Forums > Social Discussion > Fly on the wall of America Online...

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Go here:

https://news.aol.com/

Pick any hot button news article. (Terrorism or Iraq is a good bet... but even Bird Flu works)

Then look at the "post" or "post your thoughts" or "talk about it". (Only most of the articles have it.. and only the AOL articles, not the ones linked to 'real' news agencies.)

Read the idiots.

Come back here.

Hug everyone.

[There's a bigger issue of what is slowly becoming the global online community but I'll leave that for now...]

EDITED_BY: NYC (1133994080)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Actually there's funnier news forums at www.fark.com

It's not news, it's fark.com.

Basically liberal/conservative flame wars back and forth. hug

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
*winces*

hug

God I love HoP and it's discussion forum...

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Written by:

That's how the media (AOL) BRAIN WASHES you!!! Look at the facts...not what AOL wants you to see. USE YOUR BRAINS....everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember AOL, Time Warner, CNN and ABC is the same company. They have a hold on your brains...if you let them...

rolleyes
(though I'm with "use your brains", generally...)

I could spend hours on there reading, but I think I should not... I remember reading some comments about Germany and France when the governments refused to join the Iraq war. Aside from being amusing, it was slightly scary... I was quite happy to not be in America, even though it was probably the extreme views of a few people. But there's so much hate, and lack of understanding most basic concepts frown

On the funny side, among other things, people asked for "the right to defend American territory anywhere", like "when a McDonald's in France is being attacked by terrorists, US Airforce should be allowed to go there and act without having to ask France for permission to fly over the country". (add random capital letters, spelling mistakes, lack of punctuation and shorter words than "permission" and "territory")

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: some mental with an AOL account

It is fact that Muslims hate Jews, and America because of it's support for Israel

ubblol ubblol ubblol

So everyone clear?

ALL muslims, hate ALL jews and America due to the sole reason that they support Isreal. FACT (apparently)

It really is quite worrying to see people thinking like this. frown

*sits back and relaxes on HOP, cuddling everyone*

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
*cuddles jon*

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
About the cat-like fossil found in Borneo

Written by: an impressively dumb Americane

I beleive JESUS put that animal there to show that all kindes of animals are here all the time even something that looks like a DInosar. this is done by Jesus to show that there is no evolotion and we dont know that dinosars even where HERE they coulde have been dragons from the olden days as people written of them! it is very wrong to teache the CHIldren this evolotion agianst the teaching of JESUS and GOD and that is why this animal has come to us now.

Is the smug sense of superiority I feel wrong?

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I'm not going to any of these sites. I can't afford to have that many IQ points sapped out of my system. I'm running low as it is.

*shudders*

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
lol hey dont be mean they are trying there best to discuss things, theres no point in you lot going in and making fun of them for what they type, if its what they think its what they think. They dont all have PHD's in this that and this to rely on.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You dont need a PHD.
Common sence would suffice in most cases.
rolleyes

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
GIVE THEM A BREAK!!!! MOST OF THEM DON'T EVEN HAVE LOWER CASE LETTERS ON THEIR KEYBOARDS!!!!!!

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
Entertaining, comical, disturbing and frustrating as they are, I think we ought to make as much as an effort to talk to these people as much as we do with our largely reasnoble, intelligent HoPers.

Yes they will scream poorly spelt obscenities at you, but if you dont try and engage with the big, bad, crazy world out there you're left smugly preaching to the converted, while looking down your noses at the 'dumb' majority

If someone's been brought up in a devoutly religious family in an insulated community which has some totally illogical, insane and dangerous beliefs then chances are that's the way they'll think... they dont know any different. It's not (entirely) their fault. But if we only look at what they say in order to mock them we're not really helping.

Trying to convince people that their government, or religion has been guilty of perpetrating acts which are ethically and morally wrong is damn hard. It's like trying to build an ecosystem, but with ideas rather than life. The hardest part is finding somewhere to start. Like an ecosystem, knowledge operates in a network of thought, and networks are known for their inderpendence. Thoughts which dont fit into the existing network of subjective personal knowledge are usually rejected outright, hence you get flamed. But if you can plant seeds of doubt, then they will blossom later, as these nodes of information will later join other dissident nodes in an alternative structure to that of bigotry and intolerance.

You can't tell people they're wrong, perhaps as much as encourage them to think in different ways. If you acheive the later, they will come to the conclusion that the former is true in their time, in their own way.

Not to say that isn't great that we have a fairly friendly, open space for discussion as part of this virtual community. Just that it's a shame if it means closing ourselves off to the world at large

hug

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: dream

I think we ought to make as much as an effort to talk to these people

If by "we" you mean you then I'm all for it. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
One of the things I like best about this board is the percentage of people who have heard of things like grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. One of the things I like best about that board is the percentage of people who have not heard of said items and expect to be taken seriously. It amuses me.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"