Forums > Help! > Renting In Falmouth

Login/Join to Participate

ArythSILVER Member
in a beautiful daze....
134 posts

Posted:
OK so i think i'm going to jack in work next summer and go to university (something i never thought i'd do). There is a course in the university of Exeter at the Tremough campus which i've near enough been told that if i apply i'll get onto. However being one who is used to a monthly wage and still lives at home redface i'm wondering how much it'd cost to live down there i think the uni is in Falmouth or around that area.

I was just wondering if any of you who live down that way could give me some sort of idea how much student accomodation is. I'd be moving with my girlfriend as she wants to do her masters there, so all we'd need is a 1 bedroom flat, i know they're hard to get but whether i can afford to live if i go to uni is my main problem as i'll only have my student loan however much they are, and i'd obviously have to get a job too.

Cheers for the help biggrin

Whatever happened to my green and pleasant land?

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Hey,
You should contact Mags the Jedi - he lives in Falmouth and might be able to help.

Good luck with Uni, hope it all goes well.

hug

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
ummm... well i was renting a room there in a 3 bedroom student house for approx. 55 squids per week.... but that was now a year ago and the prices were likely to go up cos of the Tremough campus.... so maybe 60 squids.... a 1 bedroom flat though is probably harder to find in falmouth, than a room in a bigger student house methinks.... although there ARE flats and they are available to rent...

The college used to provide an accommodation list that was quite good with private landlords etc, or there's property agencies, but most people i know who were renting with them had real problems, so it's not the best. The list will probably come out in about April time and it's best to be quick methinks! Tremough is actually a bit out of Falmouth though, so if you live in the town you will need to get a bus everyday or drive, and car parking is (well, certainly was, probably is still) limited. But i think there are also more places for students in Penryn, which is the village where Tremough is.... but then you'll need to get a bus to get into town.... wink You can go further out to surrounding villages i guess if you really want peace and quiet, but i expect prices will go up.... N.B. in my humble opinion (although bearing in mind, i finished just before the great Tremough campus went live...) would be to live in Falmouth, it's much easier, and the made the buses better and i think you get a free bus pass still. But i have reason to believe that really a lot more stuff is going on up at the Tremough campus now?? i was told this a while ago though, ask Mags for updated information biggrin

Or.... you could live on a boat, which i always wanted to do, but i'm not sure where you find out about that sort of thing, there was a guy who lived in one in a dry boatyard, i don't know if he owned it or what, but it would be pretty damn cool methinks. btw. Falmouth rocks. bounce wink

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
for a one bedroom flat you're lookin at about £400 a month,but bedsits etc are a lot cheaper.search for Heather and Lay,its a local letting agency in the falmouth area.

good luck and give us a shout if/when ur down our way!!xx

Winged AvengerSILVER Member
The official Emma Peel wannabe
226 posts

Posted:
If your still looking for somewhere my friend is wanting to move out of her flatshare from Falmouth town centre. Would you like me to get the details or have you found somewhere? Hers is a double room and the guy who owns the flat is in the navy and is away at 6 months at a time. Its got the most beautiful views across the town. Anyway, let me know! Good luck in your studies.

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
winged avenger....i may be interested in that if aryth isn't can you pm me details??xx

ArythSILVER Member
in a beautiful daze....
134 posts

Posted:
ey guys, cheers for the help but i should of said a couple of weeks ago my situation changed and i'm going to be moving to Dundee as there are no courses in Cornwall for my girlfirend to do, and she wants to get a masters next year whilst i'm studying. Cheers for your help, and hopefuly i'll be moving there on day in the future. smile

Whatever happened to my green and pleasant land?

LostSurferSILVER Member
I'd be in trouble if I had to eat an antelope now
278 posts

Posted:
Yay!

I'm going to be moving to Falmouth next october to do my Masters and can't wait!

I'll have no excuse for not making any Falmouth events then! smile

"Everything in moderation. Even moderation itself. From this it follows that you must, from time to time, have excess. And this is going to be one of those occasions"

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
Hooooorrrraaayyyy!
clap

I don't know who you are, but Im very happy for you! bounce2

What's you masters in?

biggrin

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

LostSurferSILVER Member
278 posts

Posted:
Professional writing, just wish next year was already here! Just thinking about it makes me excited! bounce biggrin

"Everything in moderation. Even moderation itself. From this it follows that you must, from time to time, have excess. And this is going to be one of those occasions"

LostSurferSILVER Member
278 posts

Posted:
Ok, well I'm moving to Falmouth in October, but I haven't been able to sort my accommodation until now. Just wondering if anyone local to Falmouth might have any inside tips to help me out, I'm checking out the Heather and Lay estate agents and the accommodation help on the Falmouth Uni website, but any extra help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers smile

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Hey Dude!

Try looking on here it takes all of the houses that are for rent from the local newspapers.

Failing that, Heather & Lay have always been pretty good with me. smile

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
Heather and Lay are, indeed, good.
Here is a site with a list of estate agents with houses to let in the area.
bounce How exciting! bounce

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

LostSurferSILVER Member
278 posts

Posted:
Thank you for your help! hug

I'll let thee know how it all goes biggrin

nanooknewbie
1 post

Posted:
hi,bit lost! smile but hopin 4 a little help,i am moving down to the falmouth area in a few weeks and am hoping to find a boat to rent and live on,as a cheaper and more interesting way of life! anyone have any ideas where i might start looking before gettin down there,!! my boyfriend says it is his favourite town in england,would love to hear about some nice places around there smile

LostSurferSILVER Member
278 posts

Posted:
Phew!

Well I found a place to live, finally! Just as well as I move over a week on saturday! Going to be living on Grenville Road, don't even know what the house looks like so i expect i'll be living in a cornish crack house!

Can't wait! biggrin

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
ubblol i think it's kind of funny that on an international forum, falmouth has it's own little property thread!

I used to live on welly terrace, so you can all wave hello to the house for me biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

starmelloBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
 Written by: nanook

hi,bit lost! smile but hopin 4 a little help,i am moving down to the falmouth area in a few weeks and am hoping to find a boat to rent and live on,as a cheaper and more interesting way of life! anyone have any ideas where i might start looking before gettin down there,!! my boyfriend says it is his favourite town in england,would love to hear about some nice places around there smile

heehee it looks like were all looking to move to falmouth - ive been thinking about it too! i agree boat life sounds great. any info would be appreciated

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I live in falmouth. It's pretty.

If i can be of any help, pm me up.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988