Forums > Videos > Glowstick and fire compilations

Login/Join to Participate

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone! weavesmiley biggrin

I'm Ange, an administrator over on the boards at glowsticking.com and I would like to share two recent compilations we have recently finished.

The first video is of glowsticks-

Bay Area Summer Compilation

The second is of fire-

Bay Area Summer Compilation - Fire poi session

I hope you all enjoy these, and all comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Music credit:

L'bby Haba - DJ Sammy

Woman Irie - Hilight Tribe

EDITED_BY: AngeDeLumiere (1159653168)

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
It appears as if the links need a little administration themselves,

here's a working version of the glowsticking link:

Written by: AngeDeLumiere

The first video is of glowsticks-

Bay Area Summer Compilation - 2006

meow

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
128 posts

Posted:
Fixed, thanks.

I made a tiny error with the URL. ubbidea

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Very nice! those glowstringing vids are really fast (looks like fastforward sometimes). It was really interesting seeing a glowstringing style slowed down for fire.

And the freestyle glowsticking(is that what it is called?) is something I've never seen before. Very nice editing as well. thanks for sharing! I sometimes sense tension between poiers and glowstringers (could be wrong though, as I can't remember why I think this) - this is a nice way to bridge any gaps!

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...
On the whole, I think everything is spun too fast, but having said that, I'm a poiest not a glowstringer.

I definatly like the style. It's not something I see too often.

I thought the lighting could have been better on the fire video. It was hard to see anything besides the flames.

All in all, a very nice two videos smile hug

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
128 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

Hmmm...
On the whole, I think everything is spun too fast, but having said that, I'm a poiest not a glowstringer.

I'm also a poist myself, and it's completely understandable that you think the style is too fast from a poi point of view.
Glowsticks are very light, much lighter than what poists swing, so in order to keep the momentum decent we need to spin them much faster. Glowsticks do have many advantages to poi though as they are much better suited for wraps, airwraps, orbital airwraps, and a variety of moves we like to call "string manipulations" as well. Many glowstringers like to incorporate glowstick freehanding and juggling into their spinning on top of that.
There HAVE been a lot of tensions between glowstringing and poi in the past, but I honestly think the two have a lot to learn from each other.

Thank you for the compliments

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Oh yes yes, I'm aware of all that biggrin
It's why I have heavy poi, better for slower spinning.

I think what you guys can do with glow sticks is amazing, and the style as I said before is certainly differant from what I usually see. It may not be my style, but it is good none-the-less hug

And why should there be tension? Poiest, staffer, glow stickers, diabloist whatever you do, we're all in it for the same thing. Love all around I say biggrin hug

x

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
That's a nice couple of videos you've posted there Ange. I don't get to watch to many glowstringing videos,,,kudos for posting one.

I tried GSC.com..and never really got going with it.

What was that at 4:50 on the stringing vid? It looked like a BTB buzzsaw followed by some sort of shoulder dislocation, that truly was impressive.

WOFT...google "Ravergirl" and watch her Art of Glowstringing video for more freehanding goodness.

Poi spinners can learn something about plane control by working with glowsticks, I know they sure helped clean up my extensions and 4BT TTN.

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
128 posts

Posted:
 Written by: stout

What was that at 4:50 on the stringing vid? It looked like a BTB buzzsaw followed by some sort of shoulder dislocation, that truly was impressive.

The move I did at 4:50 is a glowstick variation of a hyperloop called an Orbital Airwrap. Orbitals are similar to hyperloops because they are both same-direction tangly moves, but they differ because hyperloops involve no pulling with the poi far apart from each other whereas in an orbital you need a sharp timed tug/pull on the strings to shrink it down to the poi head and keep the momentum going.
The move is also my own variation of an orbital, I do it behind my back instead, and then pull it over my head to the front thanks to flexible arms. I put a lot of effort into cleaning it up so it looked decent. I cant count how many times I've bruised the back of my head trying to learn it. biggrin

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Neat ... very fast for my taste but nicely played, especially the glowstick Vid. Holding planes with those no-weight sticks must be tough ...

Also really liked the music (glowstick Vid), who is that ?

Oh and last, I was really reluctant to download zip files and only did as former comments indicated its clean stuff inside, so maybe next time can you put the movie file up, also you dont gain much by zipping movies anyway ...

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I believe that the reason vids from glowstring.com are in .zip format is not for compression reasons (as movie files don't compress well), but purely to prevent people 'streaming' them over broadband connections?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
128 posts

Posted:
 Written by: onewheeldave

I believe that the reason vids from glowstring.com are in .zip format is not for compression reasons (as movie files don't compress well), but purely to prevent people 'streaming' them over broadband connections?

100% correct. We have all sorts of problems over on GSC with copyright infringement so having the files zipped helps a lot with people trying to steal bandwidth on our videos.

the name of the song on the glow video is

L'bby Haba - DJ Sammy
EDITED_BY: AngeDeLumiere (1159652928)

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Like mind games, free hand , body popin,
360, orbital, electric boogie.

"Meens friendship."

light, :R

POI THEO(R)IST

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
128 posts

Posted:
Another video you might all find extremely interesting, a unique form of contact glowstringing that isn't seen too often.

LiS102trAntS - Handles 4.1605

weavesmiley