly thou ?) i have noticed that the main thing to remember while learning is to protect you bits as it not only catches your breath but also ruins the mood for a while ;-(but with the help of a trusty hand towel i have found a way to keep my concerntration thnx again karma to all of you

FiReSpRiTemember
23 posts

Posted:
since ive started poi ive noticed a pretty big improvment in my posture. i dont slouch as much now. just thought id share grin------------------What we call human nature, is actually human habit.

Its hard not to play when theres so many toys.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
I do tai chi, and I think its pretty helpful and in fact some of the hand movements for silk reeling that we do i can only get if i translate them to poi (oh hey thats just a big reverse butterfly...) Its helpful for flexibility in turning your hips so you can do 180 degree turns from one spot and other hippy things grin although I have found that if i try to do a turn from a deep stance i hit my leg when coming around to the side because my knee is in the way. the speed is the thing, its hard to do poi at the same speed as people do tai chi (slowwwwly) unless they're either really long or heavy or you use something like clubs. anybody ever try that?Pere