Forums > Social Chat > Does anyone else in here have kids?

Login/Join to Participate

bri mCcallmember
34 posts

Posted:
Hello my name is Bri and I was Just wondering if anyone else in here had children. Especially three year old ramboncksios (spelled wrong) children who want to play with two pound poi. I am however getting him a set of day poi for his b-day. Anyway I hope I get some responces soon see ya.

:
idea:

AH,THE JOYS OF PARENTING!!!!!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Rambunctious? (sp) Thought I'd guess too.

My wonderful son Noah is 7 (almost 8) and he has been spinning off an on for two or more years now. If he actually took it up as a hobby, he would wipe the floor with me but thank god he hasn't really thought of it seriously yet!

There are several of us on here with children...and then again some of us are still children, mentally at least!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
howdy! another mother here, Michael 10 & Rory 7.

Rors is a natural twirler but has a complete lack of patience so doesn't play for very long.

Mike wants to learn staff, has one picked out he would like to buy & has broken my broomstick practicing!

I am definitely the biggest kid in the family!

We also have a new puppy, mojo, who just loves us playing with fire, he's completely mesmerised by it!

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
PlantGirlll, I didn't know that. Michael and Rory, huh? What is it about "Rory" and Australia? A doctor I know from Australia is named "Rory." In fact, all three "Rory"'s I know are Australian.

Michael (Mike) is a fine name if I do say so myself. A bit overused but a fine name nonetheless...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
You're right Mike, it is a fab name, he looked like Michael when he was born.

All the Rorys I have met have been real lads, & mine is no exception. Don't know about the Aussie thing though, my husband is Scottish & liked the celtic connection.

Speaking of Scottish, check out pipe band tenor drummers, they make the best twirlers!

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
A 5 year old Girl - Meghan

I made her some small poi, but she is only interested in swinging them round her head wildly.... not learning anything She has no fear of them tho!!

I don't know any Rory's

So much fire, so little body hair...

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
you have lucky kids, i can't imagine my parents with firechains.....

bri mCcallmember
34 posts

Posted:
thank you all for replying

My son Draven has ADHD so,nothing ever gets his attention. He is very wild and often gets really angry when things don't turn out his way. As the fact that I'm only 20 and don't really have that much patiance,it makes things difficult. When I started practicing poi at my friends house Draven was facinated with it. That day I had forgotten to give him his Resperadal(medication to calm him down)he was being a major BRAT!!!!! I was getting worried, he often times hurts himself or animals and other people when he gets like that.(not a good thing while you are company at someone elses house) I sometimes have to get him an hold him down while wrapping my arms and legs around him to keep him from hitting and kicking me. This is both mentally and phisically staining for both uf us, and embarrassing for me. Anyway when I started to play with the poi, he calmed down and watched me. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I thank the great spirit for bringing poi into our lives. It is compforting knowing that I have a tool besides drugs that works with my childs condition. LOL

Frazzlemember
105 posts

Posted:
I have a son,Ollie who will be 8 in March.He's really into poi and can't wait til he's old enough to use my fire chains! A friend of mine has a child with ADHD so I know how hard it must be for you - you deserve much admiration and respect!

Happiness is a journey,not a destination

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
NOt yet, but me give me a couple of years, as I love kids

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
All the rory's i know have been at least 50% Irish, up to 100%. All but one have been male.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
awww thats soooo kewl, i want kids, im the weirdest 17 year old in the world i just wana get married and have kids

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Hey Bri,

Good question, never thought to ask. I have a 2 and a half year old (Jaali) who seems to enjoy picking up my little fire staff and spinning it around though teetering on the edge of clubbing himself or others. I have a little 7 month old (Neo) who really just slobbers and chews (with his 2 little choppers)on poi so far.

It's hard when your kids behave in a way that you feel isn't appropriate in public. I get flustered sometimes - like when you're in the supermarket and they decide that they're going to SCREAM as loud as their lungs can muster. Full kudos to you for being young and doing your best to deal with an ADHD child (it isn't easy for me at 26 being a parent let alone 20!). Remember to try not to be embarrased, those who cast scornful looks your way aren't worth a pinch of shit. And those who know what's going on will understand - and if they don't, they're not worth it. Keep Draven busy

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
Good advice Bezerker! Parenting is sooooo hard when you have a child whose behavious is out of the range that most people can deal with, I know, I have one too.

One thing I have noticed though is that these kids tend to be the most amazingingly special little people when one takes the time to look beyond what are perceived as their flaws.

bri mCcallmember
34 posts

Posted:
You're right Draven is very special. He is loving and caring. Amazingly he seems to be showing physicic abilities already. I know it sounds weird,but here me out. We will be sitting at home and he will tell me that his aunt is sick. I shrugged this off the first couple of times,but low and behold when we would go to see her she would have a cold or a flu. Sometimes when I am thinking about something, maybe a question in my mind he will walk up to me tell me what I was thinking about and answer my question the best he can. He is very smart for his age and has the memory of an elephant. He can remember things that happened right after he was born in detail! Things that I have never talked about in front of him. I don't try to discourage him I figure if he has these natural talants that I should support him. Who knows what he could grow up and acomplish.Or how many people he could save if he could see something bad coming and warn people. I LOVE MY LITTLE DRAVEN!!!!!!!!

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
bri, you 2 sound like a really fab team!

Kevmember
83 posts

Posted:
I live with my girlfriend wh is already wanting kids.. hopefully I can hold her off for a couple more years but I guess we'll get there in the end

LOL just kidding, I love kids and will be overjoyed when we are in a position to have some of our own

- Honk if you love peace and quiet!

bri mCcallmember
34 posts

Posted:
Thank all of you for being so supportive of me. I don't find that from many people where I live.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I don't have kids, But I do live and Play with the 3 year old who lives with us!
Does that count?
Rachel is actually going to be 3 in march, (she tells me from behind)
We where just on a camping trip, in our living room, hunting wild (stuffed) Bears and Elmos.
Rachel needs to Go To Bed Now!!!
Bie Bie,

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I have a 14 year old daughter. She spins poi and staff with and without fire. She posts on this buletin board as SNOOPoi.

I am very proud of her

Are we nearly there yet?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Berzerker...Neo is 7mos already? I remember when he was a sparkle!

I became a single mother at 21, and still feeling very much like a child myself. My sister gave me the best advice...People will always come and go but my child will always be mine. This has gotten me through alot. Noah is JUST like me, so we butt heads more often than not. Patience, perserverence, and take time for yourself, truly...to scream, to cry, to laugh, to sigh....it helps maintain what little sanity I have!
Best of luck to all the lovely parents out there...

(And Thistle, you have much to be proud of, lovely one!)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK