Forums > Social Chat > Question about Poi....somewhat....

Login/Join to Participate

Chestermember
9 posts

Posted:
If you twirl poi are what are you? A poi-er? A twirler? Or some other agreed upon name that a newbie like me wouldn't know.I just wondered this because I saw another post refer to spinning poi as poi-ing. Which makes sense but that doesn't seem to be right. Also wondering because if someone ask you what you're doing do you say twirling? If so how do you tell them it's poi, not twirl.....Okay, I'm rambling and I probably don't make any sense. Oh well, reply if ya like.-Chester------------------Poi - The addictiveness is overwhelming

Poi - The addictiveness is overwhelming

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Personnally, i don't really like the terms "twirl" or "swing". I usually say that I "spin poi". I guess that makes me a "spinner".... which i don't like that much either. Dammit! I guess when i get really good with fire, i'll be able to say that i'm a "fire dancer".I say "poi" should be a verb. "I poied all weekend", "I wouldn't mind poing tonight", etc. And we'd all be "poiers". smilenomad

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Well be care full of using the word swinging cause last time someone put that on this site some old dude thought we were refering to something quite different grinpeace outgarbo tongue
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi

be excellent to each other: safe:

EyeStormmember
54 posts

Posted:
Any and all of these work fine.[rant]One thing though: all of my hobbies (Poi is somewhat of a hobby at the moment for me) defy easy explanation. Miniature wargaming, Poi, etc., the only relatively common things I like doing is watercolour painting and talking on discussion boards. (I'm a mod at two Warhammer 40K boards smile) It kind of stinks when people ask you "are those nunchuks?" when you break out the homemade Poi. tongue Or when you go into a half-hour description of what it is exactly you do with that carrying case full of a miniature army.Hmmph. I guess that makes me a gaming geek. tongue[/rant]

((m/)) --==EyeStorm==--

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Hehe grin. Poor chap must have been soooo disappointed that we just play with bean-bags, string and thee odd bit of Kevlar and chain.For what it's worth, I like the "poing" word- it's not likely to get confused with anything else and sounds good (as in "...said Zebedee" smile hehe). smile Noods smile

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i use to call it "throwing" or "strings"...i dont know why. but when i referred to it as throwing or strings, people didnt understand what i was talking about.i love "fire dancing" but alas, i do not use fire (yet.we can refer to it as the greatest thing since sliced bread...but thats a little long.------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I have an allergic reaction to being called a "twirler". wink I don't really consider myself a "spinner" either. "Poi-er" has never been part of my consciousness. I learned to spin, to spin fire. I started with torches and went to body transfers and eating before taking up poi seriously. I suppose I'd be a fire dancer, if I was more of a dancer. Because I've been a performer for a long time outside of fire play and I perform with fire torches, fire eating and transfers as well, I consider myself a fire performer. Diana

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
How about being a swinger Diana? smile

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
I suppose it depends on what you do...cause some of us spin poi or staff or juggle, so I think that any of those names would fit.

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
While i don't really label myself, the two terms that most generally get applied to me are "fire twirler" and "raver." Personally, my fire and glowstick styles feel quite different, so when talking to someone about spinning i'll use the term i feel most directly applies to the conversation.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I just refer to myself as a circus freak. smileLiterally, it's what I told my neighbor when he asked. Then I said I am a performer.When they ask what I am doing I say poi. Spinning I think of club/torch type things or my jacob's ladder, twirling I think of staff and the other "sticks". I jump my fire jump chain. And swinging...other than when I push my son on the swing set...we all know what goes through my little gutter mind grin. I will say I think I twirl my flags...which is why they get wrapped up. It,like everything else on this site, seems to be subjective and completely idividual.BTW, you are not the only gaming geek here Eyestorm, though my form comes in table top and I used to LARP. I never got into miniatures when my friends did though, or the cards ones.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK