Forums > Technical Discussion > Diggers Brand Odourless Kerosene

Login/Join to Participate

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
Hi Guys,
Any of you Aussies tried this, I came across it in my local hardware store the other day and bought a 4L jug for $19.
Just tried a burn, pretty clean took a while to light with a 90 deg C Flash point

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:
Yep, use it regularly, if I am going to use kero at all I prefer it. .
Smells less terrible than the regular stuff eh!

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
but the anti odour additives in it cause it to be more toxic than regular stinky kerosene.

bummer frown

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
is that the stuff i buy from bunnings? hmmm cant remember brand name. i find that is does make my car less stinky when i forget and leave my staffs in there over-night - but has a slightly more intense kind of grease smoke/fumes when burnt.

anti odour additives being more toxic - Squarefish do you have any reference about that i can get some more information?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
90 degree flash point? That is very high.
Ksol used in a commercial 'firetwirling fuels' has a 38 degree flashpoint. I use d60 which is a 66 degrees. I have used d70 with a 74 degree falshpoint and did notice it was greasier.

So yes I can imagine that 90 degrees would be heavier again.

There's quite a few threads that state that about 'chemicals to make odourless are more toxic' but I've never seen any proof cited.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
Only done one burn with it so far
I had not seen it on the shelf before so thought I would try it. It is marketed for lamp and heater use (ie indoor) so I would guess it would not have toxic fumes(Unless you were using it for firebreathing which I have no interest in.
I was really surprised when I downloaded the MSDS and found a 90deg C flashpoint
Seemed less oily than the lamp oil I had been using.
But then the firewater I ordered from Juggleart came in the mail yesterday so I have that to try out now