Forums > Social Chat > Anyone into Crossbows?

Login/Join to Participate

ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Hey, I just bought myself a crossbow (should arrive in a couple of days) It's a 80lb self cocking pistol crossbow. Does anyone know the distance I get get with it? I know a 80 lb crossbow is powerful enough to go straight through a 1cm thick piece of alloy when standing 20 yards away. But anyone got any idea of actual distance. I've searched the internet feverishly for the past hour and a half but still no luck.

This is a link for the crossbow incase anyone is interested: Crossbow

It's the top crossbow

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I saw one of these in a shop locally for £30. I want it!! biggrin Heh. That said, I think it was 60lb rather than 80. Also, are dartboards a viable target for pistol crossbows? It's either that or I'm going to have to find a real target from somewhere... rolleyes

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Why buy one of those?

They look useful for one thing only, and that's killing...:(

I would've thought archery type use would be more skilled and fun with a proper bow...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Thumperabbit

Hey, I just bought myself a crossbow (should arrive in a couple of days) It's a 80lb self cocking pistol crossbow. Does anyone know the distance I get get with it? I know a 80 lb crossbow is powerful enough to go straight through a 1cm thick piece of alloy when standing 20 yards away. But anyone got any idea of actual distance. I've searched the internet feverishly for the past hour and a half but still no luck.

This is a link for the crossbow incase anyone is interested: Crossbow

It's the top crossbow

I think you looking at a range upwards of 150-180 yards.

as for a dart board for a target i wouldn't recomend it as there is too much metal on a dart board. if you can get a straw bail from a pet shop i would. biggrin

278 posts

Posted:
I wanted to get a bow, but i can't afford the cost of a mildly decent one. Besides I am majorly paranoid, i believe that "Dawn of the dead" and "28 Days later" will come true one day. That or there will be perminant social riots perminantly within 10 years. So this makes me feel that little bit safer. Reason why i'm collecting a small arsonal of swords and ranged weapons.

Oh and the dartboard i have doesn't have the metal lining on it. It's just a cork board which i'll make slightly stronger by getting a back board on it.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

7,193 posts

Posted:
i would still suggest a bail of straw or hey as it's marginally thicker and a bit more robust than any dart board.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
What bolts do you have? I've only ever used a 250lb one with half inch wooded bolts. They would go about 150 yards wen shot at 45 degrees, but it's hard to hit anything like that. You really want to find the blank point - this is where the term 'point blank' comes from. When a bolt is shot it will rase above the leval of the bow in an arc, then it will lower until it hits something. the point where it is the same height as the bow is the blank point.

After that, you will have to get to know the bow, I'd say you could hit something about 50 yards away quite well.

Let us know when you get it! Don't use cardboard as it will rip the flights off - you'd be best off going to a archery suppliers and getting a bound straw 'boss'. A bail might do, but I think the bolds will get lost within it.

If you can't find a boss, get some turf and make a small mound out of it. You must not have any stones in it at all! they will shatter your bolds, but it does work well if you take them out.

I have been shooting with Engligh long bows, cross bows and stown bows for over 10 years. Please remember that whatever you do it is very very dangerous. Never break the saftey rules; Don't point it at anyone ever - loaded or not, don't shoot when someone is a head of the line and don't let anyone else use it without tuition from you - and only teach when you're good enough to do it!

Sorry for the slight rant, but I have see things go wrong too often for my not to say it - I'd rather you think I'm a bit up tight than have you (or the person you hit!) get hurt.

Play safe and have fun!

PS, have a look at https://www.todsstuff.co.uk/
- it's the site of a friend of mine, the one who made the 250lb cross bow biggrin

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Ravehead has the right Idea.

However, Recovering your bolts could be like looking for a needle in a haystack...

That's your reason for collecting weapons?! Oh dear...

EDIT: just seen Sym's post... Even better! A man that knows what he's doing!!
EDITED_BY: Leaning_Towards_Corruption (1141051594)

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
This is what i'm talking about:
Non-Https Image Link

7,193 posts

Posted:
i've dabbled with archery for a few years, nothing serious. i was into rifle shooting for a while and was on the county team (all be it for one weekendubblol)

weapons i've fired, handled, stripped and cleaned are :-

L98-A1 ( the kiddy version of the british armys SA80)

SA80

L.S.W. ( the support version of the SA80)

the bren gun

enfield 303

various shot guns ( the "jackhammer" is my favorite, it's a 12 guage 12 round combat shot gun)

various hand guns (one day i hope to fire a 357 magnum)

unfortunatly...............NEVER come accross a sten gun (it's a bugger to clean wink )

as for bows............hmmmmm....... the typical begginers bow on archery open days and a friend of mine has a 120Lb compound bow (i think thats what it is..i'm more into guns)

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
So you like to clean things, if I paint a menecing pictue on our dishes will you come over and do those? Taa very much smile

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

7,193 posts

Posted:
yeah with a tactical nuke warhead wink

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
old phone books (soft cover, lots of really thin pages) worked well when i was doing archery. I think they had them stacked on top of each other, with the spine facing the same direction as the line.

Memory's a little fuzzy, though, it's been about 3 years and it was only for about a week.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

SigstaSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
my grandpa made me one for my birthday... maby moons ago tongue but alas, my shot with it was horrible, and no matter how much i practiced i still sucked hardcore, that leading to me not touching the damd thing for 4 years now tongue

Good better best,
Never let it rest,
Until your good be better,
And your better best!!!!

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
I thought you needed a licence for crossbows in the UK. I never knew you could buy them over the counter.

I used to do archery, and got quite good at it (before one disasterous day when someone trod on my arrows when I was very poor), but at least with a recurve or a compound, there's skill involved. I really can't see the point in crossbows.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

278 posts

Posted:
My card details we refused, no crossbow for me frown but instead I found this half decent bow in E-bay, yeah it look's kinda a noobish but anyway Clickiness

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Thats realy not worth it...25lb is a joke.

You should invenst in a good bow, I wouldn't pay less than £60 for a bow, and then the arrows are about £3 each. But then I do use traditional equipment

278 posts

Posted:
I won't turn my nose up on the bow just yet. This will be the first time i've picked up a bow. So even if it's crap I can practise the basics. What kind of FPS can I get with 25lb?

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
I have a 150lb. crossbow, and the only bolts I had were lightweights, for target shooting. But they went a good 150 yards. I imagine sturdier ones would reach well over 200. I'm actually in the process of selling off my archery equipment, as I have no place to shoot it anymore. (Darned apartment rules...)

The only real use for them in hunting. I knew some bowhunters who went out with a disabled man. He had only 1 hand, but he could use the crossbow quite well.

I wouldn't use a crossbow for self-defense, it's a bit awkward for that. And I don't worry so much about social riots anymore, Tasers are legal here in Virginia biggrin

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i'm fairly certain crossbows are illegal in australia, fairly certain

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

drewjitsuBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
the art of shooting is great fun! I'm no lee harvey oswald, but I like to think that I have decent aim.

25 lbs really is kids stuff. I would say start at least on 35-45 just so you wont have to buy another one in the near future. but even that may be too low...i don't know your strength. you could also look into a take-down recurve and just buy new limbs when you need a tighter draw. I can draw my 65lb recurve with relative ease and I'm just a regular 5'9" 160 dude.

there are also compound bows, but those are for cheaters smile i've never really been into compunds or crossbows as I consider them unsightly and geared for game hunting, which I don't like. but they do look pretty scary and lethal if thats what youre going for.

be sure to buy some floo-floos to practice your volley. pumpkins are one of my favorite targets. also, if you have enough space, helium balloons are loads of fun.

I love shooting handguns, too. But it seems the general public is a little more averse to that than shooting bows, so I don't talk about it as much. But it's soooo fuN@!

ravehead - I own a .357. it's like whoa! but recently I bought a desert eagle and that one is like WHOA HOLY [censored]!!!! sux i can't bring it home to cali.

my arsenal:
martin mamba recurve
bob lee takedown recurve
sig sauer P228 9mm
sig sauer P229R .357 SIG
desert eagle Mark XIX .50AE