Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 beat....im confused!

Login/Join to Participate

*Pink Lora*SILVER Member
8 posts

Posted:
me an my mate were messing about trying to turn 180 degrees from a forwards 5 beat to a backwards 5 beat an now i can do a 360degrees turn constantly weaving...if that makes sense...does anyone know what thats called?were in the process of filming so i can post it somewhere at some point....makes u kinda dizzy if you do more than two whole turns at once though....also i can just add an extra turn or two on the end of a normal 5 beat...but we cant work out how many beats it is...also, if anyone is in the north yorks area we may be having a small beach poi/staff etc gathering in scarborough on sunday...if anyone wants to meet up give us a ring or text on 07743719979....or drop us an email smile okay....
happy poiing!!
Lora x

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
It's usually just called a weave turn!

Written by: *Pink Lora*

also i can just add an extra turn or two on the end of a normal 5 beat...but we cant work out how many beats it is...

? what do you mean, do you mean that whilst you are staying facing the same way you can add extra spins on one side or the other to the poi? If so you are adding extra beats.

However I supect you may be doing three beat weaves. To count the beats you count how many circles ONE poi makes within a pattern. If you are adding extra beats to this than it will then probably be a four (extra beat on one side) or five (extra beat on both sides) beat weave. You have to twist your wrist around the other one to do an extra beat.

For an explanation of some of the different weaves, click on the link below.

counting the beats- HoP article

For more information on higher beat weaves (anything over 5 is very difficult and can look ugly) try clicking on the search function- the link opposite 'my home' and typeing in ''7-beat weave'' (or whatever number) and searching in poi moves only.

Hope that helps! good luck.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
granted im not a poi jedi, i still say that of you doing 5beat transitions between 5beat forwrd and reverse weaves, then that is all you are doin-5 beat transitions. my thinkin is that 6, 7 and 9 beat weaves have their own movements, not simply transitioning from forward to backwrd 5beat weaves. if a weave changes from forwrd to backwrd, i dont think you can count the rotations as extra beats in a weave, a 6, 7 or nine beat weave should be able to be continued in a forwrd or backward and should not need to include a transition from forwrd to backwrd (or vice versa). i might have rambled there, not sure, had alot of coruba tonight. if a jedi poi master, or anyone else wants to tell me im wrong, feel free. this was only my understading of weave beats at the time i wrote this.

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Yes good point- you don't count the 2 beats you make when you are actually turning or transitioning- just the ones you make when you standing on the spot (whilst dancing of course). This is why I suspect you are doing three-beat weaves but forgot to say. Anyway, what he said!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson