Forums > Help! > movie help for beginners

Login/Join to Participate

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Okay... 2 things I'd like to do with movies (made or to be made with my digicam, so nothing fancy...):

1. Is there a way to show movies in portrait format and not landscape? Like, say, you make one of someone spinning and want it higher than wide? Or is that just not done?

2. Can anyone recommend free software to take pictures from a movie, i.e. stop the movie and save it as a pic, or is it easier to just make a screenshot?

bounce

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
1. Turn the camera 90degrees to whichever side you want, you chose! wink

2. Screenshots will be fine, easy as smile

I thik its generally best ot have a bit of a google when dealing with video editing. Most questions are out there, you just need to find them. ubbrollsmile

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
1. tongue tried that... the video is fine but all the players I have play it in landscape format, which means I'll have to turn the laptop or find a new player tongue

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I originally had a flick through these Google results but then found this one

What program are you using to edit your vidyo?

ubbrollsmile

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I hadn't started using any programmes yet, wanted to ask you guys first. Some internet forums can be a bit scary when you search for help. The few times I've tried the slightly techier ones for computer problems most people were unable to reply in a way I could understand wink

(G.W. Dahlquist)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
OK then, in whcih case I would recommend Windows Movie Maker2 as it is free, really easy to use and your computer should already have it. If it doesnt, then its a free download.
Its what I have made all my (simian and me) videos on, and they came out rather well, even if I say so myself smile

It cant do as much as other programs like the Adobe ones, but its good until you get a feel of making movies.

ubbrollsmile

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
thanks hug

Don't want to make anything big and professional anyways, just to see Ronan and Meenik spinning without getting a stiff neck ubblol

(G.W. Dahlquist)