Forums > Videos > teaser for the teaser

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well i went ahead and did it. i'm pretty happy with the first round, but there were lots of technical details to overcome... IOW there's more shoots to come.

currently in the compression phase. all who've offered to host vids for me, please get ready!!

stay tuned for a vid within the week.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
This is why people like Glass don't release videos. Which really disappoints me. People expect so much of them, and hold them in such high esteem and believe that they really do have jedi mind powers, that when they get a video, they gladly rip it to bits. Why? These brilliant spinners/jugglers are people too, you know?

I even get it too. When I'm out contact juggling, people make comments like: he's only showing off. This annoys me so much. If you think I'm just 'showing off' I'll stop altogether, shall I? Leave my juggling to the confines and secrecy of my own bedroom, shall I?

Arashi - I thought it was a really cool Vid. I don't care that you think it's not your best etc etc. tongue I was astonished by a lot of that, and wish that one day my spinning reaches that same level. smile

I would like to see you do some sick body waves and robotics and such in there too!! I reckon you could do them really well... If you can't already, you should learn to Pop!! ubblol

More please!!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Wow, I was simply hoping to see more of what poi spun by an accomplished middle eastern dancer looked like and didn't really get enough of it. There's the reason for my disappointment. It has nothing to do with tearing down poi gods.

I bought into the four days of hype before the video was released, sure, there was obvious humility in the description of what was coming, but Hey, this is Arashi, a spinner who takes his spinning seriously and just might put out something I could use as a tutorial to pick up some ideas on how to better move with my poi.

I don't think those are unreasonable expectations,,,are they?

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Sorry Stout!

I did not actually mean to say ( though I kinda did! redface ) that absolutely everyone was setting up poi gods and tearing them down, and certainly not that you were specifically! Just something I wanted to think about in general; that interesting relationship between what we expect to see, and then how we feel about what we actually do see( relativity, and subjective response) ... and how little it really has to do with the external objective object, in this case, a video.

Wow, that reads as gobble-dy- gook!

biggrin maybe Rev said it better in his opening bit...

In my view, pretty much all expectations are unreasonable!

wink

Now I am hijacking the thread, so I'll leave it at that!

smiles, and love your way

PS come over and visit will you, help me work on MY video! ubblol

hug

Andrea

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I won't release anything to the public anymore unless it is what i consider TOP quality

Thats asking for trouble if you ask me. Its one thing for people to dis a vid you dont really care about, but what then if they were to dis something you truly feel is the best you can do? Thats when you end up looking like the contestant on American Idol that thinks they're god's gift to vocalism only to get a "That was absolutely horrific." from Simon Cowel.

Plus, in my experience, youll NEVER think a vid is top quality cuz you are your toughest critic.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Wow...I think it's kinda crazy what this little vid has brought out! At this point this may be irrelevant and maybe no-one cares, but speaking as someone who posted a, shall we say, less than critical response to the video, I just want to say that a) I was clear this was a draft and though some of the spinning wasn't quite as tight as I've seen in other vids, I wasn't expecting it to be since Arashi was very clear from the get-go what the deal was. There didn't seem to be any real need to comment on that since it seemed like, and still seems like, Arashi well understands where the shortcomings are in that regard. And b) what impressed me was that even though this was a first draft, I liked the ideas expressed in terms of presentation. There's really an effort here to play with lighting, effects, costume and overall presentation that is what I've always found lacking in most vids posted. I'd argue that these aspects are as important to the overall development of this artform as technical virtuosity. So that's where my props were coming from. To me, this draft video was less about "look what I can do," and more along the lines of, "consider what can be done."

It was posted as a teaser and in that regard it worked.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
wow what a great bunch of dialogue.

unfortunately i'm reeeeelly happy with the shoot tonight bounce

Written by:

I would like to see you do some sick body waves and robotics and such in there too!! I reckon you could do them really well... If you can't already, you should learn to Pop!!

oooooooohhhhh snap just you wait.

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hug

I like your spinning wink

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: ICoN

Plus, in my experience, youll NEVER think a vid is top quality cuz you are your toughest critic.

you know there's some hardcore truth right there.. I don't want to drail this topic, so maybe if people want to discuss this afterwards we could move to a new thread, but, given that we are never satisfied with our own product.. Doesnt that mean all this stuff about expectations too high applies more so to ourselves than anything else? I mean, to paraphrase, if we aren't happy with some of our top spinning, who the hell do we think we are?

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Tease!

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
redface

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
oh, that wasn't for you rev!
ubblol
but it does apply, have you started that thread yet?
*be prepared for it to go all buddhist on ya...
wink

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
for you andrea, and for arashi (so that I don't hijack his thread)

[Old link]

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

hug

I like your spinning

ditto

Thanks for posting Mister Arashi.

You are a beautiful artist, and you can move your body in strange ways bounce

Glad the video shoot went well hug

biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
thanks to everyone who gave me their input!!! it was helpful during the shoot to know what worked.

i'm trying to sort through all this footage to find the stuff that will give everybody what they liked and asked for. osrry i haven't responded to all the emails and the hugs :hugs: and just responded to all the drama but you all know i ubblove yuz. i'm slammed busy right now prepping for australia and doing shows and doing construction but i did feel i needed to defend my honor here rolleyes

right now i'm looking at too much footage that i like and i think i've got a hard night ahead of me. we edit and upload on thursday. i'll put out a vid of pretty dancy stuff with some purely tech atomic moves, and some cool belly dancing with the light saber, and i'll have LOTS of 3D spinning, double sabers, and other cool footage left over for the spherc dvd. sorry if you're wanting the helix/conicals right away but there's only so much i can squeeze into the new song.

confused
sage is NOT on this vid, but there will be footage of her around very soon.

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
still cant look at you and not think 'it do do dunnit...' and i thought the vid was wicked... could have used some creative facial expressions tho ubbloco and see you soon..ish... when are you here?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
wicked video - wicked to see you dude, some of those video effects rocked, the turning atomics were solid and the costume and lighting... eek ubblove

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
As previously stated its all about expectations. If I or anyone else unknown posted a video we'd get the usual pleasent praise, maybe a few pointers. Even if it was rubbish technically speaking.

But you get...other...responses. Seems theres a downside to being good wink

As long as you had fun spinning and making the videos then there real purpose has been achieved.

Of course now I want a lightsaber.
EDITED_BY: Kieron (1142519633)

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kieron

If I or anyone else unknown posted a video we'd get the usual pleasent praise, maybe a few pointers.

maybe a few pointers and a post or two.. but in the time that I've been here, if you don't wow someone a bit with your vid.. and your unknown.. you don't really get -any- posts.. 5000 views.. 3 posts..

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rev

maybe a few pointers and a post or two.. but in the time that I've been here, if you don't wow someone a bit with your vid.. and your unknown.. you don't really get -any- posts.. 5000 views.. 3 posts..

If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a new topic.

* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Why I don't post on video threads of unknowns:

If it's poi, I don't watch it.

"Hi, your video shows that you haven't practiced enough to make a video. Please go away and learn how to spin, then after that length of time, find an amateur film maker and get them to film and edit it."

My post won't build goodwill. Not unless that person has like: ZERO ego. Thou my posts would probably be a little better if I had zero ego. Fair? Perhaps, beneficial, maybe. Goodwill, almost definately not.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
yeah you guys are making some keen insights...

gotta say, if you see me at a spin reluctant to light up it's usu. because of the expectations hanging over my head and my knowledge that the spin wouldn't be "inspiring" or whatevvv. there's times when my spinning is terrible, no matter how long i've been at this. usu. when my injuries are flairing and i haven't had time to do stretching etc.

luckily i'm getting past giving a shizzle, fer rizzle, this vid is proof biggrin
enjoy it while you can in a few hours old and busted will be gone in lieu of the new jimpsin.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I want to say that my last comment may have been slightly off.. I know there are lots of video threads, that like mcp, I just don't look at.. poi or not..

I think it still rings mostly true.. in the sense that even most that look, don't post.. and I think the people that don't wow, should porbably get more comments.. insights that help them improve and what not..

I should probably take my own advice.. but even when I'm nice, people sometimes take it wrong, and its probably just better for both sides that I not take that chance.. wink

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
personally i dont watch videos of ppl i dont know/have heard of simply because ive seen so many and very few impress me anymore. i dont make videos anymore simply because its a huge amount of effort and time and i dont get the constructive feedback im looking for *shrugs*

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: arashi

gotta say, if you see me at a spin reluctant to light up it's usu. because of the expectations hanging over my head and my knowledge that the spin wouldn't be "inspiring" or whatevvv. there's times when my spinning is terrible, no matter how long i've been at this. usu. when my injuries are flairing and i haven't had time to do stretching etc.

And yet you seen to consistantly disappoint in areas outside of fire performing and nothing stops you from continuing there.

wink wink wink

hug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ben-ja-men

personally i dont watch videos of ppl i dont know/have heard of simply because ive seen so many and very few impress me anymore. i dont make videos anymore simply because its a huge amount of effort and time and i dont get the constructive feedback im looking for *shrugs*

I know what you mean...

I only download videos if I know the person or their spinning ability, or if someone else recommends it to me...

As for the critique part... Make a vid and upload it anyway. I haven't seen any new Ben-Ja-Men footage for ages now... you could always get a Lexy in your vid too... ubbangel (no, not like that!! spank )

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ben-ja-men

ben, you made a video purely of tricks that was about thirty seconds long, and you expected everybody to critique your movement / style or like flow? There wasn't enough time in the vid to see any, even if it was an uncut spin! Never mind that you purely showed tricks. sorry dude. hug

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Arashi have you snuck the new version up instead of the dreaft?

Smake charmer bellydancer....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Page: ...