Forums > Social Discussion > Tweens: Sexy, Sassy and Still in Primary School

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
The Tweenager

The word "Teenager" was coined in the 1920s and it seems the Noughties (= 00s for those who didn't know) is coining the "Tweenager"

Honestly, it makes me want to cry and to never bring kids into such a world. I see Bratz birthday cakes in my job all the time, and as Pineapple Pete will tell you, they make me want to scream. I see little girls in knee high boots and mini-skirts asking me to put "My Humps" or "anything by the PussyCat Dolls" on and it just makes me so sad. My own mother was worried when I started listening to the Spice Girls who sang about Girlpower and friendship. And I was 11. These girls are 6 and listening to song lyrics that say "loosen up my buttons, baby"

Any parents out there like to comment? Any younger ones like me who are worried about the world they will bring children in to?

EDITED_BY: Rouge Dragon (1166795427)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
-NOTE- my sig faithinfire wink

it is a dig at the hip hop scene for glorifying gun culteure and matteriaism that is infecting the youth of today.

i've always had a thing against "pop" music, from thow much record companys rake in while the artist only gets a fraction but in the case of all these manufactured groups it's their own bloody fault for being money grabbing gits.

all these storys we hear about clubbers being stabbed up or shot stems from hip hop events (not saying it's 100% to blame)

ok so i break the law going to illegal raves but there is rarely ANY trouble and if there is it is delt with.

in the UK town centers and city centers are a nightmare at night, i've been into the city early in the mornings and aside from the usual pavement pizza and spilt kebabs the ammount of blood all over the place is shocking.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
thanks
my point really was= that the family needs to be vigilant...of course some stuff is going to slip through the cracks but we have to communicate
i know that it is hard with many parents workin...i think that is where the whole it takes a village thing is relevant in today's world

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

Written by: jo_rhymes

I'm glad my brothers don't listen to hard house, but for no reason other than that music is sh!t.

ubblol hahahaha 100% with you on that statement jo ubblol

Hey some of us like hardhouse now if ya want knock trance I won't have a problem with that.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

7,193 posts

Posted:
don't get me wrong acidchild i did used to like hardhouse and still have some cd's kicking around the place ( did you know they make exelent cofee coasters and look wicked) ubblol

i could knock trance but i'm more into acid trance or psy trance, acid techno, drum and bass, dub, hard style, clown core, jungle you know the types of music that gives you internal injurys from the bas ubblol

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
I'm a happycore kid for the most part but I like the hardhouse, and some club. What's clown core I don't think I've heard of that (I know I'm a stupid candykid).

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

7,193 posts

Posted:
THIS is clowncore

and the man behind it all ed cox wink

it's known as the hard-cordian ubblol

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I see, I think you're talking more about gangsta rap than hip hop. There are some really positive hiphop groups out there. I particularly reccommend Ugly Duckling. They are fun, don't swear, and are just fun guys! smile

Faith, your brother sounds like a clever kid already! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

3,556 posts

Posted:
he takes after his sister...
we are book smart and street stupid aka gullible as all get out

it's an odd family
my parents overachievers with high iqs and we are chronic underachievers with high iqs
and a dog that thinks he is a cat

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Spanner

. I can understand the issue for very young girls who don't yet understand the idea of modesty! but when they're wearing trousers, it's surely no-one else's business what they wear underneath.

The problem is that what they wear underneath is *not* being kept to themselves, otherwise we wouldn't know about it! It's that "lovely" effect of the crotch grazing trousers and the hot pink diamante thong clad backside bared to the world that generally offends me!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i had knickers with days of the week on! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
https://www.soonews.ca/viewarticle.php?id=10059
a news article that considers this subject, quite well written...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
This article is also really interesting, linking with the obsession with self esteem, and the ways in which we are making our kids less considerate and caring by empowering them without giving them boundaries.

It's published in 1998, but apart from the pop culture references, is still pretty relevant. Scary stuff.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ah ha! 1998! i was getting confused reading that! ubblol
and i'll admit, its damn long and i skimmed a lot!

my answer to 1998, the era of the teenie bopper, is that the singers in that era mostly sang about friendship and love. The Spice Girls, for example, sang about friendships coming before boys. And there were also 5 of them with different personality traits, showing it was ok to be different because we could all be friends...i was a teenie bopper, and that's what the spice girls effectively taught me. i wasn't alive for germaine greer's hey day. the spice girls is my generation's way of learning independence.
i honestly don't get what the article is saying about the spice girls and i think a lot is being taken out of context. and what's wrong with "girl power" anyway? shrug

but then again, i read that article and i can't relate to any of it. although if i put my best friend at the time into it, it's alarmingly accurate in places.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I have another theory:

I was having a think in the shower before (not surprisingy, I have a lot of body-image thinks in the shower) and this is another blame the parents one.

I was remembering last year how my aunt make herself very clear to me her opinion on my un-shaped eyebrows, and I could hear the pride in her voice when she told me that her two year old was starting to show interesting in things like that and didn’t think it would be long until she said “mummy, can you teach me to pluck my eyebrows too?” Just is case you missed it the first time; my cousin was two. And later in that week, my aunt and her friend were watching one of those horrible plastic surgery shows and vocally commenting on how the plastic surgery made them look so much better.

And I go to thinking; every year there are new trash-mags on the market (trash-mags = those magazines full of celebrities) and these tv shows about “beauty.” The women (yes, they are marketed primarily at women) who buy these, read about how they are NOT the epitomy of beauty and there really isn’t anything they can do about it post-baby belly. So what do they do? Start their daughters young. Start priming them now so that THEY can become the “epitomy of beauty” and look as “gorgeous” as those abominations in trash-mags. And thus, we are bombarded with 10 year olds going on 20 year olds (20 year olds? These girls dress more provocative than me and I’M 20!!) that their mothers create so that they can live vicariously through them. Or perhaps so they can be proud and show them off to other trash-mag mums? Maybe the mothers *do* have the girls’ best wishes at heart though and simply want the girls to grow up like they are “fitting in” with that image of beauty and will never have to go through what their poor mothers went through by not being the size of Nicole “eating disorder” Richie?

And thus was my shower-think.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
In regards to the Hip Hop thing. Ya know...ALL genres of music have their good and bad, their objectifying and not, their skanks and not. I just went through this with my son last night. He had Christmas money and wanted to buy a cd. He was debating between Eminem and Jibbs. While Jibbs annoys me to no end, he was the better choice. He "sings" (I use the term loosely) about "bling" and hanging with friends, whereas Eminen...well, we all know about that.
While I am not fond of either, I chose what I feel as a parent is the lesser evil. This way my son still exerts his independence and experiments with his own personal style and taste while remaining within my guidelines.

And we have a rule here. If you want to dress like a punk, a thug, whatever...go ahead...but there are guidelines (like keeping the pants pulled up and the boxers covered up). However, he can not ACT like one. The moment he acts like one...it's over and it's time to say good-bye to the funky hair and clothes.

We've shaved his head under this rule twice in his life now and found that it does make a huge difference when that rule is worked on. It's a very clear cut, concise rule here too that he is reminded of often.

Though, I do thank goodness I have a boy. If I had a girl who wanted to dress like Britney or PCD, or act like a hip-hip hootchie, a rock groupie, or a hayseed [censored]....well, there would be chains and a reckoning involved methinks.

Rougie, my sister used to tell my neice when she was just an ankle biter that she was getting fat. And I mean, my niece was 4. She had some baby fat on her but no rolls, nothing. She was shaped like a 4 year old should be. It was horrible. Through the diligence of my mother (who is very close to my niece) she stopped this behaviour before it got too bad but it was unreal to hear, and to have to yell at my sister for. It was completely my sister's fear of being fat herself superimposed onto my niece. Sickening.

On the other hand, my son is stick thin. He has a high metabolism and is a runner. He will eat all day and not gain a pound. My sisters both insist he is unhealthy and keep telling him that they will fatten him up.
Both my son and I take offense to this. I do because it makes me sound as if I am a bad mother and my son because he knows he is healthy. He feels my sisters are pressuring him to eat just so he can be "fat" and it offends him.

It's an extreme double standard that either way is unhealthy.

I also agree with you on the Spice Girls. I never thought they were so bad, not like many today.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
rouge, the spice girls sang about having sex and about "when 2 become 1"! ubblol

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
jo, they did, for sure. twas a song about safe sex and about sex in love wink

3,556 posts

Posted:
pele: true
actually, me and brother had a talk about eminem-one of a very few rappers that i listen to, besides, he is so hot in a midwest trash way wink
i was accused of being anorexic regularily, so i took to wearing baggy clothes and escaping from gym...
i think the spice girls were on the cusp of being too sexy and sassy...it seemed they leaned on the glamour aspect more...i never really liked them-haha i used to think what they wore was too revealing and now i see what the singers where...

Faith

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
rouge! really? haha!

the spice girls were sexy, but they were about having fun smile

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
yeah, the line "get it on" is supposed to mean "put a condom on" ubblol

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
oh right! I thought it meant "let's get it on!" as in the barry white sense of the phrase!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
*giggles all crazy*

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

i had knickers with days of the week on! biggrin

I always wanted them! I generally had white vests and pants, often with pink bows or bunnies on them.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Kids have sexual thoughts quite early on (often quite muddled and unclear). The difference is giving them a safe space and time to explore those thoughts without feeling pressured to act on them and without feeling that they are dirty.

I reckon I was sexually curious and hormonal when I was about seven. I can also remember having crushes on boys prior to that age, although my fantasies were normally about using my intelligence and brilliance to save them, and ride off into the sunset with them (yep, I was never your classic princess girly ubblol ). I knew instinctively not to share this stuff with my parents, or at least I have no clear memory of doing so and being told off.

I was never allowed to dress provocatively. My interest in clothes was more about fashion and labels, and my parents said no to that as well as it was expensive!! When I started buying clothes for myself, I usually went for more classy grown up than sexy grown up, although I would have died for a long silk black dress with a side split (this would have been in my early to mid teens).

There are two scary aspects to what is happening. Firstly the thoughts and ideas of sex that are being explored are supplied to the child rather than created by them. Every person is different in what they find pleasurable, and these kids are being left little space to find what is normal for them (my favourite eek quote on this subject came from a study done into female misogyny which quoted a girl who had appeared in one of those "Girls Gone Wild" shows as saying "I'm just disappointed that I didn't do it right, I didn't come". eek Did she think that maybe it was cos she didn't enjoy it in that way?)

Secondly there is a massive amount of pressure to act on thoughts and feelings. The fashions imply a sexual availability that the kids just aren't really ready for. Also there is a "everyone should be doing it" attitude.

I am sure many of us would agree that we thought about sex long before doing it, and despite the level of frustration that built wink there was a benefit in that we were a lot more sure, and it meant a lot more.

I know this has been a long rant, but as an additional side note, have you noticed that the toys that come with McDonalds Happy Meals are no longer unisex? These days you can get boys and girls Happy Meals, usually with the boys toy being some kind of car, and the girls being a little doll or some crappy pink plastic jewellry. So glad to see girls being groomed for the serious business of looking good. rolleyes

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

3,556 posts

Posted:
people didn't believe i could do some of the roofing and stuff, little old me, i outworked them all
we need to raise more tomboys

Faith

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Whee! Bring on the tomboys!!! I was being all handy and making stuff out of random wood in Japan and my host family were like "wtf? a girl with a saw???" ubblol

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Rouge - good on you.
Me, I'm the only female in my class at tech - doing car mechanics biggrin

Are you up for it?
wink;)

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I was the only female in my class twice in higschool. One was a programming/robotics one and the other was an electronics one...and guess who was out there getting better marks than the boys! ubblol

3,556 posts

Posted:
i did better than most of the guys in rotc

Faith

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

And we have a rule here. If you want to dress like a punk, a thug, whatever...go ahead...but there are guidelines (like keeping the pants pulled up and the boxers covered up).

I don't really see the problem with boys who show their boxers, it's not like they're wearing offensive t-shirts with the slogan "jesus is a c**t" (i've seen kids wear those!)

My brother used to wear really baggy jeans (when he was a skater boy!) and his boxers were always on display. But he's the nicest guy ever.

I don't think clothes make *that* much of a difference to how a kid acts, or music for that matter. I think if a kid has a sense of self worth and self respect and respect for others then he/she should be allowed the responsibility to dress how they like (within reason) and listen to whichever artists they prefer.

Then again I'm not a parent so it's easy for me to sit back and give my thoughts!

Page: