MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I hit an odd milestone today.

Today my new stethoscope came in the mail. This is my second.

I'd bet that 50% of doctors out there still have the same stethoscope that they had in medical school. My good friend, a physician of 25 years, has his FATHER'S 70 year-old stethoscope and swears that "they just don't make 'em like they used to!"

Now my stethoscope, when I was a third year medical student, had a rather unfortunate run-in with the spokes of my bike while I was coming home from work one day. It's still worked for a long time, but a few weeks ago I was listening to a baby and I felt the lungs were clear. My friend Caroline came along and said "woah! Crackles!"

I said, "I didn't hear any crackles, where are they?"

She pointed. "Here."

I placed my stethoscope and listened. Nothing. Just air moving in and out. I shook my head.

She put her stethoscope there and then put its earpieces around my ears. "Listen," she said.

And I heard very LOUD crackles.

Time to get a new stethoscope!

And may THIS one (with my name monogramed on it) will hopefully last me my career.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
pah not if you worked in this country us pesky nurses have a habit of pinching the doctors stethoscopes (te he ) we use them more than they do any hoo and they earn more than us we generally give them back at the end of there rotation with us smile rotation lol (only it they ask nicely though

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
So the monogram says MLG then?

hug

although is 3 letters a monogram? Surely that would be a triogram....

confused
EDITED_BY: Cantus (1142913756)

Meh

boobookittyfudgeGOLD Member
sneaky little kitty
251 posts

Posted:
congrats. and good luck. maybe you should keep it in a case so it doesn't meet an untimely spoke related incident. biggrin

you want the truth? you can't handle the truth!

mmmmm...cheesecake

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I think you should give it to me so I can ebay it when you're famous... erm I mean so that i can keep it forever in a special place next to my heart ubblove
biggrin

Meh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
How do stethoscopes break? Isn't it just a tube connecting a horn and an earpiece? Or is it the circly side?

Maybe your rats chewed on it. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

buzzingtalkMember
152 posts

Posted:
Congrats on your new iwonttrytospellit. It sounds really fun biggrin though I am sure its not as fun as I think it is!!
May the new stethescope help you heal many people!! Have you given her/him a name??

Kiss me now, You're beatiful, For these days are truly the last.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
Congratulations... I think..

@Buzz: my siser Stefanie, who's a second year nursing student has a pink stethoscope which she calls her Stefascope...

Don't know if that counts as a name, but it's pretty funny... (well, i think so anyways, it might only work if you know how werid she is.)

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie