Forums > Social Chat > What do you do for exercise?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So we're all pretty active people, but I'm wondering if people here get regular exercise (outside of spinning, of course), and what you do for it.

As was mentioned in Pele's "Masochistic Hobbies" thread, I'm a swimmer. I was a competitive swimmer through high school and then, once I got to college, I swore I'd never touch water again (spending 5 1/2 hours a day in the water with morning practice at 6:30 AM will do that to you).

Well, come my Senior year of college, I had a good look in the mirror and realized "geez, I'm fat." So I started swimming again at the school's rec pool. Well, turns out that Stanford hosts a Masters Swimming team, which I joined. It's a lot more fun than high school because I only spend an hour and a half in the water every day and because I want to go. There isn't the pressure there was when I competed in school.

So five days a week (Monday-Friday) I do 360 crunches, 120 push-ups, and I swim an hour and a half, which will get me anywhere between 4 and 5 kilometers, depending on the nature of the workout (distance, stroke, aerobic, anaerobic threshold, etc.).

Since my "I'm fat" realization, I've lost 42 pounds and now weigh less than I did in high school. The side-benefit is that I'm also not afraid to take my shirt off in public anymore.

Oh, and I pretty much get to eat whatever I want, (I'm a serious choclaholic).

What about the rest of you? Do you exercise? What do you do to stay in shape?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I am seriously undertaking Capoeira with a view to developing a sneaky, low style.
Three times a week for the last few months i practice hard at a new escola in Melbourne.
I haven't had my Batiztado yet, so for now i am without rank cord. my Capoeira name is 'Olea de Gato' and i will be holding a Capoeira workshop at a hippy festival in a fortnight! next year I'll be part of a public demonstration at a place in melbourne called 'federation square'
Oh yeah and i'm a total show off with acrobatics :shrugs:
and i have awful portugese accent/singing ability! I can play the beriumbau well thou!

and yes:
Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!

i met all these mad capoeiristas in the Roda at the Outback eclipse festival - to play against people representing so amny schools from aropund australia and the world was an invaluable experience! a few were quite accomplished firefanatix too!

also:
Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!Capoeira!

my friends must be getting sick of me explaining that it is a 400 year old Brazillian martial-...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

6,978 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Zum zum zum! Capoeira mata um!

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Dance.... I love to dance.... I think that is was keeps me fit... (apart from the obvious with fire twirling) when ever i hear a drum beat i'mjust drawn to it and a compultion to dance just takes over my body...

I've done a bit of African Dance in classes... it's great! SO energetic! and belly dance... belly dance just makes your body melt into movement...

I'm not much of a jogger or anything... I tend to like my exersize to have some sort of meaning... why moving your body to music has meaning I just don't know... but it feels good...

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I used to do so much more than now - a couple of years back, at uni, I was playing badminton 4 times a week (2/2.5 hour sessions), squash twice a week (2.5 hour sessions), trampolining twice a week and cycling into uni and back every day, which was a 20 mile round trip. It made tuesdays quite exhausting - cycle into uni, two hours of badminton, two and a half of squash, cycle home. That was about 6 hours of exercise in one day . If you had my housemates then, you would have understood me not wanting to be at home, though
I started going to the gym about a year and a half ago, and still go 3/4 times a week, but since leaving uni, I've been very lazy and haven't found anyone to play squash/badminton with. And I don't cycle much anymore, since I destroyed my knee cycling home from uni (coventry to portsmouth, via lands end - don't ask)

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by tadpole:
My God, all these fit, healthy people!!!
My idea of a full body workout is to drink standing up, rather than slouching on a couch.

Saying that, I manage to keep fit by running up bills and avoiding my boss at work, which is a full time job.

Yeah, serously. Anyone who doesn't think drinking isn't a workout is going about it completely wrong...

But for my workout I run through my old staff forms with a 6 foot peice of solid steel, or I spend a day at work moving literally tons of steel from machine to machine.

My favorite workout would have to be tai chi or chi kung, which I guess isn't what you would think of as your typical workout, but when you do it right it really works muscles you didn't even know you had, plus it gets your chi moving in ways you didn't even know were possible untill you start doing the shit...

Jesus helps me trick people.

reckless girlmember
10 posts

Posted:
SickpuPpy i second that on the tai chi/ chi kung. but i have only really done it when on retreat, don't know where to go in the *real world*. do you do it alone or in a group or what?

well excuse me i'm only human...

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I generally do it alone, when I'm not feeling quite on top of my game. It gets me feeling more James Bond again. There is, however, something to be said for the group energy dynamic. I find I get some amazing results in general energy cultivation, be it tai chi or meditation, when I am doing it with a group.

Jesus helps me trick people.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Damn Bender! You can do that! All I do is Ski down hills!
I also like to Hike, Mountain Bike, Water Ski, River Board, Frizby Golf, and spinn Poi/ Staff.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Kez-Schmezmember
30 posts

Posted:
I would rather die than do excercise

queen of wandsmember
127 posts

Posted:
The only way I exercise is if its fun! No gym for me...

Ive started hatha yoga which is lovely and makes your muscles feel so toned without getting puffed out. Its also helped my back pain as a bonus.

Otherwise, firetwirling, strolling aimlessly around the city, running for the train, playing with my puppy, dancing for hours to breaks... mmmm....

I'm not vegetarian, but currently I'm off my chops!

6,978 posts

Posted:
there is another type of exercise that gets my abs in a workout for firetwirling, but seriously, i dun wanna turn this into yet another ice-cream thread.
/realises what he's done and flees in a panic...

queen of wandsmember
127 posts

Posted:
Especially with all the festive brandy custard and whipped cream floating about...

I'm not vegetarian, but currently I'm off my chops!

Page: