Page:
RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking about this a bunch today. I know some people on this site concentrate on learning all they can about a certain discipline i.e. contact poi, hyperloops/airwraps, isolations, throws, etc.

Do some of you out there just concentrate on one family of moves to try and get as far as you can in that direction, or do you learn a little bit of everything? If you mainly concentrate on one thing, what is is that you mainly work on?

I learn a little bit of everything myself. By learning a little bit of everything, as time goes on I figure I'll eventually learn alot of everything. ubblol Plus to me figuring out one pattern helps with learning a whole bunch of others, even if it might seem like they are related at all.

Peace, Love, Circles

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I too am a 'learn a bit of everything' person. That way, I find I learn things quicker, because my mind isn't getting frustrated on just the one thing, but has several things to ponder...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I've always leared a bit of everything.. but.. I dont' learn everything..

its what bits you pick that make ALL the difference.. that way you don't have to..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
My focus is really about performing (for myself more than anything). Getting things smooth, and being able to gracefully transition between moves. I'm not really bothered about things like contact and airwraps etc., although I may get into throws and isolations. I also like fire, and some of the really techincal stuff just gets a bit lost in fire, as you need to see the person too. That, and the technical stuff only really impresses those who know poi already, and I'm not into that sort of p!ssing contest.

So, in a nutshell, my two main focusses are grace, and not hitting myself in the nadgers

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'm a learn a little of almost everything kinda guy, however there are some aspects of poi I'm outright ignoring, for now.

Usually I'll see something on a video, or get shown somthing, so I'll practice it as a stand alone move, and if I like it, I'll work out a way to transition into it, and out of it.

Mostly I'm interested in getting things smooth, making big patterns e.g. flowers, and contrasting them with small patterns e.g. buzzsaw. Sort of a drawing circles in the air approach.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: ducky2108

So, in a nutshell, my two main focusses are grace, and not hitting myself in the nadgers

Nicely summed up, two very important goals biggrin

I kind of go for a bit of everything, I'm not really keen on some of the hyper-technical stuff but I'll happily learn other bits and pieces from all over the place.
It's the same with poi in general - I find I can't spin poi for very long before picking up something different and having a play. I tend to bounce around between toys very quickly.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rev

I've always leared a bit of everything.. but.. I dont' learn everything..

I've always tried a bit of everything but learned nothing.

wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
I try many things, and my focus now is speed and getting the good ol wick closer to my body to increase speed.

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
rah. great thread clap

i try not to get stuck on one thing. funny tho this uberteaching: it has meant delving really deep into the understanding of some new stuff that no-one else is playing with much: much like matt and his wibbling: how many other double wibblers dou you see...? anyway. it also creates an element of others thinking that that is what i focus on, cause i leave the flow/circles/inversions/spin workshops to others when actually i'm all about them too...

anyway. i also try to not just keep to poi, actually. it makes me much more able to love poi and not get bored of it. but its one of about 8 things that get my time... though now i've started to wibble i think it might get a bit more tongue

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I go through phases- I definitely try and be a bit of everything kinda guy, but I do tend to get stuck on a set or style of spinning (tangles, long arm etc) and spend more time on those than other things. (the last conscious choice was on 'flow' though, so thats not really that helpful smile)

offtopic Bluecat is wibbling now? Bugger, I thought I had something he couldn't do tongue

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I started messing about with cj at the start of last week, and as my focus was on that and not poi, I nailed a poi move i've been trying to get for ages lol

Also, I find if you give yourself a break, and just try to visualise what you're doing instead, it will come to you quicker.

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
bit of everything.. but I tend to find a move I really like the feel of and explore that a bit, then try and integrate it a bit so I often end up going technical/footwork/flow in a cycle to try and make the moves feel a more cohesive part of any spin I have. And then every so often I'll attempt to learn a new 'silly' move, for amusement value and potential heckling biggrin

oh and pendulums, always lots of pendulums, as I swear by them for helping me keep my planes in check
EDITED_BY: LazyAngel (1139833905)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I don't concentrate on poi all the time anymore. I bounce back between poi, juggling, and staff. Well not so much staff right now because tis hard to spin staff in your bedroom.

Peace, Love, Circles

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
i'm as weak as jack of all trades....
that's my goal!

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
I've been neglecting my poi very badly, so this was a great thread to remind me of the motivation, focus, etc. Thanks!

I tend to obsess on a move, try to learn that before moving on to something else, but found that tends to lead to massive frustration and lack of learning anything, so I try to branch out and have a few things I'm working on. And then once I've learned a move, then of course, I've got to learn the transitions to actually be able to use it.

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
hehe.. it's nice to see that so many people focus on flow and transitions. at the end of the day that's where you get your nice ideas from and what makes your poi look good whatever kind of moves you learn. it's also good to see rob's started wibblin after hanging round matt a lot.. ubblol

for me throws/wibbles, inversions and hyperloops are families of move i work on slowly and a bit seperately before adding the ones i can do to the rest of my spinning once i can fit them into the flow. it is really nice to just get into one of them for a whole spin though, usually when no-one's really watching and you can risk being silly for the sake of it... i had loadsa fun with different inversions yesterday! i worked out a turning version of the wrong weave (trailing poi comes inside as you move across your body) which felt great and looked wierd to me but apparently looks just like a weave to someone watching it on fire... biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
I guess my style concentrates heavily on turning ablility, body movement, wraps, and string manipulation with glowsticks. I'm trying to work more on flow and transitions lately though.

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
wicked thread rovo smile

from the very start, i focused on a reduction in unecessary body movement - i didn't like a lot of what i saw and considered a lot spinning to be a bit 'flouncy' ubblol i think that means 'containing movements that were not required'.

in 2002/03 i got really involved with the 'what is possible poi' side of things and spent lots of time working out stuff and chatting to people on hop about it smile

it pushed me towards a definite style - clear, deliberate movements, with stable body positions, and (at least the illusion of) a high level of control.

of course, as soon as i was happy with how i looked when i was spinning, people started to say that i'm just another londoner that can't dance wink

my focus has evolved over the years through meeting and talking to other spinners/jugglers/friends and i think my general aim now can just be summed up with the word 'precision'.

i gradually gravitated towards looking to refine and make what i can do with a prop 100% consistent - so that it looks the same every time i do it, looks the same as the way i see it to in my head and gives me the confidence to know that it will work every time.

this seems to be a definite way to ensure that i never run out of things to learn, since about 90% of the things i can do are not yet at a level that i am happy with rolleyes

as for what i'm working on, i pick poi up maybe a few times every couple of months and when i do i am *still* trying to learn to spin inside-out (i.e. antispining everything).

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
My current focus is being able to do everything in every direction. For example being able to do stalls with my left hand absolutely every way (fwd/rev, over/under-arm, at the sides etc etc), butterfly hyperloops in every direction and every entry and so on. Which isn't so much flow, but I already flow reasonably well when I can do a move, so this is just to open up more possibilities.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
but that involves poi, Mr. X... when did that happen? wink

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
SpiralX I actually have been working on the same thing for the past couple days. My left hand is retarded at vertical stalls and stalls at the top arc of the circle. I still can't do butterfly hyperloops but thats not a priority for me at the moment.

Cole- Thats an interesting way to look at spinning and I bet it looks sweet. I know I don't always look in control when I'm spinning.

The reason why Nick's spinning is so amazing IMO is that his body is perfectly under control besides all the great poi spinning. It makes everything look so graceful.

Peace, Love, Circles

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rev

but that involves poi, Mr. X... when did that happen? wink

Heh, I'm spinning a bit at the moment smile

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
awesome... smile

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

My current focus is being able to do everything in every direction. For example being able to do stalls with my left hand absolutely every way (fwd/rev, over/under-arm, at the sides etc etc), butterfly hyperloops in every direction and every entry and so on. Which isn't so much flow, but I already flow reasonably well when I can do a move, so this is just to open up more possibilities.

that's awesome. i've seen recent vids lately of people i look up to here who still look to do 90% of their stuff in the same direction, seemingly without realizing it. even if they turn all around with it, it always enters and exits the same direction. i dunno. just a pet peeve. i got somewhat lucky and put down poi for about 4 months once and somehow when i picked them back up my right hand was as shitty as my left! it made learning new stuff evenly constantly easier, even if it takes longer.

my focus for the last 6+ months (seriously diluted by infinite sub-focii and non-poi focii) has been butterfly tangling, specifically inside and turning, though i'm feeling a swing back outside lately now that i've gotten a better grasp of the inside/outside transitions and WW threading. and i wrap a lot.

-- dut

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
Written by: duballstar

for me throws/wibbles, inversions and hyperloops are families of move i work on

smile same..

Written by: coleman

a definite style - clear, deliberate movements, with stable body positions, and (at least the illusion of) a high level of control, and my general aim now can just be summed up with the word 'precision'.

smile same..

smile

what fun..!

i've been playing around with buzzsaw hyperloops lately.. being able to enter from the four directions and exit smoothly too.. and being able to control the tangle for many beats.. and then having massive tangles in crazy directions all over your hands and stalling/wrapping and doing the exact opposite to untangle your poi.. im having great fun..! and with contact poi and throws/releases too.. tai ji helps.. smile

smile

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
i cant focus... too many diffrent toys.... to many bongs

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
ubblol I know how you feel! haha

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: shen shui

i've been playing around with buzzsaw hyperloops lately.. being able to enter from the four directions and exit smoothly too.. and being able to control the tangle for many beats.. and then having massive tangles in crazy directions all over your hands and stalling/wrapping and doing the exact opposite to untangle your poi.. im having great fun..! and with contact poi and throws/releases too.. tai ji helps.. smile

smile

BFloops - 4 entries at each position - left/right led, top/bottom entry - can you do all four in left/right wall plane (inside entries) and left/right wheel plane (outside entries) ? That's why I've been spending so long doing it, and that's without thinking of multiple beats and moving the tangle against the natural direction based on which hand you lead in with. Or taking the tangle inside ubblol

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
I really like everything, from juggling poi to doing isolations and inversions. I can do wibbles and dribbles on my arms a nd legs an tribble occasionally on my right arm. I really like buzzsaws and flowers, I have been working on one arm regular flower one arm anitspun , or switching flower directions mid swing. Pedulums as well, from buzzsaw pendulum to other sude of bodt abd turn in to a butterfly of another buzzsaw.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
With poi I'm a flower and big sweepy\performance moves person. Although poi is not the only thing that gets a lot of my attention, I do a lot of other things, some object manipulation (although badly), some not. Just whatever mood I'm in that day.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
spiralx - only just started looking into butterfloops.. been working a lot on them from the weave side of things.. i dont know anyone else here (where i live) thats doing anything with tangles, and this computer is absolute rubbish - i cant download anything.. so i dont really understand "do all four in left/right wall plane (inside entries) and left/right wheel plane (outside entries)".. which sucks.. but -shrugs- its in my 6 month plan to have a lovely fast computer that does great things. that'll be lovely.

mmm.

mmm tangles n contacts...

(getting a constand 10 beats or so on those hyperbuzzes, too, btw...)

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

Page: