Page:
Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
just wondering if there's any london knitters, or potential knitters out there.

i was supposed to be doing some at spitz last wekk, but unsurprisingly i forgot and spent the evening in a drug fuelled stupor!

just in case you didn't realise...

1. knitting IS cool - yes i know most of you aren't worried about being cool (ha ha) but despite this, you stil might enjoy it. as an example, i made a really nice gothy jumper that only took a day to knit & cost me about £3. so there.

2. yes. boys can knit too.

so if anyone thinks it'll be worth my while then just pm me. if not then i'm condemned to being that weird girl on the bus frown

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
oops i forgot about this thread

Written by: Skully

I might have a go at that. I have loads of red fleece here if you would like some to line it for uber warmth

Thanks for the offer, sounds like a good idea, i've got lots of pink fleece somewhere so i'll give it a try with that!

Written by: OWD

I've always assumed slip-stitch to be the one where you put the hook through the fabric, and then pull the wool straight through both the fabric and the loop on the hook.

Yep thats what i mean

Written by: OWD

If that's what you used, then well done- I find that stitch to be quite difficult to get any speed with (I find single-crochet ie hook through fabric, pull wool through, then wrap yarn round hook and pull through both loops on hook, to be my favourite, and a good compromise in speed and texture quality).

I know what you mean, it was rather tedious and difficult to get into a good rhythm. It was before i had learned to double-crochet as you described above, since learning that i have made lots of hats and its so quick, juts a couple of hours and for a more conventional hat shape only about an hour.

I was thinking about selling them on ebay but with the amount of time and materials they would end up being £20ish and I'm not sure that people would be willing to pay that

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: .:star:.

I know what you mean, it was rather tedious and difficult to get into a good rhythm. It was before i had learned to double-crochet as you described above, since learning that i have made lots of hats and its so quick, juts a couple of hours and for a more conventional hat shape only about an hour.

The slip-stitch does look good in the pics of your pixie-hat though:

since learning the double-crochet stitch, have you made any more pixie hats using it? And, if so, does it work as well? (in terms of texture and how the hat looks, rather than speed in making it).

------------------

Has anyone made bags out of crochet? particularly bags made to carry moderately heavy stuff, rather than little hand-bag type ones.

I'm wanting to make a small/medium size bag to fit 3 diabolos, a set of handsticks, 5 beanbags, a contact ball, a set of poi and a water bottle.

I know that it can be fairly compact, as I've already got a small rucksack that they pack into really well- I'm wondering if a crocheted bag using two strands of wool together, will give a bag that won't get pulled out of shape by the contents.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Pixie hat, double crochet

The black is a single chain through the blue. It has helped the hat maintain a good fit around the head

Non-Https Image Link

Pixie hat, extra thick wool (work in progress, one ball is clearly not enough!) double crochet

Non-Https Image Link

Chunky wool, simple hat, double crochet

I have found the dc hats to be slightly more stretchy and aren't as rigid. The single crochet hat feels felty and holds its shape better.

I was thinking about bags and i think one way to keep the shape would be to line the bag so that the crochet is more cosmetic and the lining fabric holds the shape.
EDITED_BY: .:star:. (1135223458)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I've been making Pixie hats too, Star. I've been using double stitch and found that if you make the person the hat is for wear the hat for a bit with damp hair it takes to the shape of their head. I hadn't thought of putting in single stitch over the top to hold the shape after its formed though. I might give that a go.

I've been making baby ones too that have a much more bulbous look to them with a little sticky up point on the top. I sent Edan and Taj one each for Christmas. Maybe they could model them and show us what they look like ubblol They all come out very individual, which I love.

OWD as for the bag, have you tried cotton yarn? I find it a little less stretchy than wool in you use single stitch. I did, a very long time ago, make a friend a crochet bag in double stitch which I then wove ribbon through the holes of crisscrossing back and forth in a pattern. That got rid of the stretch and made it fairly ridged in shape.

How about getting real wool (no man made fibres at all) and crocheting a bag a bit larger than you want then boil wash it a few times in a machine with some Velcro (hook side) or a scouring pad or two. That should shrink it a little and felt it up...... might make it stronger. I'll see if I can get any sheep wool in town and give it a go. I'll report back.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Ooh I want a pixie hat, they look loverly star biggrin

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
perhaps we should sell our wares at Play 2? smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
What colour do you want Jemmie Jem Jem? I'm sure it can be arranged biggrin

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I thought i would post this link as it is a really great summary of the different crochet stitches and has a conversion table for American and English notation. I found it incredibly useful.

now i can make

Non-Https Image Link

biggrin

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Oooooooo pretty. Make loads of them and stitch them all together to make an odd shaped unique scarf!

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I got my hat this morn skully its perfect i have my very own hat stylist ubblol

usb cables are great improvied tape measures

bounce bounce bounce bounce biggrin

ooh, i must get a crochet hook and book.............

EDITED_BY: jemima (jem) (1135875370)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
aww Jem!!! ubblove you look so cute in your hat!!! hug like a real pixie!!!!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
could someone please make me a pixie hat. smile

i will be very thankfull if they do and will give them lots of hugs along with some money i spose.

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
https://www.strangebuttrewe.com/peniscozypattern.pdf

what do you reckon?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Wow that was fast. Royal mail really had it's skates on yesterday. It got Miranda's Hoop to her in one day as well!

I hope you like the colour hun. If not, like I said before, find some wool you like and send it to me and I'll make you another.

Yoni measure your head at its widest point and give me an idea of the colour you want.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
thanks skully hug
i'll give u the details when i know

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
how do you guy's do this so fast?? i've been attempting to make a pixie hat for ages now, and i still haven't finished one... granted i keep undoing it all and starting again, i'm too perfectionist about the shape.... and because i don't really need lots of hats, i just like the crochetting... isn't it great to unravel it all and start again? biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i dont know if you guys buy Simply Knitting magazine ( i do its great!).
I've been really excited about knitting a jumper which i saw the pattern for in there. Anyway i've got to the stage where i want to buy the wool...it's £6.75 per ball! I need 14 balls!!!
grr, i hate the fact wool is so expensive. you may as well buy a jumper from a shop which defeats the whole point! Grrr!!!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Jo hun, what type of wool is it..... Double knit, aran, 4ply, that fluffy furry stuff ..? If you find out what type of wool it is, maybe you can make it up with something similar that's not so expensive.

I do agree with you though, some wool is so expensive it almost prohibits the point of knitting the things yourself. As you say, you may as well just buy the garment from a shop.

I think this is why we have to come up with ingenious ideas to turn cheap balls of wool into something exciting.

Good luck in finding a substitute yarn hug

I just found this site that has loads and loads of wool.... even Alpaca wool! I haven't looked at prices yet. I'm still stuck at the staring at the rainbow colours stage ubblol

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: jo_rhymes

i dont know if you guys buy Simply Knitting magazine ( i do its great!).
I've been really excited about knitting a jumper which i saw the pattern for in there. Anyway i've got to the stage where i want to buy the wool...it's £6.75 per ball! I need 14 balls!!!
grr, i hate the fact wool is so expensive. you may as well buy a jumper from a shop which defeats the whole point! Grrr!!!

Real wool is totally impractical for making jumpers etc on a budget. As you say, you can buy ready-made jumpers far cheaper than knitting one yourself.

An alternative is to do to Dept.stores and markets, where you can buy acrylic-based wool for £1 to £2 a ball.

I don't know how well it works in jumpers (anyone here used acrylic wool for jumpers?), but, for the hats or juggling balls that I tend to focus one, it's fine, and much more affordable.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
the wool i want is Rowan Biggy Print. Grrrr!! (but it's so lovely!)

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
on a different note, shall we knit this for Froggy??

Non-Https Image Link

1,643 posts

Posted:
oh yeah, i was looking at fat wool in the wool shop t'other day and it was a similar price.... There is another place called Shaws though, i don't know if they have it everywhere, but it sells things like towels and pants and wool, cheap wool, in mahusive balls too. It's not real wool either though... I could always kidnap you a sheep, plenty around, but 14 sheep might be a bit of a challenge....

Also in aforementioned wool shop i found a book called Knitorama by someone called Rachel Matthews, if you see it, have a look, it's got knitting patterns for all sorts of strange things like flying ducks and pants and pints.... biggrin

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Pretty Miss Star forwarded me to this webpage.
Does some lovely thick chucky wool, and a range of others, in looooads of different colours.
I've ordered from them twice before, they're relitivly cheap, and the delivery was less than a week, only difference is I don't knit with it, like Star - I put it in my hair biggrin

1,643 posts

Posted:
he he, first yarn i saw on the webpage aimee mentioned is called firecracker! biggrin

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
This is my new gnome! Finished at 10am this morning! smile

Non-Https Image Link

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
ubblol He is fabulous! You should make loads of them and sell them hun!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
hehe, thanks Skully kiss ubblove thankx
i would but he took me AAAAAAAAGES!! i will make loads more, i think he's great. what do you think i should call him?
ubblol

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Alfonco Gruntfuttock

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
how about Alfie, for short? biggrin

1,643 posts

Posted:
he is one cool gnome dude! nice one biggrin

Page: