Forums > Social Discussion > Hop Community - is it changing?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
disclaimer: ok i was going to just reply to the 'old hop heads v.s new hop heads' in social chat just going off the title, but then i realised that this may start a discussion so it would be appropriate here, i did do a search smile and couldnt find anything.

note: its been hard to word this properly and get out the points im trying to make. so please bear with me smile

'old hop heads v.s new hop heads' - and i know the original post was about the moves learnt in ages old tongue
But what i wonder is: there are so many people on hop i personally am thankful to have met and the community which i was introduced to is amazing hug I know im technically still a newbie, only being part of this community for just less than a year, but this is the point im going to raise.

Does anyone think that their may be segregation forming? im just being curious, because i for one, although met many of you, still find it hard to approach those i know especially if their with other hoppers theyve known for years. Because there are so many people now is it getting impersonal?
Now that there are larger amounts of people in this community, does everyone (although still friendly to everyone else) stick to those they met originally? i do understand that those who we've all know for longer are 'closer' or know each other better etc

The postcount has been removed to see if there is an impact on post whoring, and someone mentioned which i would have to admit to is that i look at the post count to see if the person speaking is 'credable', i.e. when making a point in disussion or giving advice, they are the ones most likely to be listened to? I know i hold back in replying to discussions or convosations because i dont want to be uninformed on the topic, or sound silly for not being able to get my point across properly, and especially if i see someone whos replyed who has been a member for a while, is well known and has a high post count.

its hard to try and get across what it is im actually trying to say. I supose the better way would be, i do find it hard to approach those ive already met or know, whether its since i first joined or someone ive met once. Is it the same with anyone else?

in basic i suppose its the following im trying to answer:

* will hop get to the stage of being such a big community that the friendlyness and community will become difficult to keep?

*will it end up as the old skool group and the newbies group?

*will the community become impersonal when theres so many people to remember?

its quiet difficult for me to get this into text out of my head so please bear with me smile im not trying to say it will be a definate a vs b
i think there may be other factors involved which may just be me personaly.

im going to stop there now lol any thoughts or opinions?

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
Written by: house_of_mill

Question is where are the handles!

here with all the best spinners tongue

the original post came to me when i was pondering about my experience of hop, after being at play and a big change in my experience within a year. the change has been good both within hop (how ive seen it) and in my life, but i suppose i was just getting a bit worried that there will be a change which means hop as i know it will be no more, no more hugs and random ramblings of crazyness, no more pings, and no more being able to say what you think/feel/believe without being shot down.

hmmmm i think im starting to think too much, is this what happens when your sober? tongue

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
believe me the pings will never end!

Ping!!!!!

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
pong! tongue

Creater of Jenisms(TM)

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
something tell's me Jen smoked more than here fair share at Play and the head went a lil mental?

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
something tell's me Jen smoked more than her fair share at Play and the head went a lil mental?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
*Another old timer pulls up a rocker on the porch and reminisces....*

Don't forget, as HoP has expanded it has developed pockets and cliques. Today it's easy to join and only hang out in certain intro threads and certain discussion sections. It's actually very possible for two different people to have two very different experiences on HoP. There are some that never leave Chat, some that never enter. I feel like that wasn't the case back in the day. But everyone's experience is different and therefore feels HoPs evolution differently.

I know I felt much closer to some of the core members. It feels like people ebb and flow. You sort of bond with those who came in with you because you were a newbie at the time.

It will continue to evolve. It's happen before, and yes, it's been discussed before. I'm sure I had a babble about it a while ago. Back when I was smart. wink

I miss the old vibe... but much in the same way that I miss my high school friends or early childhood memories.... things change. Wonderful new things fill the space of the wonderful old things that are no longer. Same on HoP.

HoP has been changing since it's inseption. And every so often someone writes a thread about it. It's not 'better' or 'worse' though some individuals may feel so due to their unique perspective on it. It's better for some, worse for some. I know my relationships with many people on HoP has changed over the years. There was certainly a time when NOBODY here would have ever confused Flash for a boy... with all the girly flirting she had going on. wink For most of us who've been here a while the conversations leave the internet and enter reality. I don't write many of my HoP friends much anymore because I get to see them every year.

In many ways, I'm glad I've moved on from who I was years ago and I'm happy for everyone who has moved away from HoP to what they would see as better things.

HoP has provided happy experiences for so many. Some people only stayed for a short time before moving on to other happy experiences elsewhere. And some of us stick around simply because they don't know how to delete their bookmarks. wink

See you all here again next year. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Here are some old threads about similar vibes in the past from...

[Old link]

[Old link]

There were others... but some of them were too heated to quote...

To quote me from 2002...

Written by:

People talk, people disagree, they talk about it, it gets heated, somebody posts the "what the heck is going on here" post, everyone cools off/leaves, the cycle repeats...

It's the cycle of life. Sparkly poi.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
As someone who's been around almost as long as NYC, I agree completely with all that he's said (and well put I might add).

Things will change, people will come and go, but that is the beauty that is HOP.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
See, I forgot how much I miss Sprite jumping in and completely agreeing with everything I say. biggrin

Ahh... Memories. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
it's like the matrix,

and HoP is Zyon, reborn every time.

and new members are like agent smith, becuase they all like like that guy from 'Bad Boy Bubby'

Flash fire is like Trinity because she likes two wheels,

NYC is like the Meruvingian becuase he wears a funny hat,

C@ntus is Neo, becuase he's bad at acting,

Jon UCOF is Mouse becuase he's a digital pimp,

and the Architect is Colonel Sanders.

movies are good.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Cool! I get to be trinity. biggrin Yeah, well we have motorcycles and PVC in common, so I suppose it makes some sort of sense.

lol

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
And me? Huh?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
erm mike would be Frodo, naturally.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
* will hop get to the stage of being such a big community that the friendlyness and community will become difficult to keep? Maybe, but I doubt it. It's people who make it what it is, not the size.

*will it end up as the old skool group and the newbies group? Never

*will the community become impersonal when theres so many people to remember? I doubt it, there's only so many you're likely to meet regardless of size. You will stike up natural friendships with those you're naturally attracted too and visa versa. The rest will just be aquiantances.

Does anyone think that their may be segregation forming?

No, I've met some of the oldest members (a lot lower than member # 1000) and and newest members (I met member # 24000 just before play) this year and have found them all to be lovely people who I'm now happy to call friends instead of aquaintances.

The community is what we make it, personal problems will arise no doubt as it's almost impossible to avoid but I think segregation between "oldies" and "newbies" only arises from intimidation (which in this community must only come from "personal" paranoia and confidence levels!) and huge egos (which in this community are very very rare). Besides, howd you class the difference between oldie and newbie? I don't consider myself either, or maybe that's because I think it's an issue that doesn't really exist wink

If we all try our best to make the community a happy, equalitarian, genial, receptive one that judges people on their actions not on pre-determined unrealistic opinions, it will always be beautiful hug

I agree with NYC somewhat that it is an ever changing and evolving place, I probably wouldn't still be here if it hadn't moved on from what it was a few years ago as it would have grown stale with the same old people and the same old opinions rolling around the place. Change should be embraced not rejected without trial and besides, the more who join the better this place gets and before long we'll have enough to colonise our own island (now where's all those HoP island threads dissapeared too.......) biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yay! NYC stepped in and said a bunch of stuff I was thinking. Brilliant. Wait... NYC stepped in and said a bunch of stuff I was thinking.... dude, you have changed! I mean, not that I always disagreed with you, but I remember some ..er... fiery persuasion which seems to have mellowed into just a bouncy enjoyment for the most part......

Wish I lived near more of you guys tho, thats gotten to be more annoying as the communities grown, the not being near clumps of spinners bit...

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Also, as HoP gets bigger people find more small nooks and crannies to hang out. Back in the day, when HoP was only threads a day forum it was easy to sign on and check everything that was posted. Now it's become sign in and check a few specific intro threads where you know youre friends will be and maybe the forums where they post most often as well.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: bender™

erm mike would be Frodo, naturally.

Of course. Because I like to eat! biggrin

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella