AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Ben from Pyrocussion here.Saw a guy in Silvers Circus do the two in one hand (opposite directions) trick and then held them in his teeth!!!! Very niceCan anyone do this???Also does anyone know where to get the poi used by the girls in Saltimbanco that make noise (hitting ground) and dont chip, all plastic stuff we use breaks!!!pyrocussion@hotmail.com

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey there Ben...can't help you with the teeth. But holy cow!!!! Was he spinning fire? shocked I think my teeth are taking enough of a beating from the fire eating/breathing..I couldn't imagine all that strain! winkAnyway...they are acrylic balls...the ones that are marketed as chip resistant. A friend got mine for me and drilled holes with a Diamond drill for the cording to go through. I know they are available through Dube, but once you drill them they are no longer garunteed not to shatter (go figure).They will chip slightly and such but to keep them looking good to the audience you need to get the acrylic ball polish...it really helps. And to let you know, if you have the cord too long the acrylic ball end will take a beating...it's one of those things that needs to be just so. Same thing with using them on concrete instead of wood....Thought I'd throw this in for anyone who might not know, even if you do grin.For anyone else as well..while the swinging that way is impressive, the down swings are a bit harder than poi and better with hard shoe dancing (ie: tap, flamenco, irish step) it balances out the bolo. And creates music, literally smile.I still don't have the hang of it but will continue working and when I can pin down Peter (Manolete the Spaniard) I can get him to show me more. I'll let you know how it goes!!!!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
Do you meen the butterfly move.I can do it one handed and can put the handles between my front teeth. (wont try with fire). Its not as bad as it seems, but requires masses of head bobbing up and down to keep up the momentum. Im working on keeping it going for more than a few seconds. .... No luck so far .. frownIll keep tryin though tongue

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
I know of quite a few fire eaters who hold the torch(es) in their teeth, although their dentists don't really like it much as it can cause heat stress fractures in your teeth, making you dental x-ray look very much like an Illinois highway map smile-PSM[This message has been edited by psychomonkey (edited 19 April 2001).]

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Doesn't even take that PSM...just the heat of the fire will cause them, then off course there's the gum disease that comes with fire breathing and now this twirling with the mouth is ganna cause the teeth stress even more (though I wanna try it I am trying to figure out how I would get them to unloop off my right hand). I fear going to the dentist not for cavities but for being yelled at for what I do!!! grin (at least my smiley can show teeth!!!)------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
The guy doing the teeth move did it side to side instead of up and down, which is a little easier on the neck (two in one hand sideways feels really cool, different to the up and down one). Another guy did it with big long fire meteors at the Australian Circus Festival this year!