Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > friggin straightjacket is driving me insane

Login/Join to Participate

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
i need some serious help on getting into the straight jacket while keeping it going and pulling it out.............i've only got 9 days to get it down

here's what i'm working with.........forward 3 beat on left side in front to back planes, keeping right hand tucked after 3rd beat, crossing left over body.........

my issue is trying to find the right traditional move to get my left tucked under my right and up into my pit without losing momentum so i can keep it going.....iso's just aren't cutting it...........any advise??????

"our love withers here and dies
the story had to end in blood"

"You will not feel pain near the end, my dear
Your memory shall remain with me
As I weep upon your grave
My love...

My love..."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Hi there! wave

This thread should really be in the poi moves forum ubbrollsmile
I have notified a moderaor, so they will move it when they are round here next.

Also "i've only got 9 days to get it down" - Is the world ending and someone neglected to tell me? How come you only have 9 days?

And lastly, when you say straightjacket, do you mean when your arms are actually crossed and folded or simply when they are on opposite sides of your body (not crossed or folded?)

ubbrollsmile

If you mean when arms are crossed, you will need to do an inversion. There a thread int he poi moves forum on these.
If you mean just simple crossed arm reels, to be honest, you can go in to these from pretty much any wallplane (poi going sideways, as opposed to forwards and backwards) move you can think of....

confused

I hope this helps and welcome to HOP! smile

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace

Hi there!

This thread should really be in the poi moves forum
I have notified a moderaor, so they will move it when they are round here next.

thanks i think....but it is important so i would prefer it go every where it can

Also "i've only got 9 days to get it down" - Is the world ending and someone neglected to tell me? How come you only have 9 days?

actually......biggest halloween party in vegas, next to the fetish and fantasy ball

And lastly, when you say straightjacket, do you mean when your arms are actually crossed and folded or simply when they are on opposite sides of your body (not crossed or folded?)

ubbrollsmile

If you mean when arms are crossed, you will need to do an inversion. There a thread int he poi moves forum on these.
If you mean just simple crossed arm reels, to be honest, you can go in to these from pretty much any wallplane (poi going sideways, as opposed to forwards and backwards) move you can think of....

crossed and folded and tucked like i'm actually trussed up...........i can do crossers

confused

I hope this helps and welcome to HOP!

thank you for your input and it would be more appropriate to say welcome back, so again thank you...for the record this is casper from col's 3 & 4

My love...

My love..."

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
dude, 9 days to get straightjackets to performance level?

thats kinda ambitious.

anyhoo, joncof's right: an inversion (or crossed arm buzzsaw) is what you need.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I dont remember all the performers from each COL wink

Sorry! redface

But besides, welcome to HOP anyway! hug2

p.s It may be important, but it doesnt mean you can just post it anywhere willy-nilly smile

Most people look at all the forums anyway ubbrollsmile

Good luck with it anyway! weavesmiley

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
and even then, good luck!

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

dude, 9 days to get straightjackets to performance level?

thats kinda ambitious.

anyhoo, joncof's right: an inversion (or crossed arm buzzsaw) is what you need.

thank you guys.........it just feels weird to be posting again after so long a hiatus and such........this move is friggin me out though....keep seeing all these kids grabing their sticks and throwing them through their arms as the transition.....looks like cheese ya know, sides imma be spinnin soft glows and possibly monkey fists at this party.

as for the whole performance level thing sim, i've been at this for about 5 years now, i think i can pull it off once i figure out how to get into it.......still it's a challenge issued by one that i brought into this lovely world of chaos and modern debauchery known as poi and glowstringing.

My love...

My love..."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
straightjackets at performance level?

to me:
performance level = looks beautiful

rob and rev are pretty close but i've honestly never seen straightjackets that look good enough to put into a routine...

jon and simian are right though - do an inversion, stop halfway through and turn into reels.

requires lots of well controlled isolation to get into it neatly and some tight body movement to keep the poi spinning after you've wrapped your arms up.

bonus tip: lots easier with very light poi

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

bonus tip: lots easier with very light poi

aaaahhhhhhhh!

T wave

-><- Kallisti

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: breaker

as for the whole performance level thing sim, i've been at this for about 5 years now, i think i can pull it off once i figure out how to get into it.......

that wasn't meant to be casting aspersions on your undoubtedly mad skillz dude wink
more saying that straightjackets is mental, and like cole i'm yet to see them done smoothly and attractively.

i suggest you learn longarm reels crossed at the wrist (spin and antispin) instead
cos they're much much easier, and have been known to rock the party... smile

alternatively, if you'd like an even harder method of entering straightjackets, then try this:
in split time same direction wallplane reels >
as the forwards poi is rising up upwards and the backward poi is coming downwards >
take them inside your arms with your wrists crossing (kind of a stalling movement is required so both heads pass each other in the centre of your body, right inbetwixt your nipples) >
and lo! you are in straightjacket position!

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
didn't take it that way sim...not in the slightest...just a lil bit of the leo in me getting out...my apologies.....i'm fully gonna have to catch up on lingo when i get the time but that sounds like some crazy spinnin....for sure gonna have to try it soon
thanks for lookin out guys

i will admit there is still alot i have to learn, but i'm pretty stubborn when it comes to learnin something new and fun

My love...

My love..."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I struggled with these for ages - then decided they're the 4th ugliest poi move I've ever seen, so decided not to bother.

This is of no use to this thread whatsoever ubbangel

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
it was a challenge issued to me by a kid that i started teaching about 2 years ago.........i told him how to get into one without stalling to do it and he's been trying to get me to do it ever since.........i pulled it outta my ass in front of his room mate and she was like wow, holy [censored], WOW....now he wants to see me pull it smooth

wish i could see what it is you guys are trying tell me to do n [censored]...like i said, need to brush up on lingo and still have a bit to learn

My love...

My love..."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
durbs: Where does the ugly weave rate on that list?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
1) 9bt weave
2) 7bt weave
3) Ugly weave
4) Straight jackets wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yo, durbin. there are MUCH more ugly moves than a nicely tuned straightjacket...

here's my 2c on how to do it nice and smood.

facing fowrads, spinning cross armed to your left, with right hand on top.
(not spinning a weave, or anything, that comes when you got the move down, just holding the poi and spinning them)

right hand poi inverts through the gap under left arm, and right elbow clamps down on left hand, forcing it into the armpit...

now in straightjacket position. so as not to hit youself you now have to move! the easiest way i can decribe it is to say you roll your right shoulder back, then your left shoulder back... and you get 1 beat either side.

then you get back to start position, and you can
a) do it again (ugly, imo)
b) do it differently, like with a pirouette
c) come out of it by releasing the armpit clasp, and pulling the left poi out of the gap its in (ex-vert)

any use? possibly not...

hmmm. video soon, i guess, *sigh*

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah, there are more ugly moves - I shall re-shuffle my list and put them in again at around 16...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
what about an ugly weave 5 bt?

I can think of a lot of things uglier than a nice 7bt weave.

probably an under the leg 5 bt waist wrap.

or perhaps a btb, utl, 5bt weave.

hmmmmm. ubbloco

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hey rob, that really makes sence. nice

i might have to learn it....

T wave

-><- Kallisti

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
was already concerned you were takling about str8Jakit... phew

Good luck with picking up the move

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Ugly weave? Straight jacket? Does anyone have any videos of the moves, haven't heard or seen them in my life.. shrug

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"