Forums > Social Chat > I am the luckiest man EVER!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I just got HIT BY A CAR while biking home. Not only am I completely uninjured, but the bike is completely undamaged. But the dumb b!tch's grill got broken by my bike pedal. She deserved it, too.

I was biking along the sidewalk and she was pulling up to the mouth of a driveway. She came to a complete stop, I passed in front of her, still on the sidewalk, and she started to move forward! I wasn't six inches from the front of her car! I mean, this is broad daylight, I was square in front of her, the only reason she didn't see me was because she wasn't looking forward. And so she hit me! And I screamed out "GEEZ" and she slammed on the breaks and jumped out of her car apologizing all over the place.

I just said that it was OK and that I wasn't hurt and that my bike was OK (which is amazing, because my leg SHOULD have been crushed between my bike and her bumper) and got out of there before I had time to get angry. But her grill is busted in from my bike pedal. Maybe she'll remember to look ahead when starting to move in that direction!

I can't believe I'm not having a morphine drip placed right about now, rather than sitting in the comfort of my own home.

Unfrigginbelievable. My guardian angel is going to get an extra Christmas bonus for this, I tell ya.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:

OH MY GOD...
Im so glad that you are ok... People pay NO attention to what they are doing anymore, they just get into their car and go into AUTO mode...
You must have been really shaken up... here are some big hugs and kisses for you Mike... I hope you feel loads better...
and an extra angel to help you out....MUAH

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Wow - you are lucky!

Similar thing happened to me when I was about 15. I was cruising along the footpath when a mercedes reversed uber fast out of their driveway and directly into me. I was thrown about 4 metres and into a spiky bush. Tore a 10cm gash in my leg and twisted up my (aunt's : : ) mountain bike.

I think I must have been in shock, cos I got up, picked up the bike and started walking... the guy was pretty unsympathetic "You shouldn't be riding on the footpaths blah blah blah"

The second I walked in the front door of my home, I burst into tears and had the shakes for ages!

Worse than that though, was someting that happened to our beloved Dangerboy earlier this year: he was riding on the road at night when a woman opened her car door on him. He smashed into her door, totalled his bike and completely shattered his hand. After having surgery and a few days in hospital, he now has a steel plate in his hand... BUT in true dangerboy style, he was off fire dancing again within the month!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
I am really glad to know that you're okay!! I had to take a friend to the emergency room after receiving a concusion from a biking accident. she doesn't even know what happened to her, but her helmet was broken. We can never assume that people are watching for us, though it seems if you're right in front of them, they should have their eyes open!! Be careful out there and remember to wear your helmet. Unfortunately we've gotta be on the lookout for drivers who do NOT know how to share the road... Take care and thank goodness it was only a close call! Good job on bending her grill!! Hopefully she will be more careful in the future. safe riding!

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
hey good to hear your ok. i once got hit by a car, i was sk8in down the road when i heard a honk like right behind me. just as i looked back the car mirror cliped me in the ribs, i flew onto the pavement and just as i looked back i saw my sk8 get run over by the back tires, after shaken my head and thinking i should be in pain, i got up to find not a skrach on me, and my sk8 was fine, i got to give credit to element sk8boards, they were my favorite deck before this happend and this put them up there to stay. my friend who saw this happen told me the car ran right over the middle of the deck.
the person didnt even slow down either. must of been having a bad day too cuz i was in the bike lane.

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Thank Jesus you're OK!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ohh, i'm so glad ur ok!

Hope ur not too shaken up

Peace & Love, Kyri

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Mike - sounds like you need to buy a lottery ticket.

Hope you're ok.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Believe it or not, I was just pissed off. I had left school at 5:30, having been there since 8AM, so I'm always pissed when I leave school after about 3:00 and I was 2.5 hours past pissed off.

So I just wanted to get home, change, and go swimming, and I was pissed that this prize idiot had ruined my momentum.

I don't think it ever hit me how close I was to serious injury, and frankly, I'm happy in blissful ignorance.

-Mike

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
*hugz*
good to hear your angel is watching over... xoxoxoxox

Currently on the right side up of the world.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
And thank you all so much for your hugs and concern. It means a lot to me.

-Mike

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Here's some more hugs and concern. Glad you're okay.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
I'm glad your ok. I almost got hit by one of my coworkers on my first day at work. I was crossing the road when she came flying through the turnaround. Thank God I heard the tire squeal before she got completely through or I wouldn't have had a first day at work
and

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
You must have a pretty strong energy field hunny - the car bounced off you!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
are you allowed to ride on the footpaths? its illegal over here, but still...
hugs and concern for you AND your angel!!!

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
Sending ya a BIG hug
Good to hear your ok mate, remember what goes around comes around- She'll get her comeuppance!!

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Riding your bike on the sidewalk is legal here, Ad.

Taking pot-shots at bikers on the side-walk with your car isn't legal here.

BTW, I didn't even get knocked off my bike (which is good, because it was raining on and off and that would have been icky), but a law student friend of mine said I should have rolled around on the ground just to make her mess her pants a bit more.

[ 16. November 2002, 05:45: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike

Tobenmember
7 posts

Posted:
So you get through Stanford without a bike wreck and manage to find one somewhere else? Thats one heck of a trick Mike.
Glad to hear that you are ok.

-Toben

Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
So glad you're ok. It could have been so different. I know a guy who is paralysed from the shoulders down from a similar incident. Your guardian is doing a fantastic job today.

Are we nearly there yet?

Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
Good to hear your alright, thats a close one, my buddy was going down a hill once behind a car and the car stopped dead in the middle of the street, well put 2 and 2 together, he hit the back bumper, destroyed his bike and slid on his face for a good 10 to 20 feet, he had really bad road rash on his face and arms, but remarkabley they all healed fairley quickey... and no stitches

i don't believe in luck, but something was around you man, you definately got a story of a day, you got more tolerance than i have by far. i would've torn apart her car with my bare hands. then i have no idea what i would've said to her

Dicipline Focus Damage

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Toben:
So you get through Stanford without a bike wreck and manage to find one somewhere else? Thats one heck of a trick Mike.
Glad to hear that you are ok.

Hee hee! Actually, I fell off my bike and broke my hand at Stanford.

-Mike

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
You're NOT hooked up to a morphine drip?

Ah well.......not the luckiest man on the planet I'm afraid

Good news u aint dead tho, but 6 inces worth of acceleration would of only crushed your leg if it had been a guy driving.......women being more considerate, sensible and altogether boring drivers - lol

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I dunno, Smallboy. Maybe in England the women are safer, but in the U.S., women drivers scare me silly! *ducking and running giggling away from the sudden horde of American HOPer women chasing after me with blood in their eyes*

And my view is that being hooked up to a morphine drip isn't all that hot, since they never really make you pain-free enough to sit back and enjoy it.

One of my rules for life is that I will never recreationally use a drug that I might get in the hospital.

-Mike

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
good rule. altho i admit one of the better expieriences in my life was demerol. it was't recreational tho, so it's all good. the only good thing that ever came out of teh emergency room IMO. Oddly, that was the night i walked around bleeding on all their equiptment complaining that it hurt and no one would listen to me.... but i think mebbe demerol was worth the wait

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
You're about as lucky as I am...I've been hit while on my bike 3 times!

One was a minor bump, someone making a right on red, not lookin' and their front bumper dented my rim, but I made a sacrifice roll in the middle of the intersection and was OK.

Second time someone literally ran me off the road on purpose, I did a little back flip onto a broken-up asphalt driveway. Left some gouges in my back and I was pickin' gravel outta the wounds for an hour, but it miraculously healed up without any scars.

Third time, a woman in an Toronado (big lead-sled of a car) ran straight through a red light and swept the bike out from under me. I ended up on her hood, till she realized what happened and stopped - which of course sent me sailing onto the street again. A few bumps & scrapes, and yet again, no major injuries. And I got a new bike and a romantic dinner out of it.

So now I wear a helmet!

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus:
Third time, a woman in an Toronado (big lead-sled of a car) ran straight through a red light and swept the bike out from under me. I ended up on her hood, till she realized what happened and stopped - which of course sent me sailing onto the street again. A few bumps & scrapes, and yet again, no major injuries. And I got a new bike and a romantic dinner out of it.

So now I wear a helmet!

I wear a helmet after I fell off my bike in college and broke my hand. I also had a huge lump on the side of my head after that, and I realized that it could have been a lot worse, so I started wearing a helmet. It's funny...if you wear a helmet, you don't fall off your bike. Sort of how if you carry an umbrella, it doesn't rain..

Now, about the romantic dinner...THAT'S balls. Nice going!

-Mike

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i'll be wearing a helmet too, if i ever get back on a bike that is. The summer before last I was racing a friend down a hill on a rather dodgy mountain bike and after a bit of air time, on landing both the chain came off and the seat support snapped, sending me into a superman impression which landed me an impressive distance from where I took off from.

After bleeding all over the pavement from countless wounds for 10 minutes and being taken off in an ambulance, the doctor who was doing my stiches made me promise to always wear a helmet in future (come to think of it, he also tried getting me to buy shares in a private medical company, but that's another story altogether). I've never given it much thought before, but someone died in hospital a couple of rooms down from me whilst I was there, having been knocked off his bike on the same stretch of road. Having managed to walk out of the hospital an hour later I really don't think I should piss about too much anymore as far as bikes are concerned!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:

I would like to personally thank your angel and hug you. I am so glad you weathered that one well my friend, and am so grateful for your presence here with us! Perhaps you are just the angel and can't be touched!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Pele, I'm no angel. But I'm glad that I came out of it in one piece.

Hey, how many people you know can say they've gone hand-to-hand with a car and WON?

-Mike

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
Hey man, glad ur OK. What the frik was she doin? Good to know that my friends were watchin over you at the time. Just don't think that we're there all the time. UR NOT INVINCIBLE!!! i hate when they start thinkin that, p*sses me off.

Any how, work to do, poems to write, poi to spin.
Luv an lollipops

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrian:
good rule. altho i admit one of the better expieriences in my life was demerol. it was't recreational tho, so it's all good. the only good thing that ever came out of teh emergency room IMO. Oddly, that was the night i walked around bleeding on all their equiptment complaining that it hurt and no one would listen to me.... but i think mebbe demerol was worth the wait
Demerol, eh? The only opioid painkiller I've ever been on was coedine after they pulled my ingrown toenail (they gave me the Tylenol III after I broke my arm, but I didn't need it then, so I saved it...and found it quite effective when they neglected to give me any painkillers after they pulled my toenail). Didn't do much except took the edge off the pain.

Now, when I had LASIK done, they gave me Ativan (similar to Valium). See, now THAT was fun. I've never been so relaxed in my entire life. I'm such a type A personality and I was totally type B for a few hours there.

"We're going to put suction on your eyeball now."
"Right on, man."

"We're going to remove your left testicle with a rusty, dull bread knife now."
"Thaz cool."

(No, they didn't actually SAY that last part ...but that was about how I felt in general...)

Seriously, when you're on Valium or Ativan, it's alllll good...

-Mike

Page: