Page:
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
So, Orbit was all like: "was some of the best spinning I'v ever seen. (and yes I've seen uk spinners)" in da BM thread.

And I was like: meditate

Obviously, this only applies to poi spinning, cos lets face it, america is crap at staff. wink

It just made me think of a couple of things like:

Poi doesn't have a well defined weird technical cousin, like we do. (Baton Twirlers) They can use martial art influences, but not as directly as we can. (At least I haven't heard of any actual poi based martial weapons, though rope-dart, and nunchucks can be both be applied somewhat.)

Secondly, unlike in poi land, we don't have annoying beacons of ancient technical mastery like Arashi. Thank the lord. Kyle Maclean is the closest thing we have. (And why can't he hurry up with that?)

But like uk poi land, we do have a continent of technical rivals: not america, but Australia. Unfortunately Australia seems to be populated with out of plane doubles spinning girlies doing girly australian doubles, and not advancing the technical envelope. Or at least, this is the analogy to uk-poi-land. Where we are haveily influenced and in fact part of the juggling (OMG quick change that to Object Manipulation!) scene, over in australia, they've realised that juggling is geeky and have gone for the dancing side. (Apart from ben-ja-men who have just closed his eyes to the world and decided to pose.) Or at least this is how i think it is like over in australia.

Was there any point to this post, apart from offending everyone on hop? No. I don't think so.

I'm off to go and organise the welcoming in of winter.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I get the impression they're also quite good at finger spinning and throws.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
exactly

girl stuff

wink

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
See, I've discovered that the American brand of sarcasm, is like ours bit without the wink at the end to illustrate that it's not an insult, it's just sarcasm.

So in their form, they just insult you, or some other random group, and don't add any clues for you to guess that it's sarcasm and not an insult. Good eh! Much superior to our form.

I guess I've learned too much from arashi.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
aha!
so thats where i've been going wrong.

hmm

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I would be inclined to disagree, I much prefer the british, whom you can tell are insulting you (or not) without five years of personal knowledge or a large amount of blatent sterotyping.....

I agree about batons tho...

throws are not girly! you throw a [censored] heavy stick several stories in the air, and don't kill yourself with it tongue thats not girly. thats manly, like all other methods of injuring oneself with blunt objects.....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

Good eh! Much superior to our form.

which was sarcastic.

But I didn't use any cues to let you know that. Clever huh. It was almost like I meant it.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
O.O

*ck a duck....

Megs becoming american....

(Or I'm really [censored] tired. But I'm hoping its the first because that makes me a little less of an idiot. marginally. I clearly havn't hit myself in the head enough times yet today.)

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

Man if you see the video of Faithless's release of insomnia, that has some scary (I assume chinese) formation stuff in it. I wann find the video that stuff came from...

Faithless also have mass gymnastics performed in their video clip for the amazing and beautiful song "I Want More" made up of fotoage originally shot for the for the mass gymnastics movie "A State of Mind"
special stuff!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ZeeBooBRONZE Member
167 posts

Posted:
Faithless vid HERE ...... WOW just watch it & it's amazing, mind blowing am in a state of shock... eek biggrin ubblove

Just because I'm an adult doesn't make me responsible.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
Aaaaaahhhhh...
the peons are finally learning...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
wink
(never get too predictable)

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Written by:

It seems the path laid out for me now, is making up cheese and funny dance moves with a stick.

Looks like the Choreo workshop worked then wink
tee hee
*Vader voice* come Meg.... pchhhhh shhhh........... join me......pchhhhh shhh...in the Cheese Side

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Written by: Knoxious

*Vader voice* come Meg.... pchhhhh shhhh........... join me......pchhhhh shhh...in the Cheese Side

ahh...good... now i know how to represent heavy mechanised breathing using text...

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
muahahhahahaha meg has finally passed into the cheese zone, it happens to us all. technique is dead long live the pointy toes biggrin *

by the way typing on a french keyboqrd is really hard
EDITED_BY: TheHIPS (1127160874)

Viva UGLY STAFF

3,149 posts

Posted:
i hate cheese.
especially runny cheese with blue veins.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Especially when it gets all over your stick.

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
......i was going to go there but decided, no i cant........

ubblol

Ado...... when was the last time you got cheese on your stick ?

wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Depends on whether im doing doubles or not.

ok enough... (gets coat)
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1127220572)

Love is the law.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmmm - misread that as "Gets goat" which was much funnier...

On a side note from Megs first post - there is a lot of uber-poi-ness-which-isn't-poi out there for the learning...

A lot of the acrobatic elements or double chain-whip could be included into poi. Not just the crazy arial stuff, but alot of the rolls and arse-skipping and the like.

Some rope-dart can be incorporated if you use long poi.

Martial arts aside, there's ummm...hmmm...

Arse

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
mcp, I think the thing most people seem to miss in this tech vs dance debate is sport spinning. Like tech to me is more a sport than a dance, as in dance sport or rhythmic gymnastics or exhibition club swinging.

Dunno about ballet, but take the Latin section in sports dancing and it seems completely removed from its salsa or samba origins in that the dancers seem to entirely lack rhythm. So, I think the thing I notice about techie spinners (and I count myself here) is lack of rhythm. Like there are great tricks in rhythmic gymnastics, but from my couch the sport is entirely lacking rhythm.

wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

but take the Latin section in sports dancing and it seems completely removed from its salsa or samba origins in that the dancers seem to entirely lack rhythm. So, I think the thing I notice about techie spinners (and I count myself here) is lack of rhythm. Like there are great tricks in rhythmic gymnastics, but from my couch the sport is entirely lacking rhythm.

hmm, usually i read Stone's posts and go "yeah, yup, that's right, uh huh, you betcha" or similar.

but i totally disagree with every single thing you said in that quote. Latin sports dancers, rhythmic gymnasts and tech spinners lack rhythm???
umm
i'm sorry, but i just don't see where you're coming from at all there.

maybe you have a different definition of 'rhythm' to me... confused

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi simian, to my mind it’s like dance sport has taken the carnival out of samba, for example. Or to put it another way, it’s like comparing the dancing at carnival to a dance sport competition ie. dance sport is very rigid and technical, and you have to count all the time, where as carnival is fun with expression of natural rhythm. In the local dance scene, it's stomping (considered organic ubblol by many) verses melbourne shuffling.

ubbloco

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
On a similair note - the floor discipline of gymnastics never seems to be sync'd to the music, especially rhythmically...
Just random striking of poses (a bit like Ben wink ) which makes me wonder why they bother with the music - they don't with the men and it's more watchable for it...

However, I completely disagree that tech spinners lack rhythm... In my mind tight timing is precisely what makes them tech in the first place

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
don't you mean that they lack an ability to escape their honky-ness?

they don't lack rhythm necessarily, just an ability to move their bodies well with it, not just the poi.

and i'd have to agree there.

(unless they've taken my workshops, which give someone an average of 5% blackness per class; see meg's hair as an example) meg can i use you for my advertising?

"if we can save this spinner, we can save you"

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

I really like this thread, better than the Non-jedi thread, of witch it is a close relative, I must say that megs posts have made me laugh out loud in most places and also made me very thoughtfull...

for me I quit staff years ago because i could see where it was going (technically), couldent be assed getting there and had a load more intresting things to do instead.

I think its true about the baton twirling thing, after seing that lot you get a bit of "why bother?" feeling, but once you start juggling and see thomas dietz you get used to that feeling real quick, infact thats what i like about juggling.

but on reflection, the thing that got me into technical staff in the first place (and you will have to be a really old timer to remeber this!) is a little video by CubeFX called TridentPractice.

this video is still the most techincally impressive contact vid i ever saw and beats the sparkly lycra pants off any skinny baton twirler you care to mention.

just to learn a little of this technique was what inspired me, and later, as i forgot, I thought we were breaking ground, like everyone does, but spinning is just spinning, and someone who has been in the circus from birth was probibly already there when you were still in nappys, again this is what i like about juggling, no goal, no pressure, just play.

also ive been watching fire shows a lot, street shows, I know for a fact that i can beat the ass of any street fire show ive ever seen in europe, but i dont do fire shows, I do juggling shows, at which I suck, and most jugglers will be better than me.

why? because you dont need to be very good to make a good fire show, ypou dont neex to know more than a few contact tricks to wow a crowd, you just need to be able to move well, have confidence and engage with the auidence, skill is not the issue.

skill is for yourself, and if you dont want to spend the time, or enjoy the diciplin, then dont bother...

bill odie (the short fat one who likes birds) said tonight on tv about painting, "its not a job for me, if i dont have any ideas for painting, i dont agonise about it, i have a cup of tea and do something else."

to get more skilled is not a job for me, its a pleasure, and if i dont feel like it i get drunk instead, my job consists of performing, and being as entertaining as i can be, my ideal as a professional juggler is to do a show that only has the three club cascade for its finale and still get paid a lot of money.

this is rambling around as much as the original post (and is quite a bit longer) and so i hope ive kept to the spirit of the thread. Thanks meg and kyle for keeping the staff thing going, and ben too, even if hes a bit weird wink

the tech dance debate?

fuckit, I dance, I tech, i dont do both at the same time.

arashi, you are the whitest person i ever saw, your eyebrows are even blonder than mine, good thing you got that cute ass to wiggle around....

no, i dont know where thats going either...

bedtime...

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Hey I've been doing no-fire street stuff and yeah it really does make you work on the general show skills much much more. Hope I get to see you do one sometime.

Arashi: ubblol

You funny man.

re techies & rhythm:

Written by: Durbs

However, I completely disagree that tech spinners lack rhythm... In my mind tight timing is precisely what makes them tech in the first place

Written by: Arashi

they don't lack rhythm necessarily, just an ability to move their bodies well with it, not just the poi.

Written by: Stone

So, I think the thing I notice about techie spinners (and I count myself here) is lack of rhythm

Written by: Simian

maybe you have a different definition of 'rhythm' to me...

I think there are a few different things here. Firstly there is flow and full body movement and all that jazz. Great stuff. Not for some. All good.

But thinking more about the actual quality rhythm, there are a few factors involved that might lead even people who have indentical tastes to get bogged down in crossed wires and symantic gobbledygook. What make someone say "Man, she got rhthym!"

One way to think about it is Chops & Choose. Take a fictional young drummer (we'll even pretend he's black) just starting out on the road to rhythm. On the one hand he has to get his chops up. This means raw tech. He learns to play really fast rolls. Really get the different sounds down pat. If he works really hard at this he will become a very fast drummer. He will be very tech. He will have good chops. But if he wants to use it as a form of communication he also has to learn to Choose. This means playing the easiest rythym in the world when's it's needed. Maybe sometimes not even hitting the drum at all. Knowing when to do which. But really playing it as it should be in that moment.

There is a big fifference between

chkichkichkichkichkichkichkichkichkichki

and

chki---ch chikchik ch ch-------chkchkchk

The first might be much harder in a sense, but is also much closer to verbal diuria.

And it's really only harder on one level. A very famous dude (maybe Neil Young??) once said

"I like to play with muscians who are not afraid to play simple. That discounts about 95% of them"

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblolHa ha fifference
no way I'm fixing that.

A) it does feel as good

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
forget twirling for a moment, bad rhythm curses one to a life of bad sex.
usually with other people.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol
That puts it all into perspective.
It's also a really big problem when leaping on and off moving trains...

A) it does feel as good

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
As a great dude bass player once said:

"Ain't no such thang as a funky note, There's only a funky space..."

(ubblol out of planes Australian girly spinners ubblol that's me!)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Page: