Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > British Juggling Convention 20th - 23rd April

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
devilstarSILVER Member
blue haired pyrovixen monkey girl!
155 posts

Posted:
At the request of Bubbles, here's the BJC2006 thread.

Many of you know the score, infact it was last year's BJC where I met my first HOP'res & got talked into giving these forums a go. It was my first ever camping convention & I've been hoocked ever since, I even met my partner there eek

There's Juggling & Spinning & Acro & workshops & 24 hr juggling hall & a fireshow & much more, but not least important is it'll be my birthday on the Saterday ubblol they have a lovley & informative website here. Pre-reg is £50 & ends March 7th.

You comming then? weavesmiley juggle biggrin ubblove hug

devil Blue is best, blue is beautiful
If I knew what I was looking for, I would have found it by now, but that would take all the fun out of it. - me
I never wanted to be different. I just wanted to be me - bmeshop.com

mini_mansellnewbie
19 posts

Posted:
cool

though world juggling day is a worlswide thing that takes place all over the planet on the same day..

many countries try something serious.

i prefer to chill in a beautiful field

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Well still may be worth postin up your one on here!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
LOST

Despite searching my house, my sisters house and asking Jon to search the boat it appears that I have lost my Hologram black and pink hyperloop poi. I'm gutted! The last time I remember seeing them was in Bodmin at the juggling convention. If anyone has them or has seen them please let me know. I'll be broken hearted if they don't show up frown

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I'm glad i didnt see the 'no poi' sign because i probably would have chucked it in the bin. If a self professed juggler came to a falmouth meet they would never see a sign saying 'no juggling'. Maybe poi spinners/staff spinners are more open to diversity than jugglers.

Poi is just as difficult as juggling. I learnt the 3b cascade in about 5 minutes, i learnt the 3beat weave in about 10. Now, im learning juggling tricks a lot quicker than learning new poi moves. Is that because juggling tricks are easier and poi moves are harder? Probably not. Juggling is mainly about tricks and how many you can juggle, i've never seen a juggler dance with his prop like spinners do, ive never seen a spinner play with 7 poi, 6 poi but never 7. They are totally different disciplines and i resent the fact that jugglers seem to think their chosen toy is harder to master than poi is.

Ok, i cant juggle 5 balls but can a 'juggler' do whip catches or atomics? Why cant you recognise that juggling is a totally different hobby from poi and so has a different learning curve? It doesnt make one better than the other. Until the BJC i considered myself a juggler because thats what i was doing most of, thats where i was progressing because i hadnt been playing with my poi. Now, after seeing the attitude toward spinners and reading this thread, i'm a spinner through and through.

I just hope the EJC doesnt have the same closed view of poi and those who practice it.

Oh, and the whole 'spinners are unaware of their surroundings when they spin' is a load of crap and an offensive generalisation.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"I'm glad i didnt see the 'no poi' sign because i probably would have chucked it in the bin."
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol
What.. and the massive whiteboard on wheels it was written on? wink

"If a self professed juggler came to a falmouth meet they would never see a sign saying 'no juggling'" - Correct, but the BJc isnt Falmouth. shrug

"Poi is just as difficult as juggling" - no.. no it isnt. It hasnt taken me 2 years to learn ANY poi move. I still dont have a solid 5 ball shower after 2 years.

"i've never seen a juggler dance with his prop like spinners do" You should Google video for Chris Bliss wink

Seriously, like a blind juggler, just drop it. smile

We all know poi isnt juggling and we know that some jugglers think poi is lame. Some spinners think juggling is lame. Horses for courses, get on with life.

Harry_PotterToadStool Circus Acts
181 posts

Posted:
Hey you can juggle blind you know. Next year or maybe the year after im gonna do a whole BYJY act blind folded. Its all about that iether a throw juggler or a catch juggler. Anyway please dont fight Poi and Jugglign are lovely. Staffs sexier. Hehehe no there all cool. Smile its all happy.

Yo-yoist, Staffer and 3 Ball and Club Juggling
'Its people like us, who make them feel talentless.'

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Skulduggery

Please, Please help me find my beautiful poi. I'm heart broken that I have lost them.

Last seen at the BJC on Bodmin, bright pink hologram one side, black hologram the other, hyperloop.co.uk cone poi. They have a pink and black ribbon tying the ends closed and have a juggling ball in the end of each. They were hand made by Gayle for me and I love spinning with them.

If anyone knows where they are please contact me as I will be very sad if I never see them again ubbcrying

Mini (or any other organiser)... was there any lost property at the end of the BJC?

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
me, Jake and Sym were among the last people to go, and I'm sad to say, I couldnt see any magic pink and black poi anywhere frown sorry Skully hug i hope they turn up

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Mini posted a list of lost property on the uk jugglers yahoo group a little while back.. 'fraid there were no poi on it..

N.

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnConvincinglyOvertlyFunny

get on with life.

Thanks Jon.

Jake the Juggler

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PinkNigel

Mini posted a list of lost property on the uk jugglers yahoo group a little while back.. 'fraid there were no poi on it..

N.

Yeah, but how many jugglers would own up to having a pair of poi in their possession? tongue

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

devilstarSILVER Member
blue haired pyrovixen monkey girl!
155 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnConvincinglyOvertlyFunny

Horses for courses, get on with life.

you took the words right outta my ... keyboard i guess. biggrin

Anyways conventions are never perfect, you can't pleese all the people all the time & all that. Comes down to what you make of it & we had a fantastic time. I think they did an amazing effort FOR FREE!

Wish I'd known about the no fire thing before we set off though, coulda brought 5 more lietres of cider instead of all that parafin.

finally got my photos up, better late than never I guess.

devil Blue is best, blue is beautiful
If I knew what I was looking for, I would have found it by now, but that would take all the fun out of it. - me
I never wanted to be different. I just wanted to be me - bmeshop.com

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
loved the pix...

especially those on page 2 - "the juggler monkeys" ubblol

The uni cycles next to mintsauce really finish it off!

Great work biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
eek Bloody Hell!!

I was on the tree and I was oblivious to the fact that they managed to get the unicycles up there!

Heehee nice pics though (although on the 3rd juggle monkey pic I appear to be getting very intimate with the tree... confused

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ubblolHadn't spotted the unicycle before!
Excellent!

Neon....possibly a little too intimate! ubblol

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
There you go Strugz... a free Sample tongue

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mini_mansellnewbie
19 posts

Posted:
hiya

unfortunately nope. there where no poi in the lost or left behind property..

sorry

RioneBRONZE Member
43 posts

Posted:
Wow, just read the last bit of this thread... oh I feel so bad for Zen frown I didn't hear about that.

Also, I don't remember seeing any lost poi before I left Bodmin... sorry Skully! Hope you find them!

Colin Jsmall member
116 posts

Posted:
Hey Sym, it wasn't my fav BJC either. Not by a long shot. I don't think I learnt a single thing frown

except superballs are the [censored] biggrin

mini_mansellnewbie
19 posts

Posted:
dragging it back on topic.

which was your fave BJC? (and why?)

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
boooo... our lucrative gig on the sat's been cancelled but YAAAAAAAAAYYYY.... I CAN COME TO BRISTOL THIS YEAR!!!*

bounce cool biggrin grouphug

*Fingers crossed.... rolleyes****

****Oops... wrong thread.. now where is the bristol one?????
EDITED_BY: duballstar (1157395579)

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubbloco

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Bristol pics are at the top of HOP ubblove

I'll be there from the Sunday, to the Friday, as im off to Australia on the following Sunday.

Not that im gloating or anything... ubbangel
Honest wink

kianewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hay there everyone,

This is short notice, I know, but it's a desperate plea to get my friend to the BJC! He's in Cardiff (but could get a train somewhere) and supposted to be in the unicycle ballet on friday night!!Is there anyone out there who is going up tomorrow and can help?!
)7977976422

Written by: devilstar

At the request of Bubbles, here's the BJC2006 thread.

Many of you know the score, infact it was last year's BJC where I met my first HOP'res & got talked into giving these forums a go. It was my first ever camping convention & I've been hoocked ever since, I even met my partner there eek

There's Juggling & Spinning & Acro & workshops & 24 hr juggling hall & a fireshow & much more, but not least important is it'll be my birthday on the Saterday ubblol they have a lovley & informative website here. Pre-reg is £50 & ends March 7th.

You comming then? weavesmiley juggle biggrin ubblove hug

Page: ...