Forums > Social Chat > Regarding Poll. What's Normal?

Login/Join to Participate

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
The current poll asks if you regard yourself as a normal person and I was wondering what different people's definition of 'normal' is.

For example. I think I am quite normal. I have a job, I am a mum, I live in a house and own a computer. Yes I spin and eat fire, have part of my body pierced and wear very baggy trousers but so do most of my friends. Hence I am normal.

So what's your definiton of normal? Discuss 'Normal'.

Are we nearly there yet?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ok I've typed 3 paragraphs and deleted them all cause THAT is a very very hard question to answer.

In answer to your question, I dunno.

[ 04. January 2003, 01:49: Message edited by: deepsoulsheep ]

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i'd edit that post deepsoul.. just a warning

Thistle would you call me normal? cos i damn well feel normal, and i think i look pretty normal too.

nigglebyleafmember
18 posts

Posted:
is normal maybe the same as average or something?. so therefore normal is an empty concept as it is probably impossible to have an average living thing as if someone bothered to take a survey of every componant and intricacy of every living thing on the entire planet it would take a gazillion years and then what would you find anyway. At school they taught us that it was bad to use the word 'nice' in writing as it didnt describe anything. They were lieing i guess people do sometimes!

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
normal means not ill like nor mal no malade marmalade

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
My guess here would be- can function in society. There are a lot of people I know from Tattooists to extremely pierced people who are normal, they just have very visable quarks.

I think the only abnormal people are those who have no flaws.

Name some famous person and I'll point out a flaw (and if I don't know who they are, I'll make one up! )

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
um osoma bin laden

PoiKingmember
23 posts

Posted:
I think normal is set by majority. An example would be if someone made a poll asking if you were normal. If majority answered "no" to being normal then the normal answer would be "no". So all the people who answered saying that they weren't normal are just being normal by answering that way.

I think now a days normal is TRYING to be not normal.

The only people who count are the people who care.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
nor·mal P Pronunciation Key (nôrml)
adj.

Conforming with, adhering to, or constituting a norm, standard, pattern, level, or type; typical: normal room temperature; one's normal weight; normal diplomatic relations.
Biology. Functioning or occurring in a natural way; lacking observable abnormalities or deficiencies.
Abbr. n or N Chemistry.

Designating a solution having one gram equivalent weight of solute per liter of solution.
Designating an aliphatic hydrocarbon having a straight and unbranched chain of carbon atoms.

Mathematics.

Being at right angles; perpendicular.
Perpendicular to the direction of a tangent line to a curve or a tangent plane to a surface.

Relating to or characterized by average intelligence or development.
Free from mental illness; sane.

n.

Something normal; the standard: scored close to the normal.
The usual or expected state, form, amount, or degree.

Correspondence to a norm.
An average.

Mathematics. A perpendicular, especially a perpendicular to a line tangent to a plane curve or to a plane tangent to a space curve.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
PK I would consider you normal, but less extraordinary people may argue the point with me. Now look what's happened, you've scared Deepsoulsheep into deleting the post and I never got to read it

Dictionary definition of normal :Conforming with or constituting an accepteded standard or norm; esp., corresponding to the average of a large group; natural; usual; regular.

Therfore, if there is a large group of an alternative type of people that is the accepted norm for that group. So you see I am normal

Poiking, I agree trying not be normal is becoming normal.

Are we nearly there yet?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Don't worry Thistle, the post says the same as before minus the first paragraph. I reckon PK was kidding but I edited it just so you'd wonder what it used to say.

Is that normal??

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by jim bombadil:
um osoma bin laden
has some sort of fixation on americans/the west. Obsessive/Compulsive leading to self destructive behaviour. Religous zelot/freak. Biggot. Racist-Hate munger.

that was too easy!

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
deepsoulsheep. I'm sorry I don't know what normal is that's why I'm asking

toneman = Internet terrorist, hijacker of threads

Are we nearly there yet?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, one thing is that everyone (almost everyone) has their little neuroses. Normal is a state of mind. Do you try to be "normal" or do you try to be "unusual?"

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Mike, to whom is your question directed?

Are we nearly there yet?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Thistle, I guess it's not directed at anyone in particular. Anyone is welcome to answer it. Have a go!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
"I'm not strange, everyone else is"

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I have had this discussion with soooo many people and have come to the conclusion that...there is no such thing as normal. Makes me happy

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I took the poll as are you an Average person?
The Average person is Materialistic, Which I am not, and works a 9-5 job, which I don't, and believes everything they see on TV, Which I definetly Don't!

So am I Normal/ Average?

No.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I look and to a certain extent act very normal, ie. people who consider themselves very alternative tend to look at me and go "ooo, she will be all conservative won't she". But when they encounter some of the stuff that goes on in my warped little head they tend to change their assessment.

A lot of people play the "not normal" card in a very "normal" way. They get all the trappings of alternative lifestyles, just to fit into a "not normal" crowd. They are so bound up in being "not normal" that they forget to be themselves.

As they get older they realise that there is no such thing as normal. And that a lot of the things they would consider conservative, family, marriage, etc, can be part of their lives without giving up the individual inside themselves.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Locced DBmember
17 posts

Posted:
ive thought over this topic for a while trying to think of what to say, cuz i sure as hell dont think im normal, but if you really think about it, "normal" is just an opinion, everyone has their own views of being normal or abnormal, there is nothing "set" as being normal, so really, normality is just a state of mind and not a human characteristic **looks over what has been written** (damn i really need to lay off the weed, but there is a point to my statement though)

[ 05. January 2003, 15:37: Message edited by: Locced DB ]

Where's My Beer?

Sweet Pixiemember
24 posts

Posted:
My view on this is that there is no such thing as 'normal'. Normality is a state of mind. Normality is nothing but a projection of what each individual deems to be 'ususal' or 'not strange'. What i think is normal and what others think to be normal can be completely different perceptions.
Take a mentally ill person for example, being a psychologist i am supposed to see their behavior as 'abnormal', but the thing is, that the person in question would see their behaviour as being totally normal (for them it is normal, they may not know any different).

That's my 2 cents worth

Till next time
Sweet Pixie

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched...they must be felt with the heart...

Locced DBmember
17 posts

Posted:
thats exactly what i just said but worded differently!! and you made it sound smarter than mine!! not fair

Where's My Beer?

Sweet Pixiemember
24 posts

Posted:
Locced DB- Sorry, didn't mean to step on anyone's toes...

Sweet Pixie

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched...they must be felt with the heart...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Rozi is so right. ( As always )

I've often scoffed at the people in my liberal neighborhood who try so hard to conform to their non-conformist ideals. It's just another uniform.

I do believe in the word NORMAL. I you categorize any culture, there will always be a majority population for any criteria. That would be normal.

As for myself. I'm comfortable with my normal self. I may be the most "normal" fire spinner out there. But I certainly embrace quite a range of people and interests. Perhaps more so than most "normal" people. Which always becomes a bit of a paradox for me.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Why care if you can be who you are and as unique as we come normal must not exist as mentioned several times before.

Normality is a concept. Created, bred, born in our minds into the box of the worlds collective thought. Whether you align yourself to the ideals and ideologies of society is your choice.
I could very well say that in my reality I dont really know what this word you are speaking of is... Normal?! Hmmmm....

I wish to live.
Question not and the questions as well as the answers will show within your path. If all is varied... every situation is abnormal by nature as well as being essentially and in detail different then how can we even claim the existence of a concept that we cannot grasp. It is only accepted and perpetuated as we believe it and continue to create it.

love and hugs,
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!