RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Here's a possibly silly question, but I was wondering.. are there any real reasons beach towels often are smooth on one side, and a bit coarser on the other? I very much prefer the coarser side.. the smooth side doesn't feel very absorbent.

Then again.. is the smooth side is for lying on at the beach? That would put the nice coarse side on the sand.. frown Hmm.. maybe the smooth side's bottom down..

Kerfuffling to me.

Any thoughts? Ta muchly.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
The course side tends to pick up loads of sand, maybe it's so you can put the smooth bit on the sand so it won't pick up too much and lie on the course side?

I say course. Fluffy really.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

kenpo23GOLD Member
6 posts

Posted:
wavehello i luv both sides...depends on what i'm in the mood for. i'd like to think that having two sides is just to make everyone happy in the long run....
but i suppose there is a real reason for it, i just don't know what it is...sorry... lolsign

Success it the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. –Churchill

Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me, and I will learn. –Lakota Proverb

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
I always wondered this, I'm glad I'm not alone hehe..I like the smooth side. But then if I'm soaked I use the scrunchy side because yeh like you said, it dries better.

hug me!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmmm i thought this thread would be about the germans and that nasty habbit of reserving sun loungers with beach towels ubblol

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Im pretty sure its a sand thing too.

Or maybe its to do with wicking water to the outside to help it dry quicker

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
I took a closer look today- the 'coarse' side has looped individual strands.. the smooth side doesn't.

The beach towel makes a terrible bath towel I reckon.. I never use the smooth side at all!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i thought the smooth side was so they can put nice pretty pictures on. I have a Finding Nemo beach towel, but you're right, its rubbish at drying you off.
I think its just so you can show off your lovely towel at the beach and doesnt have any real practical functions.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
thing with the sand theory is... if it's the smooth side that is meant to go on the sand why put the pretty pictures on it? because if like jo says, you want to show off your lovely towel, you are going to lie it down pretty side up, no? so you'd get sand all in the other side, which will hold it better because it's got the big loops....

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
Got it...

Two schools of thought on this one:

1:
 Written by:

One side is soft velour to pamper you, while the other is fully looped to offer optimal absorbency

2: Also the pretty pattern is generally on the velour side - this is because it is harder to put a pattern on the course looped side:
 Written by:

Most towels available from your imprinted sportswear distributor have a velour side and a terry side. The purpose of the velour side is to provide a smoother surface for printing. When printing on a terry towel, it is difficult for any printer, no matter what his equipment, to achieve a solid print. That's because the loops hold the ink on top of the towel. A velour towel allows the ink to penetrate deeper into the towel's fibers for more solid coverage.

I am sooooo bored. Had ya noticed?
Still off work with the whiplash. frown

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
I want two terry sides! frown

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
Yeah. The velour side just spreads the water about in my opinion.
But does it make you feel warmer when you're cold after a dip in the sea?
Whereas the terry side has optima drying power. But isn't snuggly warm.
My brother got me a dressing gown for my birthday years ago, it's yummy. The inside is terry, so dries you after a bath, but the outside is velour-sort of. So it feels like a snuggly teddy-bear. hug

Still bored..... redface

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?