Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > A thought about construction...

Login/Join to Participate

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
I've just had a thought, that is to say a flicker, well more of a dull semblance of cognition; and this is it. Why not make interestingly shaped wicks? Say heart or star-shaped? I appreciate a lot of the effect would be lost when you span and they'd be just like normal toys but as a novelty thing I'd be quite interested, I think it'd be easy enough to do as well with a pair of decent fabric scissors and a wire frame to wrap the wick around...

*schemes*

Joe x

Edit: I'll just sneak in that I fully expect it to have been done before but 'shapes' is a big search to trawl through on the board!

EDITED_BY: Joe_47 (1158093714)

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
I suspect that such a wick would have a lower performance as it wouldn't be able to take up enoug fuel...unless you filled the centre of the wire frame with something absorbant and heatproof...

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Well I'd always assumed that i'd use a 2D frame and then flesh it out by wrapping the kevlar around it. However, to do the 3D frame idea you seem to be hinting at you could probably stuff it with fibreglass or alternatively (and more expensively) more kevlar. Ooooor you cut shapes out of kevlar and layer them on top of each other with a 2D wire frame in the middle to help hold the shape/allow reworking when you bent the thing...hmmmm...

Joe x

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i have star wicks - they're cathedral wicks with triangles folded at each square

they are amazingly bright but use a lot of fuel and get VERY hot (so hot that the wicks degenerate very quickly)

hope that helps

if you want ill post some images etc smile

back

HOP Newsletter