Forums > Other Toys > Fire fans - storage and care etc

Login/Join to Participate

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I've searched and trawled til i can no longer search or trawl.

I'm looking into buying a pair of fire fans soon, and I have some questions...

1. How do you care for them properly? i.e. storage after a burn, replacing wicks etc
2. How do you prepare them for a first burn? (do the wicks need soaking?)
3. How do you dip them properly? (all at the same time or one wick at a time?)
also any other care instructions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance smile

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I've never had to replace the wicks on any of the fire fans I build / use, admittidly the longest fire fan build of mine currently in service is only around a year and a half old, although they don't tend to get the physical abuse that staff / poi or swinging / non swinging fire tool tethered or non tethered gets.

The design I use is based largely upon the fire finger design i use, being a one piece unit with the kevlar held in place by a helix, and thus doesn't lend itself to wick replacement.

Care, similar / same as any kevlar based fire tool, imersion in fuel (parafin / kero) post burn, i try and seal each head with small sandwich bags, or if in hurry to pack up post performance they go temporarily into large carrier bags.

Preparation, i think its been established more or less that conditioning wicks is not particularly neccessary, thats not to say I don't, soaking wise I treat them similar to any other kevlar based fire tool.

Dipping, varies a little, current preference small jar / metal container if concerned about heat breakages one wick at a time, wicks / whole fan can then be spun / shaken off into a large carrier bag.

mark

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
great cheers for that biggrin hug

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Show us a fire fan video once you can use them lit tinkle, fire fans are cool but you dont see many vids of them. IVe only seen one so far and it wasnt all that good, the film was on its side for some reason too *shrugs*

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?