Forums > Social Chat > little rant about christmas shopping

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I'm a jolly kinda girl and I love Chrimbo, getting pressies, wrapping them up nicely. I like baking mince pies and making loads of nice Christmassy food biggrin

What I HATE about Christmas is shopping in town for presents. There's LOADS of people, all in their own world, some of them with double pushchairs! ARGH!

It's not just the hideous crowds, it's the shops.

Christmas started in Newbury in late August! Before Halloween! it's stupid. Then there's the Christmas music from every shop. And the heat of the shops is unbearable.
It's freezing outside, so you layer on the clothes, you get in the shop and it's so hot you feel sick. Ugh.

Thank god for Amazon!!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
And Adblock, so we don't have to see any Xmas banners.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
thank god for the internet bounce

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I went into Hastings Town Center today...
Absoloutly manic!
All I wanted was a bloody pair of bloody jeans and a new coat!

Santas grotto angers me most. A que that goes for miles full of screaming little children running around their parents, taking half the space in the shopping center.

And then, to anger me even more, a group of 'organised' children placed at the back of the grotto, in front of a microphone literally screaming carols into it, which is being pumped around the center.

Aaaarrrrgh! mad

Somebody wake me up after christmas has been and gone please.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
naaaarrrrrch (norwich) city center in manic, total bedlam.....i don't like shopping at the best of times (typical male) at crimbo time people just seem to be more moronic than normal

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

some of them with double pushchairs! ARGH!

.. confused You were in one of those once if i'm not mistaken... so hug let other children enjoy xmas shopping whilst their young and enjoying it... after all xmas is all about kids and having fun..

hug

This will be my first xmas as a dad.. i hate xmas time but im sure gonna make sure my son has a good one...

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
And NYC is bad too I tried to do some sightseeing/shpopping today ... lets just say it wasn't the best plan I just ended up getting well annoyed.. . . I should of just stayed on the tour bus and gone round and round . . .

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
PK, i dont have anything against kids! hug I ubblove kids, it's their inconsiderate parents that annoy me! Two kids in a double pushchair, whilst their mum is staring at some gift, oblivious to all the other customers! Grrr!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Try being in Japan where the decorations are up, the music plays (but it slightly wrong cos it's in Japanese) but Christmas day itself is just another day at the office and you have an exam the next day.

sorry. i dont think im going to get over my horrible chirstmas this year.

will gladly swap for christmas shopping horrors!!!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
hug for rougie

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
When trying to get into Birmingham to liaise with HoPpers last weekend, I couldn't even get ON the train I had a reservation for, because it was packed with chavettes discussing which shade of fake tan spray to buy for their relatives. Grrrrrrrrrr!!

Apart from that, the crowds of Christmas shoppers we were singing Christmas songs for today gave us hundreds of pounds for the blind school, so there's something nice about it, too biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

crowley2BRONZE Member
official hop cutie
272 posts

Posted:
christmas shopping is fun cos theres so many shiney things to look at

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry pratchett

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
come to China, christmas isn't on here! frown

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Lazy Angel, hug we can both have non-christmas christmases in Asia smile

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Cheers! smile hug actually my school is going to hold a sort-of Christmas party, they want me to spin poi for them. And I'm doing lessons on Xmas next week! Going to miss hugging friends and family the most I reckon! Where are you at in Asia?

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'm in Japan studying smile

I take it you're teaching english?

And I just did a performance at a christmas-type party this afternoon! ubbrollsmile

My mother sent me a little paper chrissy tree and some tinsel so i could put them up in my room here and feel "more at home" *melts cos my mother thinks of EVERYTHING*

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Nice one! I guess poi goes down pretty well over there: Is it as cold as China: we might have snow soon.

nice one on the decorations: the other teacher here shared some decorations she got sent with me, so I need to put them up in my flat..

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the poi went down pretty well - although not as well as a 3-ball cascade! ubblol

Yeah, it could freeze the balls off a brass monkey here. snow on the mountains already and snow on the flat due any time now.

Today's forecast was -2 to 7! And back home right now they're sweltering in 40deg and fighting some of the worst bushfires in history! eek what a contrast!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Yeah and then some! I just wish someone had heard of central heating in China: I only have a/c in my flat so it's pretty damn cold! (especially after prolonged internet sessions, as the AC is only in my bedroom not my study!)

Considering purchasing a thing that you plug into the wall and put your feet into to keep them warm: like static electrified warm slippers!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
spank for Rougie and Guy! this thread is ranting about trying to Christmas shop in town, not the dilemmas of living in Asia! spank

ubblol hug

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
What gets me is that everyone knows Christmas will be coming up somewhat regularly, but leaves the shopping until the last 4 weekends, and then wonders about the crowds ubblol

Maybe initiating an "alternative Christmas" some time in September would be a good idea.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Birgit, I think you're right.
If i was organised, I'd sort Chrimbo shopping out in advance.
But I'm not organised, and I don't like crowds, so I'm going to moan about it ubblol

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
On Chrimmas in Asia:
*jealousy* I'll trade, I'll trade, pick me!!!!

On the subject of mall Santas:
I wish I had a picture of the Santa in Cumberland Mall that was nestled between JCPenny's frilly and "gift" underwear section and a Frederick's of Hollywood.

On the subject of Chrimmas shopping:
Nothing gets me worse than what happened yesterday. See, I'll put up with the crowds, the obnoxious children running around begging for practically everything on the shelves, parents bickering- but what I absolutely can't stand happened again yesterday. Todlers and babies crying and shrieking their little heads off until they're blue in the face, but the parents keep on dragging them through the shops.

*sigh* I just wanted to turn and shout at them to take their child home and let them have the nap they seem to so desperately need.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
hug

I don't like crowds either, but I'm better now than I used to be. I know the signs of "right, I need to get out of this shopping centre in the next 10 minutes or I'll feel the urge to either run away or scream or hit somebody" smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

I'm a jolly kinda girl and I love Chrimbo, getting pressies, wrapping them up nicely. I like baking mince pies and making loads of nice Christmassy food biggrin

What I HATE about Christmas is shopping in town for presents. There's LOADS of people, all in their own world, some of them with double pushchairs! ARGH!

It's not just the hideous crowds, it's the shops.

Christmas started in Newbury in late August! Before Halloween! it's stupid. Then there's the Christmas music from every shop. And the heat of the shops is unbearable.
It's freezing outside, so you layer on the clothes, you get in the shop and it's so hot you feel sick. Ugh.

clap welcome to my world jo ubblol

i absolutley do not like crimbo shopping!
i do not enjoy my shins acting as bumpers for silly women with prams, nor do i enjoy the morons that walk infront of me then come to a dead stop simply to oggle stuff in a shop. i do notlike the spoilt childeren these paretnts insist on dragging around with them.

just call me the GRINCH tongue

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

What gets me is that everyone knows Christmas will be coming up somewhat regularly, but leaves the shopping until the last 4 weekends, and then wonders about the crowds ubblol

*sigh*

I haven`t started christmas shopping yet... frown got to get it ALL done next weekend... eek

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I'm a last minute shopper too. Here in Belgium shops are normally closed on Sundays but now, they're open for three weeks and on Sundays, the buses run for free!

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
ha i go shopping on the 23

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
YAY! happy I`m not the only one... but I gotta shop for 4 kids, 6 (B), 10 (B), 12 (B) and 14 (G)... it is going to be a **LONG** day...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
The holidays just depress me...seems you can never do enough... noone is ever satisfied...I'd rather just skip it!!! frown

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
sounds like you need an aussie christmas miss bek. everyones to hot and drunk to be dissatisfied... as long as there's cold drinks and a swimming pool or sprinkler system you're set.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Page: