Forums > Social Chat > The Official 2006 World Cup in Germany Thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I know its early but I'm sooooo excited! So I felt the need to make a post rambling about some of the selection stuff.

First off no-one seemed to mention England loosing to Northern Ireland, which was just sad guys.... good for Northern Ireland, yes, they played well, but the British arn't getting it together (When do they ever in qualifyers tho? biggrin)

In SA Brazil and Argentina are of course qualified but the other (2/3) spots are still quite open... (rather open, whatever). I'm rooting for UY (still the smallest country to ever win a world cup! w00t!) but of course my preferences just don't count do they? tongue

Back to europe (the only other zone that matters tongue) Ukrane qualifying was a big surprise... cool tho... don't know anyone from there but if your about you should make yourself known! smile
CZE looks great, again. I'm pulling for them at least a little.
And croatia is looking decent. This is an impressive one.... my familys from thereabouts smile
austria, on the other hand, is sucking. which makes me sad.
Other than that I noted poland is doing pretty well (and britain still has to play them tongue)

Anyone else have anything to say?

biggrin

can't wait.... i really wish i could be in a country that actually televises the d*mn thing.....

bounce

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
And us Canucks have our knickers in knots over the hockey game tonight tongue I watched the first half of the USA-Italy game, and could NOT believe what was happening! Two red cards within minutes of one another! (The second on the US which didn't seem appropriate at ALL I must add). After that I was cheering for the Americans, because it seemed that Italy was playing pretty dirty! Wish I could have seen the second half, but I'm astonished it ended in 1-1. Jeeeebus.

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Congrats USA for the point. But you threw away a big chance.

I havent seen Italy play anywhere near this bad in years (and Ive seen 6 Italy games this year alone). They played like a headless pub team, forgot all their strength of impenetratable defense covering the room and very fast offensive play. The own goal and the red card apparently just blew their mind.

Did the US tap into that historic opportunity ? NO, they answered a useless hard midfield foul with another useless hard midfield foul, all 3 red cards were absolutely justified.

Italy even got one very promising attack blown off as offside which it wasnt (generally the US offside trap worked well), while the USA offside "goal" was very clearly offside as the player ducking the ball was hindering the goalee.

So agree, group E has become a surprise now. But because Italy and Czech played extremely bad, not because US an Ghana were any much strong. The worst games so far ...

Thinking now that the ABCD groups (top teams making it to their semi) is FAR stronger than EFGH (second semi), except Brazil and unless Italy recovers -which I guess it will.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I think ghana-cze is the craziest upset so far, altho the italy-us game is certainly a surprise. And then Mexico tying with angola was frickin crazy as well. And then Korea tied France... right...

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ZeroG

Congrats USA for the point. But you threw away a big chance.

That was totally my fault. I was just tired and made some stupid mistakes.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
brazil beat us frown

no big suprise there really eek wink biggrin ubblol

I think we play croatia on friday

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
And we can totally take Croatia!!!!

BRING IT ON!!!!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
As much as we'd like to believe in fairytales we couldn't realistically think that we could be the worlds best!! They put in a effort which was good and should hold us in good stead for Crotia! There loss certainly didn't help my Fantasy league team one little bit. angry Damn fantasy league. ubblol bounce2 bounce bounce2

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Yay, Germany just won 3-0 against Equador biggrin And thank God Ballack didn't get another yellow card! ubbrollsmile

And I believe Poland won 2-1 against Costa Rica.

Just a quick update...

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Yay!!! bounce bounce2 bounce

Didn't see it, but got most of it on the radio... except when they switched to horseracing rolleyes

2 more days and I'll be in Germany and watching the footie on the big screen on the Schlossplatz in Stuttgart biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ecuador was, erm... well, motivations were speculated on wink

nice goals by germany tho.

and england tied sweden... moving on to tomorrow, ....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
Paraguay vs Trinidad and Tobago 2-0
Sweden vs England 2-2

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Psycho_lemming

Paraguay vs Trinidad and Tobago 2-0
Sweden vs England 2-2

Were you posting that for people that don't have the internet?

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
yep nana he he
hug

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Hey, I am actually away from the internet for parts of the day tongue

And sometimes at work I have to use the internet to check the score because i can't see the tv... altho i could hear the commentary at the time...

er... what AM i babbling about?

And seeing myself quoted in two of the top posters signatures was making me batty for awhile... hmm, maybe not making... I miss bender!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
oh my gods

harry's cleared to play for australia against croatia...

eek smile ubbrollsmile

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
On Equador's motivation... well! I'm not sure why they'd prefer England to Sweden (or Trinidad...), I'd say they're both doable (though England more now Owen's out, but they couldn't have known that).

But this way Miro might get the most goals in, and every bit of confidence from winning matches is good biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Ecuador wanted to save forces ... and not to forget, those guys all play local league for like 300$/month, so I am sure they want to leave an as good impression as in the first games against England ...

While Germany is getting ever better and is driven by huge enthusiasm, I think Sweden is manageable if our defense holds (watch standards!) but

I am really getting scared of Argentina (1/4s) so tonight GO HOLLAND GO!

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Oh no, not another Germany-Holland or Germany-Argentina!

At least Jens Lehmann is ace at the penalties wink

(G.W. Dahlquist)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Argentina was not entirely inspiring, and the netherlands arn't half bad.... tomorrow is the big crazy set of games where everything is up in the air tho!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Who said the US was overrated? We scored TWO whole goals this tournament which is two more than we did 8 years ago!

And it's also been 8 consecutive years without losing to IRAN!

GO TEAM! wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
bounce bounce2 clap beerchug

Australia is through to round 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hyper excited after this morning's (in our neck of the woods) game...

We've never been to round 2!!!

I'm freakin excited... ubblol biggrin ubbrollsmile bounce bounce2 clap

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
I have seen the future!!

Ghana won the world cup.. eek

PS. Aussieaussieaussie! bounce bounce2

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Why are there no updated brackets? Do you people not do brackets? There are clearly brackets that should be partially filled in now. BBC, FIFA, ESPN... no brackets!

What is wrong with you people?!

I shouldn't need a slide rule to see who the winner of the Ghana/Brasil game will play next! I know how to figure it out but would it be so hard to make some partially filled brackets?

At least make it look like March Madness and maybe we'll pay attention. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeah, and in march madness they don't change from "round of 16" to "QUARTER finals" either tongue

But yeah well. God, it did take me like 5 minutes to verify that australia was really through tho.... I suppose I could have used my google homepage but didn't feel like logging in.... google does make things very easy tho, and so does the fantasy premier league home page tongue

tomorrow is it, we figure out who the last what the hell is going on in g bit, and (hopefully) confirm the ukraine in h...... looking forward to this madness smile

i still can't wait for the england ecuador match!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
p.s. : https://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/bracket.html

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well done.

Have a cookie.

Non-Https Image Link

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
So as the World Cup moves on to round 2, maybe time for another lookout.

May 30, before the start, I had foreseen here:

Written by:

AF1: Germany - Sweden

AF2: Argentina – Portugal

AF3: England- Poland

AF4: Mexico – Holland

AF5: Italy - Croatia

AF6: France - Ukraine

AF7: Brazil - Czech

AF8: Switzerland - Spain

Thats 13 out of 16 teams picked right from 32 possible, not too bad I guess ...

Congratulations for Australia, Ecuador and Ghana to have made it against my odds and having it well deserved by great games.

Also good that, opposite to WC02, referee decisions have so far been generally correct (including USA-Italy!), only 2 games were decisively misjudged (Frances annihiled 2nd goal against Korea and Ghanas penalty against USA) but none of this decided who got into second round.

As sidenote, the 4 African teams made only 10 points together in 12 games. Thats very disappointing, but also as I'd foreseen. And it should pour cold water on the requests for a 5th African team seat in WCs, raised since Cameroon beat then World Champion Argentina in the opening game in 1990 to only be stopped in overtime of quarter final by lucky Englishmen. With such a poor performance, and teams like Euro Champion Greece, last WC 3rd Turkey, Ireland, Belgium, Russia missing as only 7 Euro teams allowed in, I dont see a justification for that additional African seat, as much as I like the athletic African play.

Brazil remains the team to beat, they always have seen the 1st round as warmup and their potential seems to justify that arrongance, as they got 20 player who can turn around a game in 15 minutes.

Argentina and Spain are impressively strong, so is Germany backed by huge enthusiasm.

So what's next ? I see now coming after very tough next games: (2 of those 4 forseen in May)

QF1: Germany-Argentina (AHRRR ... closet patriot starts praying)

QF2: Italy-Switzerland

QF3: England-Portugal (remember 04)

QF4: Brazil-Spain

SF1: Germany-Italy (closet patriot prayes again)

SF2: Portugal-Brazil

Final: Germany-Brazil ( ... and again)

Oh, and we havent seen any violence or hooliganism so far, but huge partying crowds in the stadiums and at the many big screens in our city centres, with fans exchanging trickots and all that Jazz, just great.

Now in the ko rounds, it will get REALLY exciting ...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ZeroG

So as the World Cup moves on to round 2, maybe time for another lookout.

May 30, before the start, I had foreseen here:
 Written by:

AF1: Germany - Sweden
AF2: Argentina – Portugal
AF3: England- Poland
AF4: Mexico – Holland
AF5: Italy - Croatia
AF6: France - Ukraine
AF7: Brazil - Czech
AF8: Switzerland - Spain

Thats 13 out of 16 teams picked right from 32 possible, not too bad I guess ...

Wow, you picked all the best teams to advance and they did. Except for the upsets. Well done.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Wow, you picked all the best teams to advance and they did. Except for the upsets. Well done.

Well, I didnt pick "strong teams" like Korea, USA biggrin who've made semis/quarters last time neither fell for any of the many secret tips ... and it was hard to foresee that top teams like Czech ( and England) get their top strikers injured ...

Anyway, really intersting will be if my prediction for the quaters will stand, where I still see on track 6 of 8 teams and 2 of 4 games ...

The ko round will get exciting, but a distance shot, a wrong offside, a red card or penalty can turn a game upside down instantly ... so let the fun bit commence. smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
If you look at what the odds makers said before the cup:

Latest World Cup Betting Odds
11-4 Brazil, 13-2 England, 7-1 Germany, 8-1 Argentina, Italy 10-1, France 12-1, Spain 14-1, Netherland 18-1, Portugal 20-1, Czech Republic* 28-1, Sweden 40-1, Mexico 50-1, Croatia*, Ukraine 66-1, Poland, Ivory Coast* 80-1, Switzerland 100-1, Serbia & Montenegro, U.S.A. 125-1, Australia, Ecuador 150-1, Japan, Paraguay 250-1, Ghana 300-1, South Korea, Tunisia 400-1, Angola, Togo 500-1, Costa Rica & Iran, 750-1 Saudi Arabia 1,000-1 Trinidad&Tobago.

You absolutely picked the exact same teams that every oddsmaker in the world picked to advance. Well done.

13 of the top 16 advanced. The three that did not were ranked 10, 13 and 16th. Hardly upsets.

Can you look into your crystal ball and tell me who you like in the Brasil-Ghana game? wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: