Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > "Stands" - Half way between a stall and a release

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Hello all.

I don't often have much to offer by the way of new or interesting ideas, but hopefully this will set a few cogs turning smile

'Stands' as I have come to call them are the result of accidents discovered when messing with releases- I'm sure many have inadvertently done them, but I thought I'd try and push them as a 'trick' in their own right.

SO- the idea is that you would pull off a stand (in this version at least) by spinning 1 poi right handclockwise (BF plane). Usually I would release this under an outstretched left arm around which it would circle and them return to be caught on the right hand side by the right hand.

Standing the poi means a different approach to the release, letting go later and giving the (probably best counterweighted) handle a flick. If you spin the head under the opposite arm and to the point where the head is at about 10-11 o clock, gently contact catch it on the back of the left hand whilst releasing and flicking the handle.

If done correctly you get a lazy stalled poi, standing on the back of your hand, slowly rotating on to be caught or moved further.

I can get close to a nice affect with my right hand relasing, but so far I have yet to take the principle further (for example doing the same thing on the legs?)

Ideas?

EDITED_BY: Mr Chutney (1146051582)

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
What about if they're done BTB or BTH? Can we call them "One Night stands"? tongue

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
but what if it takes all night to get it to work? wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sporky

What about if they're done BTB or BTH? Can we call them "One Night stands"? tongue

btb should definetly be a one night stand... thats a quality name ubblol ubblol

one night arse stand should be possible then...

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
This sounds really interesting. But I'm not very good at seeing things from verbal descriptions (and I'm sure many people aren't), so would somebody who is very kind please make a clip of one? pretty please with bells on top? wink thanks biggrin

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sporky

nah. they're as safe as anything if you wear a hoodie. wink the stall point on the back of the neck turns out to be quite nice. esp for front entrances to opposite hand BTB exits and vice versa.

also, "double stands"? i wasn't kidding about the fishtailing as much as i thought -- if you're willing to do a bit of contact on the head (and turn/invert each rotation) you can tap the handle around twice (or more?) without moving the poi head around much. and it makes a figure 8 weave plane->buzzsaw plane and back. wink

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
so you can do a btb toss to a shoulder stand that feels remarkably similar to a halo...

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
nice, dut.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
A challenge for Mr Chutney..

Next time I see you, you have to show me a variation of [Old link] that involves standing the poi onto your head. We shall call it The Mohawk

tongue

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ooh, trick requests - i like this game smile

anybody up for doing a 'head stand shower'?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Or head stand cascade! biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Christ!

I go away for a couple of days and this thread is red hot.

I'm RUBBISH at stands, I really am, I just wanted to raise awareness of the concept and try and get a standardised (see what I did there) name into the vernacular smile

I have played a bit with variations on hand/ arm stands in light of this thread, buthead stands scare me what with having oddball bounce juggling balls in the heads and a large oversion to pain.

I love the idea of a stands shower though. Anti-stands could also look, wicked, though I haven't played with them yet biggrin

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pricklyleaf

This sounds really interesting. But I'm not very good at seeing things from verbal descriptions (and I'm sure many people aren't), so would somebody who is very kind please make a clip of one? pretty please with bells on top? wink thanks biggrin

Clip uploaded and in the gallery smile

Did I get it right Mr. C? smile

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Yep, thats the basic principle biggrin

Timing the release and controlling the handle will allow you to get more of a 'stand', ie the poi appearing to sit roughly vertical for a moment on top of your hand, but yes, thats pretty clode smile

Thanks for the vid biggrin

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
what can i say, its a great reason not to do work biggrin

though it seems to be easier to do on the same hand rather than on the other hand

[edit] the first same hand toss has the timing i think you're talking about
EDITED_BY: fireNice (1146811744)

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
 Written by: shen shui

nice, dut.

hehe. now maybe if i could actually get the crap to "stand" instead of just rotating the handle through the head stall. do the Brits do any wibbling of the poi heads? i was hoping someone would be able to do the fishtail thing cleaner than i've been getting it...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Dubalstar does fishtails and I've played quite a lot with wibbling the head end, I call half wibbles (from handle to head and visa versa) ibbles biggrin tee hee

Let's relight this forum ubblove

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i've been working on "Stand and Deliver" you do a head-stand from the side, and as its standing you catch the end and take it off the front (possibly with the other hand, still considering that one)

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Must go off and play with stands.

Ibbles are wicked, i love to Ibble to head catch and spin handle end for while then ibble back to normal.

And as far as wibbling goes, the brits do it all wink

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
I can get them to stand on my head on fire, with a hoodie. These are really cool, I kinda did them before, my buddy dave showed me a while ago. Propper video is coming as always.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

Page: