Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > Atomcraft: Basic atom theory and positions

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hello everyone!

I wrote this as a birthday present to everyone on the board, so I hope you like it.

sorry its a bit lateinnished but had some trouble uploading the images...

anyway, let the extreame geekery comence!

basic atom craft

this essay is an attempt to describe clearly the basic movement principles when attempting to spin a stable atomic structure.

:P

i do not wish to get too bogged down in terminology, and therefore have invented my own for the most part. The main reason for this is that atoms are a paradime shift and are nearly impossible to explain in terms of ‘weave’ ect without serious misunderstanding. instead i will describe the principles with a few invented terms and we can worry about what to call them later.

this is just an overview of the physical possibilities and postures, it is in no way describing any one ‘trick’ or combination.

I am just a map.

ubbloco

Section I- Very Basic theory

how do we break up the atom into understandable chunks? lets start with the intersection. this is where the two planes of the atom cut each other. this intersection can be horizontal or vertical, or anything in-between but the position relative to the body changes its behaviour.

now, lets split again. what about movement in relation to the intersection?

you can move around the intersection, following the atoms rotational symmetry

or you can move over or across the intersection. these two principles are illustrated in the link below.

the basics

The difference between the horizontal and vertical atom is that the horizontal atom is easily moved over the intersection but not around the intersection. the reverse is true for the vertical atom.

The Atom Diagram

here

This is my atom model, it its useful for describing and thinking about atomic states. note that in these models the body rotates around the atom, but of course this translates directly into moving the atom around the body.

How the planes interact.

any atom can be in one of two states

Mesh

the poi travel in the same direction at the intersection.

Clash

the poi travel in the opposite direction at the intersection.

plane interactions

notice in the diagram of clash one hand is holding the tail of the arrow, behind the intersection, and the other hand is holding the head, next to the arrow.

these two interactions have been called butterfly and weave. but these terms are obsolete, as will bee seen in the next section.

a final set of variables for the model

there are three main variations for the hand positions.

hand positions

thease are basic in the extreame, but they are in fact the minium hand positions you must use to use atom. and its easier to model this way.

so now we can model the atom, we have its intersection, our movement relative to that, the planes interaction to each other and the position of our hands. so! how does it work?

Section II - Basic Application

Movement Around the Intersection (Vertical Atoms)

the vertical atom has two directions this depends on weather you are above or below the intersection, because (i think) you cant change that with vertical atoms.

vertical atoms

as you move around an atom the state changes from mesh to clash with every plane transition, every sector.

As you can see the differences in the directions are that in one the clash crosses and the mesh is open and the reverse is true for the other. atoms do like to balance.

you can transition two planes to stay in the same state, or you can transition 1 plane/hand and change the state. note also how all positions can be brought inside no matter the outside hand positions.

Movement over the Intersection (Horizontal Atoms)

like vertical atoms, horizontal has two directions, and two states, clash and mesh

below is a diagram showing the positions for each direction in the mesh state.

horisontal

note the difference, the vertical atoms go ‘mesh open’ to ‘mesh open’, but horizontal ones go ‘mesh open’- inside- ‘mesh crossed’. these can all be turned, and an over the head open mesh atom forwards becomes a crossed mesh atom backwards, in other words twist your arms as you turn your body, then bring the atom inside again.

Section III- Conclusions confusions and carry outs

we can see now that atoms only have two directions, around and across the intersection, and these directions encompass both of the states of clash and mesh. I think is may be possible to traverse the intersection in a vertical atom, and likewise for the horizontal. but i haven't managed to model it yet.

Also not so far included in this model is the concept of time, the poi’s orbits in relation to each other, suffice to say that in mesh the poi may follow any time freely and clash the poi must be same time to pass each other (arashi calls this ‘crane’) or otherwise be ‘woven’ by twisting and untwisting the wrists with the changes of direction. these are not massively theoretically complex but very hard to visualise in the imagination.

changes in direction are odd, although the atom is split into 4 parts, to change direction means to jump two parts at once, and to move one quadrant is to change the state of the atom and not its direction.

hyperloops are still in development within the model, but I am fairly certain that they act by swapping both planes through 90 degrees and thereby crossing the intersection, but maybe not. that's to go home with.

I hope you find this model helpful, by no means have i mapped everything about atoms, for instance half-in half-out positions are possible and unexplored here. It is an attempt to clarify and describe a very muddy and ill defined area. I am only a Map

happy birthday.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
 Written by: [Nx?

]how do we break up the atom into understandable chunks?

Has anyone made the joke about splitting the atom yet? ubblol

This is going to take a while to wrap my head around, I can tell. Thanks for taking the time, guys. I've been meaning on taking on atoms for a while...

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
the diagrams are really difficult to decipher if you don't know where you're starting from, dimensionally.

Think of basic butterfly, but instead of keeping both circles in one plane in front of you, each hand will rotate on a different plane, perpendicular to each-other.

With butterfly, it's like you could put the shape on the wall, that's the plane. With atom, the it's like a corner, one hand for each wall.

...I could also be off base... can someone corroborate my metaphor?

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
In the end of this vid I do some very simple Atomics, I dont even cross them but you can clearly se how the planes is going. I will make i vid in the uppcomming days where I do some atomic weave, flowers, antispin atmic flowers and more biggrin

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vlfHV7kbxms

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
nice to see the switch from clean planes to atoms

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Page: