Forums > Social Chat > Emotional intelligence research - (for UK people and over 18's)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Carrot_GirlClose your eyes and make a wish
194 posts

Posted:
Hiya

do any of you fancy taking part in my friends PhD research? She's looking at Emotional Intelligence. the Study is on-line, and is restricted to those age 18+, born in the UK and native English speakers (the latter 2 are put in place because one of the questionnaires has only been tested on western samples and because emotions vary significantly by culture).

If you're interested, go to....

www.e-intell.co.uk

Thank you on her behalf! hug (and let me know what you think!) wink

Life is a journey ... not a guided tour.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*grumbles something about "pommies" and kicks gravel just to proove that German emotions are just the same* frown wink
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1161015974)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

*grumbles something about "pommies" and kicks gravel just to proove that German emotions are just the same* frown wink

oi!

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
was meant more in a "Calvin and Hobbes"-way ubbangel

194 posts

Posted:
lol, i'm sure that german emotions are just the same, it's just that for any psychological research you have to show that your questionnaires give representitve results. The questionnaire in question here just hasn't been tested with other nationalities because it was only publish a short time ago.

Are you interested in Emotional intelligence Tom? Or would you just like to share your feelings with us? wink

Aeorimember
77 posts

Posted:
Done emotional intelligence = 130 hmm not too bad smile I'm in the highest bracket wooo

Fear my wrath and call me muffin for I am the muffin of doom!!

194 posts

Posted:
cool! and thanks for taking part.

btw if any of you take part and don't get a good score then don't worry, emotional intelligence can be improved with experience etc. so all is not lost. It's a snap shot of where you are now. wink

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
139... I win! wink

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I used to go to UCLAN...

I dropped out.. smile

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
@carrot girl: Certainly both.

I would like to share my feelings on "restricted research" and incredibly interested in emotional intelligence, as I believe it to be much more important than IQ.

The IQ does say nothing about your ability to survive. One could be a highly gifted scientist, but totally incapable of dealing with other people. On the other side one can be stupid, yet be incredibly gifted in (re)acting with ones environment.

For example: Intelligence serves you little, empathy is everything when you deal with (your) children... and children are the future.

May I now participate? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease? I'd even promise to have at least 10 stubbies the night before.. . wink tongue

194 posts

Posted:
 Written by: =Flashpoint=

I used to go to UCLAN...

I dropped out.. smile

How come you dropped out? What were you doing?

I love UCLan and have had a really good time doing psychology. I dropped out of my first degree though when i first left school - i tried electrical engineering - and it was hideous. Afterwards I felt really stupid. Finding the right subject makes a huge difference.

194 posts

Posted:

incredibly interested in emotional intelligence, as I believe it to be much more important than IQ.

I agree that emotional skills are really important. Looking after children is a nice example - it gives you a better quality of relationship

May I now participate? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease? I'd even promise to have at least 10 stubbies the night before.. . wink tongue

Hehe I may have a different sort of study for you to participate in devil the sort that doesn't get ethical approval...

PS what's a stubbie?

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I'm 125, with average happiness and I am somewhat dissatisfied with life.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Aeorimember
77 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Asena

139... I win! wink

awwww... but I was winning!!!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Carrot_Girl

Hehe I may have a different sort of study for you to participate in devil the sort that doesn't get ethical approval...

PS what's a stubbie?

*Harrharrharr*

devil I seem to have left the right impression with her biggrin
ubbangel but... but... it's just... oh, what a misperception... shrug

(Stubbies are bottles of beer... wink )

Are they checking the IP adresses and block anybody from outside the UK?
(sorry, maybe shouldn't have asked this) devil

194 posts

Posted:
Miss Perception may have to become my new title! devil I bet i got the right idea anyway wink

In answer, yes they would know if you were from outside the UK, plus it would waste some of their budget as they have to pay for each person to use the questionnaire. It's outrageous that we have to pay for tools in our research, but that's intellectual property for you.

*note to self, make a popular questionnaire and sit back while the cash floods in*

I reckon you could make a bomb just writing popular psychology about sex and flirting. LOL anyone care to suggest any study titles? Maybe...

"Investigation of the relationship between sexual attractiveness and private use of chocolate fondu"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*is completely bewildered by the idea that they actually have to pay per view/ person*

Don't you think that some of the Auztrailians and Americanos are participating, regardless?

I do not want to waste their budget, but I am sooooooo curious as in what kind of questions and results.... aaaaaaaargh that's not fair!

ubbangel slaps devils wrist: see, I toldya! Behave!

194 posts

Posted:
 Written by: 87wt2gxq7

Wah! What about those who were born as british ex-patriates?

What about them, I ask you???!!!

I don't even understand the question! ubbloco where do you live now and where were you born? and is english your first language?

Tom I can send you a copy of a different questionnaire if you like, so that you can see the sort of things it asks about? Just PM me your e-mail address. (i can do that for anyone who's interested). It is an intriguing topic isn't it?!

[And i know what you mean about paying for each use of a questionnaire - it's really common in psychology, and it can be up to £35 per person!!! mad]

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
eek mad2 censored

This sucks!
You rock!

okay, I'll keep my fingers off... PM on the way

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
whooop 130 but i accidentaly closed the page so i couldnt find out what it meant or find any of the other results...i may be emotionally inteligent but im a real muppet biggrin

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I got 143 biggrin *does the happy dance*
eat my emotional intelligence... apparently ubblol
hug 's to all

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i was a part of a study about IQ and EQ and their effect on highschool results...not sure what the end result was though. i should look that up! i'd be interested to know what i got on both of the tests! hehe

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Carrot girl: thankx

Aeorimember
77 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FreyaJ

whooop 130 but i accidentaly closed the page so i couldnt find out what it meant or find any of the other results...i may be emotionally inteligent but im a real muppet biggrin

Pretty much it means that your in the highest bracket of emotional intelligence and are bery good ar percieving emotions of people and acting accourdingly. You also have good control of your emotions and don't let them get away from you you can choose a suitable emotion (eg calmness as oposed to nervousness when goingt o a job interview) for the situation at hand.
Go you smile

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
145! I beat my monkey boy xxxx

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
yay hug

thanks Aeori! bounce

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

ClairebeSILVER Member
Destroyer of kitchen appliances
180 posts

Posted:
 Written by: =Flashpoint=

I used to go to UCLAN...

I dropped out.. smile

Me too. But you knew that already.

We should start a support group for people who nearly got a degree from UCLAN, but ran away instead. wink

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

daizeSILVER Member
175 posts

Posted:
God dammit, I wanna go. Stomps feet...

:P

daizeSILVER Member
175 posts

Posted:
Hey wait... maybe I can....hmmm *strokes chin*.

jensterPLATINUM Member
57 posts

Posted:

Page: