CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Check out my gallery for pictures of my newest invention. I call it the Fire Catcher. It is a metal square wrapped in kevlar with a kevlar net stretched in the middle. You grab the net and use it to spin the catcher like a staff. You can either grab and spin alternating hands, or you can stick your finger in one net hole and crank it out like an isolation. I have plans to make a smaller version so I can change sides.

What do yall think? It'll be at Burning man this year too. smile

[image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12897[/image]

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
That looks pretty damned cool smile

How do you stop the fuel from wicking up from the edges into the net in the middle?
Also, have you done anything to protect the edges of the net that'll be right next to the flames?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Those were the problems with my first attempt, I was using the kevlar thread to connect the net to the frame, and although it's kevlar, It burned through. This latest version has a heavy guage wire connecting the net to the frame which allows about 4" space between the net and wick. It worked pretty well, only one net loop broke/burned through. I am going to reinforce each conecting loop with another strand of kevlar string and independently wire the corners.

I use a mix of white gass and lamp oil which gave me about a 3 minute burn time. That is long enough for this prop, it gets quite warm. :P

Cody Canon

AngrabodaBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
That's an interesting one, indeed! I actually ran into that picture earlier, and it was pretty much a "wow, what the hell is that?" reaction.

What I'd really like to see is some documentation of you using this thing in action. XD I wanna see what it looks like.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Done similar things with hoop(s), had a lot of fun with the design, but had construction problems that were never really successfully resolved,

mark

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I am defiantely still in the "working out bugs" phase. But I was quite impressed with the outcome. It is a totally different animal on fire. smile

Cody Canon

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Its amazing how much crazy toys are different even just soaked in fuel. Then add the fire and.. yeah... hang on.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
That's so cool. I was just thinking, what would that be like with a bar instead of netting? Like one steel rod from the top to bottom that you could do staff moves with?

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
That would work too except you could have a problem with tilt. The extra weight at the top and bottom (if you held the staff part horizontal) may want to come in towards you and or flutter. The net helps you keep even tension on the whole square.

The biggest problem with this current design is you can't do a figure 8. I have been toying with the idea of making the same thing with a slit in one side effectively making a spiral. You could do a figure 8 and cross in front of you if you initiate the cross at the slit. The trick is designing it to hold together and not cook you like an oven. The other option is to make the square small enough that you can move from one side to the other.

Cody Canon