Page: ...
tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
it seems staff twirling has evolved into three main categories

Contact staff ,
Staff twirling/firedancing,
Staff juggling(rubber heart style)

Would people agree with this observation?

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
I would agree that there seam to be, seperate styles, but the fact is that every one has thier own style, and altho i cant follow one of the above, most mix them together to great effect.

the best thing to watch, appart from someone really good, is some one really enjoying them selves. but im just a young/old hippy at heart :P (well not really)

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Thats really hard.
Does double contact come under contact, and straight forward doubles go under twirling, cos really I think they should have their own category.

I reckon just watching one staff being wizzed around in circles can be mesmorising but watching someone spin for 5 mins without even touching the staff with their hands is awsome. Not sure you can really compare.
If you ask the question "which is best to watch" I think you'd get better results from non-fire spinners.

Personally Id rather spin than watch biggrin LOL!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
lol me too,i love it all but contact done well is i think the most mesmerising.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
antti's new contact video is a classic,he puts in some nice throwsand its very clean

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Flame boy's right, fire spinners are going to be completely biased into saying that whatever style they prefer is best, which might be something completely different from a non fire twirling audience.

Maybe Ive just been heavily involved with fire staffs too long, but I find spinning tricks completely boring, unless the person is an amazing dancer of course, but everyone would have to agree fast spinning with really simple tricks is often a big crowd winner.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Spinniny tricks are great for an audience (especially doubles). Contact is amazingly impressive to those who stick play because of its difficulty level.

I love watching people who are enjoying their spinning. whether they are doing a few simple figure 8's or matrix's.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
lol @ contact fixation!
what on earth did staffers perform before contact twirling was popularised?
i like to eat pickles, but it's silly to eat it to the exclusion of everything else.
i like contact twirling, however there's more to staff...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
very true bender it hink all styles of staff are valid both for performance and fun,the more crossovers between different styles we see the better,
i agree also a good dancer who can also twirl well is great to watch,
i think one reason i like to watch contact staff is because i dont do it,so i can watch it less critically than i might watch twirling or juuggling staffs,
i just love staff full stop.
destroy all poi wink

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Contact staff potentially encompasses both "normal" twirling and staff juggling moves, whilst progressing both these forms with the addition of more control points and a greater variety of staff motions. This potential,for me at least, makes it superior.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Although i clicked on contact in the above........ im not sure i agree on the whole seporate style thing....

Yes these are differant terminology for types of moves but i do not feel as though they each dictate a style...

Spinny spinny staff for me is much the same as contact staff - its essencially a similar move just done closer to the body - take halos for instance - push them away from your shoulders and you have a pinwheel.

Just using throws as a style of staff - i cant see either, i think we leave that to the jugglers wink

Staff twriling in itself for me is an amalgamation of all of the above termed "styles" - when you single out a move to learn - it can be catagorised - but to spin a good spin i believe you need to use all of them to flow from one movenet to the next........

The idea is not to be static i guess, which concentrating on one "style" could lead to shrug

Good subject mind biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

Staff twriling in itself for me is an amalgamation of all of the above termed "styles" - when you single out a move to learn - it can be catagorised - but to spin a good spin i believe you need to use all of them to flow from one movenet to the next........

ditto

Even in my eyes, a poier with minimal staff skills skills, and good staff spinner will incorporate all of those styles into his movemant.

An interesting performance is one that changes often, the moves and style change, the movemant of your body changes.

To have just one would rather boring!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Couldn't say it better. it's basically an incorporation of everything. yes there are different aspects but hey everybodies different.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
who cares about what you do with the staff? It's what you do with your body that's important...

!!!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
i'm not sure I agree with the categories, in my opinion it's missing acrobatics and techy spinning. Also staff juggling to me implies 2 or more staffs which opens open a whole can of worms in terms of categories.

anyway to keep things simple lets say staff juggling is just single staff throws. In my experence people who are considered contact staffer infact do alot more than just contact and when you see them spin (not practise but spin) they'll generally combine and all three categories and maybe abit more. So in conclusion (be warned this has nothing to do with what i've said so far) I like anything thats done well, weather it sticks to one category or five

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

ethernewbie
1 post

Posted:
 Written by: T&B

In my experence people who are considered contact staffer infact do alot more than just contact and when you see them spin (not practise but spin) they'll generally combine and all three categories and maybe abit more.

In my experience it's been the opposite! Contact staff people spend so much time on contact they forget to spin! Because it is impressive the trend I've seen is to go for impressive and forget about the beauty in spinning.

I once watched a girl do a complicated neck roll, then proceed to drop her staff every other move while spinning.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
OMG! Like, after that one anecdote, you opinion MUST be true!

In my opinion, contact is soo hard, it teaches you spinning by accident.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i agree with ether

mcp, she talk the rubbish, cos she's too in love with contact.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
How on earth does anybody learn to do contact with out being able to spin? You have to spin the staff to start off contact moves...

3,149 posts

Posted:
bah, like you need more than figure 8.

Thats typical of your blinkered and incredibly narrow view of spinning meg. Just something to do inbetween contact eh?

I've just gone throught the last five pages of the "i learned a new staff move" thread

1 post about throws
3 posts about fingerspins
4 posts about spinning (all from beginners)
54 posts about contact (*yawn*)

oh, but of course we're all perfectly balanced in our style round here umm

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ether

I once watched a girl do a complicated neck roll, then proceed to drop her staff every other move while spinning.

That why I said spin and not pratice. contact staff is alot harder then other parts of spinning so it take more pratice to do and even more to make it look good, that's way if you see a contact staffer pratice it might look abit rubbish, unflowing and they'll be alot of drops. It doesn't mean that they can't spin with real beauty when there not praticing there latest contact combo.

Best thing for you to do is to download the vid "winter spin" on www.inspinerate.com which has loads of wicked contact and some lovely spinning combo in it. Then get back to me if you haven't changed your mind.

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

3,149 posts

Posted:
er, tim... you've just totally misread that post.
"drop her staff every other move while spinning"

This fits in totally with what i see with staffers everywhere, particularly people who started learning recently. Over reliance on contact, no idea how to twirl nicely.

And all you lot very keen to keep it that way for some reason shrug

i'm not saying T&B or mcp can't twirl, cos they both can. They don't, but they can. But that don't mean that all the people who are copying all their contact moves can twirl too.

ah whatever, i'll carry on over here doing me own thing, as per usual. But the state of modern staff makes me very sad frown

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i'm with the monkey on this one - contact does not teach good spinning by proxy.

from looking around me, contact-only spinning seems to encourage 'messy' planes i.e. planes chosen to make the move easier to perform rather than planes that are common to both contact and 'normal' spinning that tie everything in together.

i believe that if you don't spend any time actually twirling for twirling's sake, your regular spinning will most likely suck.

i admit that i may be biased...]

i don't do no contact stick and i only get really excited about it when it has super tight timing and planes shrug

doubles fishtail isolations still make me smile though.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
You need a little bit more than the figure of eight, but then really is there any other spinning movement? wink

I love my blinkered view.

If you want to make normal spinning interesting or hard add dance and movement to the mix. Otherwise it just isn't. (hard that is, it's interesting for me, but I doubt for anybody else.)

There are some interesting throws and isolations and anti-spin stuff, but that isn't 'normal'.

throws: pretty limited with one staff, after a while you have to add prefixes like BTB, anti-spin, pirouette to make them interesting. Or become a baton-twirler.

fingerspins: Well, after you can do it both ways, it's pretty much doing it at all angles of your arm and doing it with your arm moving. At which point you can back to spinning modifiers like: anti-spin isolated and more importantly: dance + movement. It doesn't interest me to just see somebody fingerspin. It's not hard, I learned it, and I couldn't do it when I was a child. One beat fingerspins would be pretty weird and pointless. Anti-spin ones are just a question of arm stamina.

spinning: After you've got the basics, there not much left to learn: supposedly technical stuff like one beats, anti-spin and triple spins. which are still pretty easy. and then we're onto movement, making nice patterns and dance. Which is all non-technical, non-discussed and not really something you post about in I learned a new move.

So I went a wee bit ranty there.

The main point is, you can't really post about weird dance / movement / combo things you learned in the new moves thread. It's a) not a thread about that and b) usually a part of your style and not something that other people can learn easily or indeed should learn. It's your style after all.

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
fair enough I did miss read that post but I'd still go and have a look at Winter of spin cos it's cool.

Personally I wouldn't say I don't spin normally I'll do 5-10mins spinning and warming up then an hour in contact but combining it with different and hopfully resonalby interesting spinning combos to join it up. Also for most burns I try and spin without contact for bits of them and every so often do a full burn spinning a fast and controled as possible. I'm not saying am not a contact junky but that cos I don't get enough insperation from other part of single staff not to be.

plus the moden state of staff spinning make me smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

cole. x

confused

would be wiggly...

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
i dont get how you would start learning contact stuff without learning spinny stuff, ive only been doing staff bout 6/7 months and im jus gettin to stage when im comfortable with most freehand spinny moves and beginning to get there with contact

i dont really see why you'd learn one style and not others cos surely its jus all the same, different ways of moving with the staff

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
woah this thread is kicking ass smile

i agree wink

ubblol

No seriously - i love spinny spinny stuff, i really do, but like t&b i get way more satisfction out of contact. Reason being i think is that i spent 2 solid years doing spinny spinny, in understand body movement and plane control..............

because of this learning process i believe its made my contact alot tighter than it could be - say if thats what i tried to learn first. smile

The state of staff today doesnt make me happy or sad, i mean it could do with a clean as its covered in black soot and perhpas the grip is coming a little loose but regardless of how i treat it or what i do with it, it will still be my staff wink

ubbangel

As for the last few pages ranting about contact - yeh because at the moment the peole posting in the staff moves section happen to be exploring contact for themselves............ i dont think that they are stopping any spinny spinny staffer posting here........ [censored] i mean start a new thread like, or do a search and find that most spinny spinny stuff has already been talked about biggrin

not taking into account stuff in simians head as his antispinny stuff is the shizzle......... but hey rather than write a post here complaining about it - start a new topic with some NEW spinny spinny stuff wink

As from what i can see the contact being talked about is groundbreaking stuff? confused

smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

Written by: coleman

cole. x

confused

would be wiggly...

define wiggly please - the term doesn't apply to poi so i'm not sure what it means...?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
people always need something to b*tch about

strugz - my mate seye met u at gnomelands, he also told me you've come up with the first full doubles contact move???

oh and the reason i love doing contact, cos i feel like such a jedi, but the jedi path is full of things that dont make u feel quite the same way lol

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simta

strugz - my mate seye met u at gnomelands, he also told me you've come up with the first full doubles contact move???

Yay i remember Seye - dont believe eveything he says - he was quite drunk wink its where i came up with continuos doubles pivots........... i wouldnt have the balls to say i come up with the 1st ever full doubles contact move....... but thanks anway ubbangel

As for the jedi you feel............... bah, puney jedi when you turn to the darkside you will feel so much better wink

biggrin

Page: ...