Forums > Technical Discussion > Making Fire Poi from Rope Wick

Login/Join to Participate

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
Hey.
My name is Melissa, I live in Newfoundland, Canada.
We have a fairly small poi community here, and I'm having some trouble regarding the technical aspects of making a set of fire poi using rope wick. Here, pretty well everyone has standard fire poi, but I'm looking at making a set like a friend of mine from France used last summer, made using only Kevlar rope, basically, big knot at the bottom, little knot at the top, dipped in camp fuel.
What I'm really wondering is how much rope I'll need, since I'll have to order it, and if anyone has any tips regarding these.
It would be so appreciated. Thanks.
confused

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I think Thebovrilmonkey has made a set of poi like that. You could try PM-ing him and asking him. He's uber nice and never bites.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

You need about two meters of 13mm or 23mm kevlar rope (not the hybrid stuff) depending on the burning time you require, additionally be aware of how your attaching the fastenings since this can shorten the useful life of the props.

mark

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
My ropes are exactly like that. Matthew B-M made them for me, and they really are my favourite ropes ever ubblove

Maybe try PM'ing him as well. I'm sure he'll give you some tips.

Good Luck, and happy spinning.

hug

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
please note:

you do NOT need knots in the ends of the rope, when dipped in fuel the rope becomes very heavy and will spin fine without weights on the ends wink

and make sure that the rope doesnt attach to the actual finger loops(burnt hands) get some normal wire and attach that between the finger loops and the top of the rope.

i dont know about 2m of rope, it would depend on how tall and strong you are, like i said the wet ropes get very heavy and if you make it too long you wont have the strenght to spin them for very long. i'd suggest 50-70cm lenghts on each one would be suffiecient

good luck with it, report back when you've made them wink

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
haha. As soon as my wallet gets over the money I just spent on new juggling stuff and REGULAR wick, I'll be right there. =)

stiched_upGOLD Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
who can help me with some rope dart moves??

mmmmmmm fire.... he he he!!!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
money is always the problem hey?

hey lukestone, both ataxia and dentrassi know a bit of rope dart, alternatively you could do a search or broswe the [Old link]

here is one [Old link], i'm sure you can find more wink

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley