Page:
steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
I am planning to go travelling down under later this year (Sept/Oct).
I am hoping to travel along the East coast between Adelaide and Cairns/Great Barrier Reef. Spending between 6-8 months traveling and working my way around.
I am wondering if there are any places I have to visit or any events happening whilst I am there which are worth visiting. As well as any HoPers who would be willing to offer crash space to a wandering soul.
All help will be greatly accepted and I will update this thread and first post as things develop (i.e. visa, flights etc etc.)

ubblove hug weavesmiley juggle

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
If you come to Melbourne, you gotta come to [Old link]

smile

I would offer you a place to stay here but I live 2 hours away from Melb in a small country town so it would be that exciting I'm afraid!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'm a Melbournite and you are welcome to stay with me! My flatmates are getting very used to random spinners and jugglers appearing!

i *do* have a blow-up mattress...I just don't tell some people and force them to snuggle in my single bed with me! So whichever you like! *tee hee*

As for things to do, the Great Ocean Road is lovely. It's a stretch of coast from Warnambool to Torquay.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
lookin forward to meeting you smile always a spare bed here if you need hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the offers guys.
Roar I plan on visiting as many spinny meets as possible whilst I am down under.

Rougie, a single bed huh? Sometimes its a shame that I can be easily persuaded wink

Pete, thanks but I think Rougies is a better offer whilst I am in Melbourne but look forward to meeting you all the same smile hug

I am not going to be able to make it to Common Ground as I cant get to Oz until at least the 10th of october now.

Owner of Clarence_Quack

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Well Adelaide has a rocking fire scene with Friday nights under the bridge, and regular fire friendly parties. You'd be crazy to miss it.

Pity you wont make it to CG...

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
come to brisbane!
Every full moon there is Moonfest which is a luvely night with lots of spinner & drummer types smile - theres a few other things going on as well.

Theres always a spare bed here for random travellers as well smile

ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Onya Ed!! Glad to see you keeping the house hospitality vibe going while I'm away biggrin
And indeed Steaks, you are most welcome to the Brisvegas Poipackers Hostel! (I'm working on having a bed there myself when I finally get home...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
Thank you for the offer Dentrassi, I may well take you up on that offer. I was planning to visit at least one (possibly more) Moonfests whilst I am down under.

Gabe, was great to meet you at PLAY and I look forward to meeting you again on my travels. Will have to remember my spinning plates as well so I can show you how far I got with trying to juggle them wink

I should have the money tomorrow to aply for my visa and have been told it takes about a month to process, baring any oddaties with it (which there shouldn't be)

Owner of Clarence_Quack

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Arriving on the 10th Oct? um...i might be needing to retract my offer, sorry. That's mighty close to exam time...too close for my liking.
*starts to pack bags to run away from exams*

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
What're you doing? You guys shouldn't be rushing to meet him! You should be fleeing! Fleeing! wink

Enjoy your trip man... give a hug to peeps for me! smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Hey! I am fleeing! *points to her last post*

awakenSILVER Member
The Evil Pixie (apparently)
716 posts

Posted:
That would be really cool to meet up with you in Brisbane!!

I'm currently moving house, but hopefully depending on the new one there will be an extra bed, bedroom or sleepout for extra hoppers... or i've got a double bed and absolutely no prospects of luring anyone else into it, anytime soon tongue The house *must* have decent backyard for twirling - the one thing I'm putting my foot down about. (and be closish to the city and have a bathtub, and a big back deck for all my plants.. etc etc etc)

Enough of me crapping on... you have to come to a Juggle-jam as well in Brisbane

rock hopping, hop-scotching, pippy pocky stocking - Sureau - wink thanks Jen! biggrin

Ry: I can't hear you. I'm listening to The Spice Girls.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Heya,

Just here to represent the chronically absent old-skool sydney community. Drop me a line when you are in town. I can't guarantee you my full attention as I have such wonderfully stressy shite as my sister's wedding and stuff for my masters degree due at that point, but I may be able to buy you a drink and steer you in the direction of firespinny-type entertainment.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
FRD You know you love me and will miss me wink

My plans are to fly into Sydney sometime between the 10-20 october and staying there for maybe a week or so.
Then traveling down to Adelaide where the real adventure will start.
I haven't worked out how long I will be staying in each town/city, or even how many I will get to visit. But I plan on visiting as many of you as possible.
My aim is to start in Adelaide and go all the way around the east coast until I get to Cairns.

Rougie, I doubt I will make it to Melbourne before November. Will most likely be celibrating my birthday there as well. So a big spinny meet may have to be organised for that wink (its on the 13th Nov if you really want to know)

Owner of Clarence_Quack

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
UPDATE: I now have my visa sorted for traveling and working in Aus.

I plan on leaving around 20th Nov and flying into Sydney for a few days before transfering to Adelaide and begining my travels there. Where I visit and how long I stay in each place is still open to debate, but I plan on attending at least one Moonsfest, the juggle con in Sydey at the end of Jan & the fest in Tasmania in Feb.

Anywhere else anyone can recomend to me to visit and any crash space available will be much appretiated.

PM's on there way to a few people I have already corresponded with for exchange of numbers etc.

Anyone in the Sydney area willing to meet me at the airport/bus/train station and put me up when I first arrive for a few nights please PM me

bounce2
EDITED_BY: steaks (1162239157)

Owner of Clarence_Quack

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
visit brissie you must, steaks...!! but we'll have to cook up something suitably firey and spinney and drummery for u, though, cos u may find moonfest is a lil lonely in the coming months... frown

fire party @ "someone"'s place, perhaps? biggrin

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
I am deffinatly going to visit Brissy, Pogo and a party sounds great. I think Awaken is helping with crash space in brissie.
I will keep everyone informed of plans as and when they are finalised.

Owner of Clarence_Quack

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
cool... let's just take it upon ourselves to extrapolate, shall we? fire party @ pip's place... wOOT!!!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pogo69

visit brissie you must, steaks...!! but we'll have to cook up something suitably firey and spinney and drummery for u, though, cos u may find moonfest is a lil lonely in the coming months... frown

fire party @ "someone"'s place, perhaps? biggrin

and who is this someone you speak of?

Hi steaks...Loads of hoppers have stayed with us... the offer is there is you want it.. smile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
hehehe... I thought that post might bring a certain lil chicken outta the woodwork... I *may* have had someone in your general vicinity in mind while posting... tongue

*whistles innocently*

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
everybody needs steak

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:

hehehe... I thought that post might bring a certain lil chicken outta the woodwork... I *may* have had someone in your general vicinity in mind while posting... tongue

*whistles innocently*

OK lets do it. biggrin Fondue and everything hey? ubblol

But only if you promise to dance for me pogo...*giggles*

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
Ok, My tickets have been booked.
I arrive in Sydney at 9pm on the 21st Nov (Tuesday) and I think Madjuggler is helping with crash space whilst I am in Sydney (not confirmed yet though).
I plan on booking connections to Adelaide before I leave to arrive arround the 26th +/- a day or two.
I have a list of hostels to stay at in Adelaide, but would prefer if I could find space with a hopper (anyone that can help contact me via carrier pigeon wink [or PM])
I leave Sydney to return to the UK on 21st May (Monday) at 9.55pm

I belive Awaken is helping with accomodation when I eventually make it round to Brisbane. Everything else is still up in the air. And it looks like I won't be able to make a Moonfest now either, as they are all cancelled until May, when I am coming home frown
Look forward to meeting as many of you as possible whilst I am down under and I am sure you will all make this a trip for me to remember (in a good way of course)

*is getting really excited now bounce *

Owner of Clarence_Quack

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yep biggrin being excited is almost as good as being here bounce

Serious word of warning, look out for the dropbears, I was almost got by one yesterday when I was out walking with Malcolm. Its generally best to run past every tree you have to go underneath. frown

You will have a brilliantly fantastic time, I know I have/ did/ am having. ubbrollsmile

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Steaks,
I presume you've looked at Events and realised that [Old link] between Christmas and New year?

Check out the thread for a range of enthusiams or go straight to the website www.woodfordfolkfestival.com

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Valura

*whistles innocently*

OK lets do it. biggrin Fondue and everything hey? ubblol

But only if you promise to dance for me pogo...*giggles*

YAY 4 fondue!!!!!! bounce bounce bounce

hehehe, dancing pogo eek what have I done?!?! but then... fondue... it's a deal... I shall even throw in some guitarey goodness as well wink

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
Will do my best to get there Gabe, thanks for the links.

Pogo, Valura, sounds like a plan. Anyone telling Pip about this party at her house, or is she just going to find out when everyone turns up on her doorstep?

and John, are Dropbears that big a problem down under? Any advice on how to avoid an attack from one?

Owner of Clarence_Quack

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
steaks... u must where a pointy hat...

and we were talking about partying @ kristy's place, not pip's... although... we could just do both? biggrin

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
I have a pointy striped gnome hat custom made by the lovely miss Skully, will that do?

And my bad about the party redface

Owner of Clarence_Quack

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
No, hat (geddit? smile is made from wool. You need one that is stronger and non flexible.

Page: