Page:
DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Well I quit smoking for the umpteenth time yesterday. I decide to try again afer I found out that cigarette companies have to try and recruit 25 new smokers, mainly young people, a day to make up for the number of smokers that are dying.

I was also told that in China, because of the lack of law there, cigarette companies put something like 4 times the nicotene in cigarettes. Around the rest of the world they have genetically modified the tobacco so that nicotene is absorbed more efficiently, meaning that even the lower nicotene contents we see on cigarette boxes mean nothing.

I've smoked for years and have always hated the idea but feel nearly trapped or something. I know the cynics will say that it is easy but it's not. When you've been doing something every day for years it get's rooted in your mind more than body. I'm not looking for sympathy but I do think that non smokers don't realise how hard this can be.

I am not a weak willed or minded person and I am going to try as hard as I can this year, but I was just wondering does anybody else who smokes feel as stupid and wish they never started?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
DSS - were you not smoking like a trouper in April in the pub.

I don't think his resolve was really there Valura!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I've smoked since I was 10. Quit when I was 12. Smoked from 15 to 18, and still have one every few days. I've quit several times for extended periods, and actually I found that it was much more a social thing than anything else. I only smoke when I'm with other people. So I took to carrying a lot of coffee stiring straws with me, and chewing on them whenever others lit a ciggarette. Works well. Also its like conditioned habit after the "odd reefer" as KOB said.

And no, it is not as bad for you. Cigarettes destroy the small airways, which causes all the damage. MJ harms the large air passages 10x as much as cigarettes do, but since cigarrettes do almost 0 harm in large passageways, 10x0 is still 0. The carbon monoxide inherrant to inhaling smoke is still present, but long term damage is neglegable.

Woo!HCH No 2
216 posts

Posted:
I have just been in hopsital, on a surgery ward. That was enough to make me stop. Until I got out and went straight to the newsagents... How sad is that?

Jim³

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Actually, now im A week into giving up I sugfgest to everyone take up smokeing! get addicted!

you wont believe how much practice ive done since I stopped.

Oh and for me, reefer is a really bad idea, just cos it keeps you a maintence dose of tobbaco, I got a little pipe I take with me.

L8r

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
i quit smoking in january ... 4 packs every 3 days .... roughly 3800$ CAD a year ... i just got tired of spending the money ...

i sorta had a program ...
for one pack i smoked a cigarette every 2 hours
the next pack it was every 3 hours
then every 4 hours
finally i just stopped and haven't had one since

any smoke is bad for you .. legal and illegal you are doing harm to your system... ( i once had a crack addict explain that the smoke helped him breathe better .. addicts are kinda sad ( pot/crack/niccotine))

quitting only works if you really wanna quit .. and i did ...

think of the money you'll save !!!

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
DSS walks in head low and shoulders slumped. Yea that wasn't me in the pub, it was you that was smoking, I just finished my last exam ever.

I crumbled on the 16th of March
But I learnt a lot and will be quitting again. Never giv eup giving up me thinks. I have been using my exams as my latest excuse so I'll think about it after I'm over my hangover on tuesday.

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
well ive been smoking since i was 12 (yes i know its bad and its certainly not a fact im proud of) but ive always been on and off and ive never really got to the point where i smoke everyday. im now trying to properly give up after my little brother went on a campaign to get me fit and i found out i have the lung size of a hamster, i felt so bad having to stop every 2mins with a 15 year old laughing at me in the distance that ive desided to stop, well that and the fact im sick of my friends making me go the other end of the pub every time i light up!!
soooooo i totally sympathise with you and i wish you all the luck in the world

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
When i was at uni, i began to smoke loads due to stress, i also drank as much as i smoked which landed me in a big mess. I smoked from the age of thirteen so it was a natural thing for me to do.
It ended up with a friend putting it rather bluntly that the drink and stuff was killing me. The drink was the main problem obviously cos i didnt know wot i was doing most of the time and i dropped to an extremely low weight of just over 7 stone (Ideal weight should be 9 1/2). That day my friend (now my boyfriend) came to see me, i made the decision that i would stop everything!. So i did, i took it one day at a time and i haven't been a smoker for 4 years or so (or a serious drinker). It is acheivable, but you have to want to give up!. Its much better to put up with the cravings than put up with seeing people you love have to cope with you dying of a smoke related disease, and you yourself having to go through a lot of pain. Good luck to all of you quitters, i hope you manage it, but take it one day at a time. Make sure you surround yourself with positive people, they will be an enormous help. Take care guys!. You can do it!.

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Well, I love my fags when I am having a drink so I am not someone to preach about the evils of smoking.

Main thing is that if you have a cigarette, don't think 'oh I can't do it'. I know so many people that if they break down and have one cigarette start puffing full time again.

Anybody who is doing exams, well now is not the best time to quit, but try and not eat the damn things. I took up smoking in Uni and smoked a lot. I still smoke socially but if like me, you cave in once you have a drop of alcohol in your system then that does not mean you have to have a cigarette or 10 the next day.

I think my problem is I don't want to quit, I like my and while I know that it is meant to be 25% worse for you than a normal smoke, everyone has their vices. I did try quitting but settled on cutting down instead!

Good luck to all of you who are trying to quit

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

hollymember
61 posts

Posted:
i smoke maybe 2 or 3 roll ups(wiv filters) a day, sometimes going weeks without one if im at my parents, and sometimes smoking 15 on a big night out. but on average relativevly little. just wondering if anyone believes in the everything in moderation motto. i dont feel very unhealthy having only a few a day- i dont drink alot, i rarely smoke weed and i eat fairly healthily- i feel that they are my unhealthy treat! is that a bad way to think? i feel unhealthy when i start coughing and have a sore throat-thats when i know im smoking too much. so maybe if u people out there enjoy smoking so much like me- the physical and mental enjoyment of having a cigarette- just allow yourself that one a day, rather than 10 or 20 a day- im sure sitting in a smoky pub for a few hours is just as bad dont u think? and i dont do that very often. and exercise aswell.....

Never doubt that a small group of crusties, activists, and politicos can change the world... in fact, it's the only thing that ever does ;-)

Gandhi Ganjamastermember
299 posts

Posted:
some great tips for stopping smoking. loved the picts
it's true, when ever i dont smoke i have loads more time on my hands.
i also feel much crisper and healthier (those were the days i could dance all night till the sun came up)
i started smoking again after i couldn't handle being so bloody psychic. i just felt too much, knew too much about other people.

that's years ago tho. once my life settles in i'll give it another go.

Why?

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
i know its not quite the same, but i smoked weed for 3 years, mainly in the last 2. from about the begining of last year till the 11th of March (my birthday!!!!!) this year smoked every single day. then on my birthday i had the darkest exspierence of my life and havn't smoke since.

if your looking to stop though, i read in this months Men's Health that whenever you get "the craving", drink half a pint of water. you'll piss like a donkey, but it'll take the edge off... aparently. lot of people say this is a really good method as it also sorts your health and skin out a treat with the come down. the first 6 odd weeks after smoking though, most people i've talked to notcied a much worse cough then when they smoked. this'll go away after about a month or so, and you'll start to feel sooooo much better......

doubt it'll help... but you never know.....

Gandhi Ganjamastermember
299 posts

Posted:
ADDICTION BREAKER

NOT FOR PREGNANT WOMEN !!
Can help bring on menses and regulate.

Helps relieve worst symptons of withdrawal from drugs/alcohol, or oppressive mental situation

15 ml/1 tbsp dried sage (salvia officinalis)
5 ml/ 1 tsp dried yarrow (achillea milleforum)
5 ml/ 1 tsp dried parsley (carum petroselium)

pour 600 ml/1pt/2 1/2 cups boiling water over ingedients and leave to brew for 5-10 minutes.
strain and take a cupful as required through the day, up to 600 ml/day.

After a fortnight (two weeks) stop for two weeks, then start again if necessary.

recipe by Chris Sempers.

*tis is good stuff, kinda supports the necessary willpower. Good Luck !

Why?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Kat I agree exactly with you on the "one puff and your out" trait.

I've been smoke free for almost 4 years now, but I planned my exit thoroughly.

I talked to lots of people who had quit, and those who were trying and thos ewho had tried but not been able to do it.

I found out that people would often go cold turkey, then give in, have one ciggy, and then start chain smoking again.

I first set myself a target of one ciggy a day, a few weeks later set it to 4 a week etc etc.

Sure, i didn't follow it all the time, but when i gave in, I thought

"OK I've had one now, I can't have another one for another two days/week/month"

It took me a while, but it seriously did work, with probably hundreds of times giving in and having one.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Sundancemember
58 posts

Posted:
ive been smoking for about 12 years and after the first year i know it is next to impossible to quit
unless you ahve some1 who you love to help you quit any1 else you will try to kill so trust me on this if you dont want to quit then dont quit if you do ? then have a loved1 help you.
speaking from experiance

wazzzzzzzzup all im sundance from san antonio i dont know alot of you but i hope to get to know you better on here if your in san antonio write me a i.m. laters.........sundance

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Having a loved one helo is great...But I did it without.

It's not a prerequisite, but certainly would make it nicer....

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Having a loved one help is great...But I did it without.

It's not a prerequisite, but certainly would make it nicer....

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
our willpower is like a cup that that empties when we need to focus to do something difficult, but it can be filled up again with rest or positive emotions.
perhaps spiritual work may help you quit - it did for me, and it's my first year that i've quit now (and yes, i consider the herb to be smoking as well)

remember, NO EXCEPTIONS!!
it's the small excused things that topple your quitting!
plus once you quit - the price for peace is eternal vigilance; no matter how cute the person that's offering a toke, you have to be strong!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Trying again this week. 2nd cigarette free day today. I haven't re-read this thread yet but I my favourite quote so far is Thistle

quote:
I say it's a demon because in my opinion it is. It's a demon who robs you of your health, your precious energy, your looks, your money, and eventually your life.

No matter how long you give it up for the Nicotine Demon's voice will always be in the back of your mind, when you feel low or you are drunk or you are lonely, saying "Go on just have one, you know you want to". You don't have to listen to it or take heed of what it says, you can stay true to what you have decided and fight each battle and win as it comes back to haunt you. If you lose the battle sometimes and give in to that one cigarette the war does not have to be lost. Each battle that is won makes the voice a little quieter. Never give up giving up!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Good luck!! I promised Kota I was going to quit as well.

Going to Spitz tonight though so I may start tomorrow

- W B Yeats

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I smoked for over ten years with many failed attempts, the last two years were a full on battle where, despite having no illusions about liking the taste and knowing full well I smoked only for addiction.

In the last year I was giving up and starting again on pretty much a weekly basis.

Now I've been free for over three years.

Tips: -

1. If you want a good book, the only one I'd recommend out of the ones I read would be Allen Carrs- 'Easy way to give up smoking'.

2. Whilst some people succeed by cutting down/using substitutes, in my experience (both of myself and through a lot of friends/relatives) for the majority it's just a way of prolonging the torture.

One way to make the quitting stage easy is to be aware that you are not giving up anything of value; the danger of cutting down is that you come to value the few cigarettes you allow yourself. The danger of the substitutes is that you are reinforcing your subconscious belief that cigarettes are of value.

3. Try to understand the real reason you are smoking (Allen Carrs book useful here). Anyone who is at the point where there are trying to quit and failing is probably coming to realise that there are some other factors than choice/enjoyment in operation.

4. Ultimatly it's about setting a quit day; prior to this smoke as much as you want, or even more. Reflect on the nasty aspects of smoking, the foul taste, the fact that you are a slave to nicotine, the impression you give to children in the street that smoking is a harmless/normal activity.

5. Next day, be happy, walking away from the slavery of smoking addiction is a thing to celebrate, not mourn. The more positive your attitude the less you'll be bothered by withdrawal feelings.

Be aware that the part of your subconscious that wants to smoke will try to trick into having 'just one toke'. Whilst it is possible to have one toke and make it through, it's not very likely- the single most effective way to ensure that you will start to smoke again is to have 'just one toke'.

Fortunatly, there is an easy way to ensure that the tricks of your subconscious and withdrawal feelings have no effect - when any thought/feeling arises prompting you to wish for a cigarette, simply acknowledge it and let it go; don't get into internal dialogue with any thought that is trying to get you to smoke.

This is hard for many people, especially if you value the ability to think freely- it can seem a little like brainwashing yourself.

However, it is the part of your own subconscious that like to smoke that is the true brainwasher/deciever, fight it by 'any means necessary'

Ultimatley, you are making it easier on yourself, when your subconscious sends up bad logic like: -

'go on, have a toke, you've done so well and it'll make the craving go, it'll make you stronger....

or emotional appeals like: -

'Go on, have a cig; remember what a good friend they've been- always been there for you when no one else was....'

just let it go, now is not the time to be making judgements about the validity of such thoughts. I found that withdrawal pangs consisted of 90% indecision about whether or not to have a cigarette.

If you decide to smoke no more, refuse to engage with internal arguments about having a cig, and reflect on your new freedom in a positive way, then you have succeeded.

Lastly, apologies to those of you who consider the above to be dogmatic (many dislike Allen Carrs book for the same reason). They are all, of course, only my opinion.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yea, I think the book is good. I think it contributed to me quitting at the start of the year, but I gave a loan of it to a friend and they lost it. I reckon I can kinda remember most of what's in it though.

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
I can't tell you how amazing it has been for me to stop smoking. I've been a non-smoker for just over two months and it's great.

onewheeldave's advice above is totally spot on - especially about the Allen Carr book, it helped me no end. True, it's just neuro linguistic programming, but then so is nicotine addiction - and if it works, who cares! I barely think about smoking now, let alone pine for it.
And that's after being on over 20 a day for 13 years!

Good luck to all who are trying. Basically look at it like this - you're not giving up anything, just stopping doing something. All you have to do to be a non-smoker is never smoke another cigarette. Beautifully simple.

Oh, and I've started using Honeyblend in spliffs which means I never have to smoke tobacco again. Yay!

The only thing I'd say is that you have to really want to stop. If you're trying to do it for health or family or a loved one it's most likely you'll fail. You can only, and have to, do it for yourself.

Big bags of luck to you all.

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

Page: