Forums > Social Chat > Names of the next generation

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
I was on a bus today.
Thinking about people getting older and how we'll be later on.
Some people you can just see what they'll be when they'er sixty*, and that led me onto thinking how conversations will go.
[Insert stereotyped old person dialouge here]

"Arrr Becky, pass the sugar will ya,"
"I dunno Sabina, might play with ya kidneys..."
"Shut up or Bozzie'll look funny at you,"

And it struck me. These names, that are now so apparently youthful and contempoary will sound oldfashioned some day.. That means there are going to be a whole new (or more likely recycled) collection of names that kids are gonna have, and many at once if I know anything of fashions in nameing.
So I'm curious, what kindsa names do you all like enough to land someone with for life, and do you have any plans to do so should little twirlers ever emerge? I'd rather like to know what sorts of things we'll be calling those that come after.

For myself I like stylish, dynamic old names like Dorian and Giacomo. Marie and Alexi and Andre and Emiline. Steve's got an oddly energetic ambience too, which is rather more modern sounding than Jaques which I favour too, as is Charlie. Lots of other names I like enough to pass on to someone small in need of one, though oddly enough only three more come to mind. Three people I like well enough and in the right ways to name someone for their influence, and by a happy coincidence they all post here. Yes dearies, our very own Ilsanya who is also called Saan, FSA who is Taya and Raro who is Critt are the only ones in all the world I'd name someone after.

What names would you like to pass on?

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I work with children, and i come across "fashionable" names all the time. And some of the names that come through we will stand at the counter and wonder how the hell we are supposed to pronounce them! My pet hates are ones that are pronounced like a "normal" name, but spelt all "new age". I think that must be horrid for the child because they will always have to spell their names out for people.

If I immacutely conceived tomorrow;
Girl: Morgana Scarlett
Boy: Rohan Dane

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

If I immacutely conceived tomorrow;
Girl: Morgana Scarlett
Boy: Rohan Dane

What beautiful taste in names you have. ubbrollsmile

Poor kids with names with ninteen Qs in them...Isn't it odd how so many people'll sieze on a name at once? At my primar school we had two girls with not only the same first name but the last one too. Must've been fun in roll call.
This says nothing of all the Daves in Hobart, either.

Chucks nuns

FlamezBRONZE Member
56 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

My pet hates are ones that are pronounced like a "normal" name, but spelt all "new age". I think that must be horrid for the child because they will always have to spell their names out for people.

My name is not new age, but it is dutch : Machteld.

The ch you pronounce like a G in afrikaans.
I think it is a beautifull name *pat myself on sholder* but i must say, it was embaracing at school, especialy the english teachers!!

teacher: " Mac.... uhm... Match .... uhm ... uhm ... Miss Kotze!!!"

Thats even worse, cause in afrikaans me surname is close to "puke".

Sorry i think i went off topic, but what i am trying to say is that i agree with you Rouge!!

Keep it simple biggrin

"My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely."

"Insanity is my only means of relaxation."

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
You know, wierd as it is, I was actually thinking about this when I was out walking last night!

Um, being a hill dweller and all, I would have to say that I like the old fashioned Scottish names, almost timeless, such as:

girls - Mhairi (pron, vahree), Skye, Eilidh (pron, Ailee)
boys - Kye, Arron, Iain

Loads of good Scandinavian names too, Freya I think is my favourite, and Thalia and Thenna are good Greek names. ubbloco

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
If I have a boy hes going to have a strong 'old fashioned' name like James, Alex, David, Steven etc..
But for girls I like 'pretty' names, ones that are a bit differant, but not completly off the wall..

Lottie (a shortening of charlotte) is a name I love, also Ivy, Rose, and Lily.

I work in a care home, and some of the ladies have the most beautiful names, and you think if they were named anything else they wouldnt be them. Its funny how some parents just get it spot on.

I really like my name and my middle name Catherine. Aimée Catherine. I think they just go together.
Although I get people scoffing at the way my first name is spelt sometimes.
Somebody even told me to change it by deed poll as it was wrong and 'Amy' was the proper way to spell it!
I thinks its very elegant way of spelling it... smile
Although people seem to find great difficulty remembering how to spell it, its something even one of my aunties has yet to master! ubblol

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
For me when it comes to names I guess I'm rather old fashioned,, not really sure about boys names at the minute although i did always have a favorite but its been so long I've forgotten it lol I'd probably just be mean and name him Nicholas like me as everyone likes a Nik wink

For girls I've always loved either Elsbeth and Veronica and i know that with my habbit of shortening everything they'd end up Beth or Ronnie but those are both nice names too.

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
I have two girls- one was named by me, and the other by my husband (coincidence, we didn't plan it that way) also one has an old fashioned name and the other has a more unusual name (again, coincidence).

Their names are Isobel Eve, and Tamzin Tia. We have terrible problems with people misspelling them, even members of the family. People also seem to misread Tamzin as Tasmin alot. I'm sorry, but it's only 6 letters, and it's really not that unusual (this annoys me).

I have to say though that my name is continually misspelt and pronounced (Helen) so I usually just shorten it to the last 3 letters.

As for the name of my next bundle? Wait a month and I'll be able to tell you smile

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

If I have a boy hes going to have a strong 'old fashioned' name like James, Alex, David, Steven etc..

I like the name Alex... Its like *sigh* ubblove ...

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Have to say I quite like old fashioned, strong names too. I also like names with a bit of mythical element in them, so biblical names, Greek names, old Celtic names, names of dead ancestors e.t.c.

I'd like to give my kid's names they can go and read up about, find out where they came from and what their significance is. My own name is Gabrielle - would have been Gabriel if I was a boy. So I know I was named after the angel, but it also means 'Word of God' or 'Mouth of God' biggrin and I know it is a hebrew name pronounced 'Jehbrael' in it's original form.

For girls, I like Lily (my great-grandmother's name), Freya, Isobel, Maria, Poppy, Ruth, Grace.

Boys names I always find harder to pick! I quite like Tristan, Rueben, Zeb and Seth.

If i ever have two kids I'm quite tempted to call them Indica and Sativa wink , they're a couple of unusual names, would be great when the kids figure out where their names came from!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
I like odd and or uncommomn names. my sons name's are Daniel and And Mordecai, but we call them Danny and Kai for short. We want to have another and i thought of some names.

'tis a girl:Castle,Gavis,Pillar,or Morgan

'tis a boy:Grey,Gavin,Orlo,Daemon,or Christo

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
aimee - there is an aimee spelt that way and aparently its latin and it means beloved/liked wink

ive always liked the names josh, jacob, jack for boys and elsa for a girl. i dont seem to like many for girls ubblol looks like ill be having mostly boys then!

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
https://www.babynames.com
is sooooooo cool

i also love the names: ezra, ezikiel, aaron, ummmmmmmmmmmm yeah, cant think of any others right now....ummmmmmm Kaatje (my dog middle name)

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I called my daughter Indigo. As I have Dutch speaking family in Belgium, French speaking family in Morocco and I myself, live in England, I needed a name that would still sound the same in any language.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Back when I thought I might be a parent, I'd wanted Lily for a girl and Elliott for a boy. But my partner and I have decided not to adopt after all, so we're the uncles to Chloe and Jeremiah and Declan, cool names all I think.

One name currently in vogue in some circles that I just can't stand is Nevaeh (pronounced 'neh-vee-uh'). In case you don't see it, it's "heaven" spelled backwards. Drives me crazy!!

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Spanner: one of my friends is called Rufus, he's 26

I've always liked Elanor

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

643 posts

Posted:
Arsena, I've always dug the name Alex as well, and as of last night I'm going out with someone who's got it. biggrin ubbrollsmile cool ubbrollsmile sunny
Gerogina's rather neat to call someone too.
Your are mummies Spanner and Misscorinthian? Congratulations! Your kids are lucky ones. biggrin

Gosh there are going to be some well named small ones kicking around in a couple of decades.

Chucks nuns

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My sons: Aaron and Andrew.

Daughters: Rachel and Sarah

I think they're all beautiful names, simple, timeless, and elegant.

My father taught me never to go for trendy and always to go for timeless.

(Edit: apparently I must have typed "ignorant" when I meant "Elegant"? I was tired...)
EDITED_BY: Doc Lightning (1154193231)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Ezekiel was always a fave of mine Rouge and I like Zeke too but we both had th like the name so Zak he became.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

_FSA_now comes with skydiving license
1,627 posts

Posted:
Alot of my teachers had trouble with my name when i first started in their classes. My name is Taya Ketelaar-Jones, which I don't see as being very difficult especially considering I don't have any middle names.. It could be worse, it could be the traditional Dutch version: Thea Johanna Maria Theresa (or Teresa) Ketelaar-Jones. which is what I'm pushing for because I'd like the keep the Dutch part of me prominant and also think Thea is a much nicer spelling than Taya.. Taya is pretty much a bastardised Australian version of Thea.. mainly due to the fact my faither couldn't say Thea..

Something that sh!ts me no end is people calling me Tayla (Taylor).. Can't they see, THERE IS NO 'L' IN TAYA?! .. Or when you look on sites like the one Rouge Dragon posetd https://www.babynames.com
it tells you that the name Taya is derived from the name Taylor and that's the only meaning they give.. Well in fact, my name is not from the name Taylor.. It has nothing to do with that. It's from Thea, as I've pointed out before..

Right, enough of my ranting.. I'm sure I've bored you all..

Names I like:
Female: Khya (my cousins name) Azra (also my cousins name!) Carmen
Male: Theodore (or Theo) .. can't think of any others right now..

Proudly owned by the very cute Pineapple Pete. Owner of Noddy. Joint owner of Mr Majestik.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Samael and Morgan both boys names. They have middle names Sam's is rather long ubblol

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Girls: Tori, Zarli, Imogen

Boys: Isaac, Archer, Zeke, Lachlan

I don't know if I'll actually name my kids these, but they are names that I love smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

lilith_in_londonSILVER Member
149 posts

Posted:
Nice one Doc, I'm sure my parents would agree with you - I'm Sara and my sister is Raquel... altough apparently there was a messy exchange of names at some point, I was meant to be Raquel smile

As for my children-to-be, I think Maja (mah-yaa) is a beautiful name, and it means Earth... shame that the spelling is technically incorrect in my language. I also like Lilith, or Lilly (again, sounds silly in portuguese frown )

For boys, Gabriel, David, Daniel or ... Alex! smile

c'est pas nous qui sommes à la rue, c'est la rue kétanou!

1st official camden town (uk) meet 21st october! see the events bit

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
My mum wanted names that couldn't be shortened, she messed up with my sister, i'm Sarah, my sister is Stefanie and my brother is Isaac Stef has alot of problems with people spelling her name with a ph.

Steph: My friends wanted a strong, unusual, but not off the wall name for their son. His name is Archer.

ok, names i like, but will probably never use cuz i don't intend to have kids:

Boys: Zeke, Zane, and Nathaniel

Girls: Electra, Imagen (i don't like Imogen), Akasha, and Anastacia (ana-sta-cia, not ana-stay-sha)

oh, i also LOVE my friend Caiti's whole name, i think it's beautiful: Caitlin Mistral Jones-DeVree. I think it sounds like the name of an edwardian countess or something.

EDIT: OOh, i forgot Talen and Kalten for boys.
EDITED_BY: FoxInDocs (1154301034)

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i LOVE Archer.

It's the surname in my penname! biggrin

643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fire_Spinning_Angel

Alot of my teachers had trouble with my name when i first started in their classes.

[...]

Right, enough of my ranting.. I'm sure I've bored you all..

Names I like:

Female: Khya (my cousins name) Azra (also my cousins name!) Carmen

Male: Theodore (or Theo) .. can't think of any others right now..

I didn't know good taste in names ran in your family! ubbrollsmileI wasn't bored...interesting stories you tell, and bah as ignorant teachery people.

In Other News

I do verily agree with you Doc about timelessness, and Archer's a brill name! I know someone who only comes up to my knees called that.

Chucks nuns

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I like how folks say "my kids will be called whatever" but in truth you can't REALLY name them till they come out. You might have a good idea that by luck suits them when they arrive but there's no way to name a baby till you see it's cute little face appearing for the first time ubblove

It was really hard to name our little boy, we spent months trying to find something we both liked. Memories of old enemies or untrustworthy aquaintances put a stop to some really good names!

Georges Mom suggested Eden and even though I thought it was nice it was a bit too feminine (we knew he was gonna be a boy) so I bastardised it into Edan which seemed far better and I really liked it because I hadn't heard it before.

It turned out that Edan was already a real name that comes from the same root that Aiden (or Aidan) comes from and is and old Celtic (of the Scot variety I think) for fire devil which was nice biggrin And a wonderful coincidence of course wink ubbangel

One thing we figured was cool with his name is that if he doesn't like it he could still become an Ed, Eddie, Dan or Danny or take his middle name George (after his Mum) as his day to day name.

Who knows what'll happen if we have another, although I found girls names much easier to choose than boys. I quite like Molly and have since I was quite a small-un myself, although now it's well into a fasionable resurgance it somehow puts me off shrug dunno why, it's the same name after all.

I like clear sounding names, I'm not too bothered about where they come from or what they mean, but if it means something nice it's a good bonus, especially if there's a personal connection.

I do have a personal hatred of fasion names, I know it's hard not to think more about the names you hear but if I see another Connor or Callum name badge on something at Nursery I'm gonna burst!!

Mia seems really popular now too and who'd have thought such a small name could have so many spellings!!!! All those people being 'different' eh rolleyes

Some folks might find these links interesting smile It'd be cool to compare the top 10's of all countries of people on here to see what similarities do appear. Does popular global media stretch as far as childrens names on opposite sides of the world?

most popular girls names UK

most popular boys names UK

Gov't naming article

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
My friend Lucie named her baby 'Bertie' - it is a cute name but I can imagine the stick he will get in playground. It is an old family name. She asked us for babyname suggestions. With the criterior she gave us I was quite keen on 'Albion' but have since discovered it's the name of the pub around the corner from her so best not...

I did tell her that she had a Liquorice Allsort for a son

The baby IS uber-cute so I can forgive anyhing! ubblove

I have a nephew called 'Keanu'... That's a whole different story...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dunc

I quite like Molly

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin Mollydog?

Dunc you're right, you cant name a kiddy wink. If i had a kid, I know for a FACT they would not be called:

Trevor, Chantelle, Chelsea, Kevin, Kelsey, Wayne, Shane, etc etc.

names i do like: Jimi, Zia (means enlightenment), Ben (after my bro) and Marley. smile

However, obviously I dont want to get preggers yet and ruin my beautiful beach goddess body! ubblol

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
OMG it took me months before i decided, espcialy with my youngest and even then you do have to see them to see if it fits. I know it sounds strange but it is true. ubblol

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Actually Dunc your right,, apparently mum had an utterly different name picked out for me,, up until the day i was born i was going to be an Andrew (shudders) but the moment she saw me I was Nick and boy am I glad heh. Now I'm sure Andrew's a nice name for other people,, but me..... Nahhhhh.

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

Page: