Forums > Videos > Promoting firetwirling with the Ipod video

Login/Join to Participate

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
What's this all about then?
On the 13th of this month, Apple annouced it's plans to help change the many people's habits with digital media. The new Apple Ipod will be capable of displaying videos similiar to the resolution of many of our fire videos, at a great tricky-move-friendly framerate.

creating additional versions of our fire videos matching that format provides a wonderful opportunity for the fire community's beautiful art to reach many more people, through the sheer accessibility of the video distribution framework that the ipod device is only one part of.

It isn't guaranteed that anything will come of this added conversion, though i suspect that people on P2P filesharing networks will give a go to intriguing video files that are compatible with their new toy. Already portable music players have changed the on-the-go listening habits of people round this blue globe, perhaps we can spread more awareness of our fine art when people's video habits shift! smile

How?
As i understand it, only special quicktime files with either an AVC or MPEG4 encoding will play on the new device.
Specifically:

QuickTime encapsulated H.264
Encoder: AVC
Bitrate: up to 768kbps
resolution: 320x240
Framerate: 30fps

QuickTime encapsulated MPEG4
Encoder: MPEG4 (as used in div-X)
Bitrate: 2.5Mbps
Pirate: arrr!
resolution: 480x480
Framerate: 30fps

so export your final videos to that format (proably mpeg or uncompressed AVI) and use Quicktime Pro to export to either of the above formats. If you don't want to shell out the US$29.95 for Quicktime Pro, there's a program called videolan that can help you convert to those QT7 formats.
an article describing a simliar technique (for converting from tivotogo video files across to ipod QT7 video formats) can be found here

...so this is all just a thought for the fire video enthusiasts out there who want a shiny 'ipod video ready' download link!
Now please excuse me while i order something that can hold and pay 60 odd GB of firetwirling and fiona apple videos.

mmm apple. ubblove ubblove

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I've been looking at ways to display videos in a portable way for a while now, i'll definitely give this a go at some point.

Doubt i'd ever want one myself tho.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
riiiight.... this is a great idea but the main problem being file sharing between iPods.
i have had one for a while now and been keeping up to date with their new stuff and while i think their kit is very sexy there is the problem of people sharing the files of spinning.
since the iPod cant share files with other iPods, the pasing of the vid files will only get as far as people downloading vids to their new toys.
For them to do this they must already have an interest in our lovely art.
this means that people will only see the vids that are shown to them by people wh are already into spinning and already (probably) raving about it and showing off the cool vids they have downloaded at home on their computer.
However it still being possible i would like to have spin vids available for showing for when i get the typical question "So whats all that about then?"
if someone can work out how to get vids to play on my phone (short of just pointing the camera at the screen while it plays) then i would be very happy for an easy way of illustrating what its all about.

"Don't do it naked!"

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
bender, i know im probalbly going to get it in the neck for saying this but i-pods are not markteleaders, they are in terms of advertising, but when you look at the i-pod history, its updated on a regular basis, because of faults, and i-pods dreams of making more and more money

other players like the one i have (by i-river (wwww.i-river.com)) has done all that i-pods can do now, but they have done it from the start. They had colour screens first, they could show pictures, and text files long before i pods could, and they where able to play videos long before i-pod waded in.

Plus i dont really want to watch a video or look at a picture on a 2inch screen!

In terms of output of the vidoes ,make sure when you output your vids, make sure you use the m-peg audio encoding process, to make sure it has universal compatablity, other wise if you use the PCM or windows encoding settings, it will have problems on play back

Step (el-nombrie)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Great idea Bender but.... I can take it one step further!

I have some free time on my hands this following year, which i could warmly put into creating Home of Poi Podcasts. Podcasting is a way of publishing podcasts to the web, allowing people to subscribe to a podcast and receive new "episodes" automatically.

I have a great setup to convert most formats to H.264 for use with the iPod and podcasting. This way we really can share our art with the whole world!

If you like the idea I will post a new thread in Videos with the details of Podcasting. If you would like to submit your video to be used just post a link, I will convert it and deal with apple, itunes and updating. What do you think, there's no harm and no effort on your part.

---------

Mech i don't have muc time right now to express the difference between the iPod and the iRiver but heres the low down:

The iPod is the market leader and owns about 2/3rds of the market share (although i can't remember the numbers exactly). iTunes is the first music store to offer legal music downloads and now music videos from nearly all major labels. The new iPod just plays video, it is not by any means meant to be a Video iPod or a PMP, think of it as a test for apple to see if it's really worth it to bring out a PMP/Video iPod. Apple has 4 models that get updated on yearly cycles, iRiver doesn't update, instead they just release a new model, resulting in 23 different models they have at the moment. The iPod aren't updated because of faults, they are updated to add new technology - don't know where you got that one from mech? If the iPod wasn't so good and popular car companies like BMW, Audi, etc. wouldn't be making dock connecters for the iPod.

And by the way i have iRiver PMP120 so don't think i'm biased. I was just laying down the facts. hug

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i hear, and understand what you are saying,

ill reply to this when i have thought about a good way of explinaing this better

Step (el-nombrie)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ok, i cant reply to this, as i cant make this convo as good as it should be, my brain is ont very good at making stuff come out at sence......

but i will just say, i have played with ipods, for sometime, and i have played with i-river for a while to, and i knwo which one i prefer,

Step (el-nombrie)

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
thanks matthew, i didn't know which point to begin with, thanks for addressing them!
i dislike how ipods won't allow you to drag and drop out of a virtual drive out of the box, and the small screens, but then again, it is an audio player first, and a video player second.

i really like what iriver have put out with their h300 line, but if the only benefits you have pointed out mech was that they did it first, that doesn't really cover for the fact that the capacity is less than the latest ipod, the screen is dimmer, the fps on a firmware upgraded h300 is only 15fps, the powerup time to be useful is longer and that in playback the slight pause between tracks interrupts my william hung live sets. besides, i'd rather twirl with something slimmer than a h300 jutting out of my codpeice. I've got appearances to keep up ya know. :shifts uncomfortably in is seat: h300's have nice sennheiser earphones tho.

tiny video screens won't set the world on fire, but it will be a great way to distribute flamey goodness to people who otherwise wouldn't be aware of how diverse, inspiring, sex-sey fire arts can be!

even with a meagre lineup, the new itunes have sold 1 million videos in 20 days!! that's not a litte interest in portable-tiny-vision™

matt, you really know your portable players! i gotta tell you i was disappointed that the new iriver tiny player was only 1G! there's a bit of speculation that if apple get enough interest in video that the future ipods will have recording capability. joy to the world!
i will post a new version of my ancient video since it mentions my old, old website domain that got taken by some other billa out there *sighs* the new version of will have the url of the old site ima relaunching on a new domain...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always